News New Play Pavilion to replace Epcot's Wonders of Life

DreamfinderGuy

The difference is that with Tron and Guardians, where ever they went would carry the burden that one area would have their thematic integrity screwed up further. Unfortunately Future World doesn’t have the liberty of being inside a castle park.

DreamfinderGuy

Guardians fits just as much as Buzz and Stitch in my own opinion. Heck, it fits as much as the Incredibles did. Ah well. No one listens to varying opinions anyways.
You’re right on all counts. The thing is that Tomorrowland is an even worse cluster**** than Future World is, and nobody seems to care. There’s more things that don’t fit than there are things that do. At least with Tron we break even.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Simple answer. Adding attractions based on Disney movies. Although now that you’ve got me thinking, I’d prefer to think of it as Hollywood Studios 2.0, 2.0.

Adding attractions based on economically successful Disney movies. Not just merely showing a net positive return over production and marketing costs. That also begs the question about even invoking "Hollywood" as these days most movies and TV series are filmed elsewhere.

IMHO a digital Play pavilion is great as IP content could be rotated easier than dedicated physical infrastructure.

tirian

Hate to disagree, but feel I must add a comment from my personal experiences. A lot of those ride names are simply not household names. Many people think the Magic Kingdom = Disney World. Some even think it's called Disneyland. These people don't have any idea what Big Thunder Mountain Railroad is let alone what the Carousel of Progress is or what the Tiki Room is. I've even spoken with people who went to the parks who couldn't name even half of the rides they went on. It's crazy. I don't know how someone can go to Disney World on two different occasions and still calls the Magic Kingdom Disneyland, but alas, it happened.

Our group here, and those who are Disney fans, are hyper aware of what's going on at Walt Disney World. There's an entirely different group who don't have a clue. Nothing against those folks, but just adding that there's a large segment who doesn't research and doesn't know a thing about the four theme parks - or that there even are four theme parks.

I can't fault Disney for shifting in the direction that's more commonly known. It's by far the easier route. It may disappoint me some, but I can't say I fault them when I've seen the other side of the coin - the people who don't book FastPass+ reservations, don't do any advance planning and don't know the ride names.
Even if guests can’t name the rides, they’re familiar with the attractions and experiences. Plenty of people call Aurora “Sleeping Beauty,” or Ariel the “Little Mermaid.” That doesn’t mean they aren’t familiar with the movies.

Shifting to only cartoons is a lazy way out of developing new ideas, and it doesn’t give guests credit for enjoying new experiences. Do we think Walt actually cared what people called POTC?

Sir_Cliff

Does Stitch really sell a lot of merchandise? I guess I wasn't aware of that.
Last time I was at WDW I think I saw more Stitch t-shirts than any character other than Mickey. I know that's anecdotal, but the fact they were also selling Stitch merchandise all over the place while newer properties like Moana were almost entirely missing also points to him being a big seller.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom