News Walt Disney World theme park ticket price increases go into effect March 12 2019

seascape

With record profits I ask myself why does Disney continue to raise prices and and add new fees for things that once were "free" (probably hidden somewhere). Cost of labor up? material costs up? stock holder demand? or simple we raise prices because we can? Sad
How crowded do you want the parks? If the ticket prices were $75 a day and annual pass starting at 200, they would attract 100 million a year in attendance and no one would be able to move. They need high prices to keep the attendance down to a reasonable level. Maybe the solution is to limit attendance to those staying onsite. Oh wait, that would would keep the middleclass out. If you don't like what Disney charges don't go and let those of us who don't mind paying more to have less people in the park enjoy it. If you want low prices go to Six Flags and Cedar Fair parks. They are enjoyable and not priced as an international park.

seascape

I wonder how man people go to WDW and pay for the trip up front or go into debt paying with plastic and carry that debt paying interest for who knows how long. Kind of like the government barrow now and kick repayment way down the road.
People should not go into debt to pay for vacation. Debt should only be used to pay for homes. Debt for depreciating assets like cars is wrong but at least cars have a real value and without a car getting to work is almost impossible.

Student loans should be illegal because Colleges are a business and need students to stay in business so they would find a way to continue without making students go into debt. I still remember when the news media cared about the public and said when supermarkets started to take credit cards how wrong it was to use debt to pay for necessities. Today the news owned by the parents of Disney and Universal that debt is okay. NBC and ABC should report news and try to educate the public on how bad debt is.

Finally, buying DVC with debt is also dumb. If you really want to save money and go to Disney buy a timeshare on EBay. There are thousands in Orlando for $1.00 and you get your pick of which resort and week. You can even find some point based systems like Bluegreen and Wyndham. Be smart and don't waste money.

Ralf

I bought my 2-day park hopper plus tickets back in February WITH the flexible date option, for my family of 4.

Checking the prices today, it would have cost me an additional $300 if i bought them today!

Part of the increase (about $55-60 / $7 dollars per person per day) is the new ticket price, but the biggest part is the flexible date option which is now about $87 per person. If i remember correctly... this was about $ 25/30 per person!

Still a bit shocked! Anyone with the same 'results'?

Edit: i bought them directly via the MDE app

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
People should not go into debt to pay for a vacation. Be smart and don't waste money.

That's what some would say is the problem with allowing people to make economic decisions by themselves, they can make bad ones and suffer the consequences. Others will argue that everything should be strictly regimented and the decisions made for everyone.

I'm for free choice which also encompasses the freedom to fail.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The median income in the US is just about $60,000.

That means there are about 160 million people in the US who make more than that.

So, there is no shortage of people who can afford the price increases.

With Disney parks being a premier and highly-sought after experience, Disney can pull from the top 50% and keep their parks more-than-full.

Let's say Disney cut their prices in half. Then you'd get another 50 million people who can afford a Disney vacation. Where are they going to fit?

John park hopper

Numerous post on this forum have stated Disney raises prices to limit the crowds. Can anyone cite where this is stated in the Disney pricing strategy or is this just speculation?

seascape

That means there are about 160 million people in the US who make more than that.

With Disney parks being a premier and highly-sought after experience, Disney can pull from the top 50% and keep their parks more-than-full.

Let's say Disney cut their prices in half. Then you'd get another 50 million people who can afford a Disney vacation. Where are they going to fit?
Disney and Universal go after the top 20%. I don't remember who did the study but there was one about 18 months ago which said that person who go to themeparks, including regional parks was in the top 40%. That would mean even Six Flags and Cedar Fair don't go after the average person. If you listen to their quarterly conference calls you would realize that. Especially Six Flags that keeps talking about their Diamond and Diamond Elite Memberships.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Numerous post on this forum have stated Disney raises prices to limit the crowds. Can anyone cite where this is stated in the Disney pricing strategy or is this just speculation?

Iger in his quarterly meetings has repeatedly talked about price manipulation (raising prices overall and discounting off-peak seasons) in order to spread out guests. He specifically noted that overcrowding lowered guests enjoyment of the parks.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I wonder how man people go to WDW and pay for the trip up front or go into debt paying with plastic and carry that debt paying interest for who knows how long. Kind of like the government barrow now and kick repayment way down the road.
I'm guessing there are lots of woman people paying for their trips as well... let's not lock people up in gender boxes, OK?? OK!!

jt04

Iger in his quarterly meetings has repeatedly talked about price manipulation (raising prices overall and discounting off-peak seasons) in order to spread out guests. He specifically noted that overcrowding lowered guests enjoyment of the parks.

Supply and demand pricing.

Bermination

Just remember that according to the department of labor and statistics, in the United States we only have 152 million people working... That said, Disney targets the top ten percent of that number...

Kingtut

I don’t think most people would ever want to admit “I can’t afford to go to Disney World” because doing so would mean they are too poor to partake in one of the biggest rites of passage in our culture. So as long as there are credit cards and a desire for Disney “magic” I don’t see crowds dying down anytime soon.

The only way they can fix the overcrowding issue is to lower park capacity. Only allow a certain number of people inside at any given time. But we know that won’t happen EVER. :rolleyes:
Why is the blame for overcrowding not sticking to Disney? They have determined that this is ALL the park that we will support and we will cram in as many people as possible for as long as possible. Why no additional rides/shows/attractions? Why are things shut down at peak times? Why are there shorter hours than there used to be in the past? To my point of view it this is equivalent to Apple saying that they are only going to produce X number of iPhone's this year no matter how many more people are willing to buy them, and do that year after year. Disney is leaving money in the wallets of potential customers and that should make the shareholders angry. There is no law of the universe that says Disney must always be the prime family vacation destination for all time.

I must be in a bad mood today.

Tom P.

Disney was never for the masses. It is a lie that gets passed along by those who don't want to admit they came from families that were rich or were lucky to live near a Disney park.
I'll keep repeating this as many times as I need to.

Disney has literally the most popular vacation destinations on the planet. In 2017, Magic Kingdom had over 20 million visitors. Disneyland had over 18 million visitors. Combined, you're approaching 40 million visitors in one year. And I think we can safely assume that the vast majority of people do not visit parks on both coasts in the same year, so most of that is unique visitors.

Either your assessment is wrong, or there are way more rich people in this country than we are led to believe.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I'll keep repeating this as many times as I need to.

Disney has literally the most popular vacation destinations on the planet. In 2017, Magic Kingdom had over 20 million visitors. Disneyland had over 18 million visitors. Combined, you're approaching 40 million visitors in one year. And I think we can safely assume that the vast majority of people do not visit parks on both coasts in the same year, so most of that is unique visitors.

Either your assessment is wrong, or there are way more rich people in this country than we are led to believe.

Well the first major flaw in your argument is assuming the Park attendence numbers are UNIQUE visitors. They are not. Even the average tourist week trip is 5 days... so cut that 20 million number by 5 just to start. Then consider how many repeat visitors there are a year, etc.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom