News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

Plowboy

Does anyone have a guesstimate as to when the gondola system will be put into service? We'll be there late Sept./early Oct. All I've been able to find so far is "fall 2019".

Walt d

What we know, based on inform from @MisterPenguin

• This is verified by around 5 insiders, permits, the beginning of construction, and documents obtained by the Orlando Sentinel. [confirmed at D23 2017]

• It will connect POP/AoA and Caribbean with DHS/Epcot. And likely raise the prices there.

• Possible I.D. of the gondola make and model here.

• Can gondolas handle wheelchairs, strollers, and EVC? Yes, here.

• Will it be installed in other places? No plans right now, but, always a possibility if it works out well.

• All the gondola stations will be ground level with a steep incline coming in/out [here]

• gondolas stations will be themed to nearby architecture: International Gateway will be Parisian; DHS will be Art Deco; AoA/Pop will be a Wave (near Little Mermaid); CBR Stations will be regal and stoney (which is which isn't confirmed). [here]

• gondolas will be 8 person cabins from Doppelmayr, have a through-put of 5,000 people per hour, have wi-fi, and ample passive ventilation [here]

• It has been reported that the gondola's will NOT have air conditioning, but there is extensive discussion that this should not be an issue.
11/20/2018:​
Official word from Disney, no A/C:​
A Walt Disney World spokeswoman confirmed Tuesday that the gondolas would not have AC. The cabins were “specifically tailored to provide a comfortable ride for our guests in the Florida climate,” she said. The units will use cross-ventilation for sufficient air flow and reflective windows to prevent direct sunlight, she said.

This has been discussed in other threads but it is time for it to have it's own thread.

Recent permits related to Caribbean Beach Resort and DHS seem to indicate that a new transportation system between CBR, DHS, Epcot and possible AOA might be in the works.

The CBR permit showed these two new structures which by themselves don't look to interesting.

View attachment 189658

A DHS permit this week shows two more new structure around DHS, as well as a construction access road which is not shown here.

View attachment 189659

The shapes, location, and orientation of these structure form a interesting pattern that may not be coincidental. Thanks to @P_Radden for this map.

Based on this information a gondola/skyride system of some sort looks like a possibility.

View attachment 189660

1. First look at concept art: https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/new-gondola-transportation-disney-skyliner.924477/post-7988587
  2. Additional IG, DHS concept art: https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/new-gondola-transportation-disney-skyliner.924477/post-8274905
  3. Pop/AoA concept art: https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/new-gondola-transportation-disney-skyliner.924477/post-8032964
Testing 123 testing 123 hello?
Heat won't be a problem for the Florida climate
Yeah because it doesn’t get over 50 in Orlando Florida

Lensman

But to answer your question the official top speed can be 11.5 mph however normal operating speed is expected to be 11 mph. In station loading will be 1 foot p/minute.
Thanks for the info @Driver!

The 1 foot p/minute sounds slow for the station. Can you check again and report back?

I'd expect something more like 1 foot per second on the main turnaround loops since the 13 foot long cabins have to go by a given spot on the loading platform once every 10-11 seconds in order to maintain 10-11 second cabin spacing on the line.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the info @Driver!

The 1 foot p/minute sounds slow for the station. Can you check again and report back?

I'd expect something more like 1 foot per second on the main turnaround loops since the 13 foot long cabins have to go by a given spot on the loading platform once every 10-11 seconds in order to maintain 10-11 second cabin spacing on the line.

We have definitely established the 1 foot per minute is wrong.

Sped2424

Testing 123 testing 123 hello?

Yeah because it doesn’t get over 50 in Orlando Florida
If you read what I said lol heating for the gondola's won't be a problem given the florida climate. As the post I quoted was worried that the lack of heating in these gondola's would be an issue. Context is everything!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom