News Walk Around the World Bricks to be removed around the Magic Kingdom and TTC

Mikey73181

Wait. Why won't they just give back the originals? Are they too damaged from years of being walked on?

I know a lot of the ones closer to the park entrance/monorail/boats etc are pretty worn from being walked on everyday for 20+ years. Plus it would take forever to take out one brick at a time carefully to not damage them.

Tom Morrow

I totally understand there was an agreement. It just seems foolish to me to have someone (park guests) cover the cost of a walkway that big, and Disney just say nah, We'll just PAY someone millions (I'm sure) to redo the whole thing.
You're not getting it. It was not some sort of scheme to have guests cover the cost of the walkways, as it would have been far cheaper and easier to NOT do the bricks at all.

However, charging for a replica of the brick is just yet another cash grab.

matt9112

i cant really blame them. in reality a smooth surface is safer and likely whats coming with the changes. its also a probability that not all bricks HAVE to be removed but the new entry infrastructure would mean SOME have to go and its a matter of being level headed. people would be in an uproar if these 100 bricks have to go but those 100 etc dont. couple that with the inability to guarentee safe removal and its a no brainer.

BoarderPhreak

Oh wow. Unlike the Tombstones of Epcot™ I kind of liked these. Granted, they might've pressure washed them once in a while.

i.php

flynnibus

Premium Member
Wait. Why won't they just give back the originals? Are they too damaged from years of being walked on?

Because it would be far far far more expensive to try to remove them, inventory, store, process, re-pack, etc.. and what about those that didn't survive, etc.

No way, at $10 they are basically just diffusing costs, not fleecing anyone. They are likely still to lose money in that whole process anyways. It's actually a nice gesture Disney is doing anything at all.. vs just saying "so long and thanks for all the fish"

But not quoted in the news so far... price to ship those suckers!

The news so far is not 100% clear yet if the souvenir version will be customized like your original.. can you clarify @wdwmagic ?

shernernum

You're not getting it. It was not some sort of scheme to have guests cover the cost of the walkways, as it would have been far cheaper and easier to NOT do the bricks at all.

While I agree with the fact that they have run their course and they have been there more than 8 years past their date of agreed upon display so no one can really complain.....I have a hard time believing they lost money on these when they were first put in.

If that were the case these wouldn't be a go to fundraiser for Churches and other organizations. Yes the inscribed bricks cost more than regular walkways, but I doubt the difference in cost was more than what was being charged for them.

flynnibus

Premium Member
While I agree with the fact that they have run their course and they have been there more than 8 years past their date of agreed upon display so no one can really complain.....I have a hard time believing they lost money on these when they were first put in.

Not that they lose money.. the comment was it was 'cheaper and easier' to NOT do it all. Which would be true. Just think of all the extra labor and manpower spent on these things vs the acres of just power washed pavement everywhere else.

HiJe

My family had one just to the left of the Monorail station. Will definitely try to find it on my next trip. Wish they would just let you tear out your brick yourself if you happen to be there, but understand why that would be a bad idea.

KBLovedDisney

Thank goodness. In their current state, I'm reminded of the yellow brick road in Return to Oz.
Yeah, I have tripped on them at times sadly. I just wish there was a way that they could be preserved versus completely destroyed.

I just really don't like that they offer the people who bought the original bricks to pay again in order just to receive a souvenir copy brick. Doesn't that mean anyone can claim that they owned one and Disney could just make a souvenir copy?

Monorail_Red_77

Maybe someone should tell Eisner on his next trip to WDW to grab his.... No really, He has a brick there too. It is gray and on the left side of the MK Castle logo. I found it a while back.

Hope they keep the MK logo in front though in some fashion.

Also this was done at the Disney Vero Beach Resort. Not sure if it was part of the same program or not. They look the same hexagon style though.

BigThunderMatt

Speaking as someone who tripped on these on the daily because they had come loose or lifted up more on one side because of one reason or another, I say good riddance. This walkway needed to be ripped out years ago, they weren't maintaining it as it was.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom