News Height requirements for Star Wars Galaxy's Edge rides and details on FastPass+

The_Jobu

I cant wait to see the crowds when this open. Not personally of course, that sounds like torture, but looking forward to all the vloggers who dont get passes.

hopemax

Excited that the rides will open without FP+, but I'm wondering if this is more concern on Disney's part about operational reliability than anything else. It's a headache avoided, to not have to deal with people who missed their FP window because the ride was down. Trying to cycle them through once the ride comes back up (without driving the standby to a complete standstill). Or allows some people (with flexible tickets/flexible schedule) "to try again tomorrow," if the ride is down all day.

Also, potential "I have a FP, but I can't get into the land because it's reached capacity" issues.

Patcheslee

Does anyone have an idea how dramatically the park attendance at Animal Kingdom Changed after opening week of Avatar? I guess what I am wondering is how long did the crush last? I have reservations for October and I am wondering if things will still be insane at Hollywood Studios or if there will be more typical Disney crowds by then?
We started vacation June 3rd of 2017, somehow got FOP fp+ for June 5th. The standby was still going past the line entrance. CMs had to have extra area roped off for standby, stop the sidewalk traffic to let the standby line cross to the entrance of the queue. Line into the land got backed up when it started to get dark, more crowded than in daylight. It wasn't horrible but when FP+ is 45 minutes you thank God you managed to get one. Lots of ppl stopping in the middle to take pics of course which compounded crowding. I'd personally expect not to make it into the GE area without at least showing to RD a couple hours before. Alot more ppl stopping to do the interactive parts in Black Spire, so yes INSANE.

djkidkaz

Interesting to see that RotR has a higher height restriction than Smugglers Run. It's in the same league as Soarin, ToT and Star Tours. I checked and the Ratatouille ride in Paris (which uses the same trackless ride tech) has no height restrictions. Whatever they have planned for that "drop" at the end must be pretty wild.

Does anyone know what kind of drop is expected? Maybe a comparison? Are we talking closer to pirates? Splash? Tower of terror?

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Disneyland's Space Mountain is incredibly smooth. MK's is much rougher. You're allowed to like MK's over Disneyland's, but you are very much in the minority.
"Smoother" is a selling point for you? The premise of the ride is "hurtling through space." It's not supposed to be smooth. The Disneyland track doesn't actually DO anything. No drops or plunges. I found it incredibly dull.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Disneyland's Space Mountain is incredibly smooth. MK's is much rougher. You're allowed to like MK's over Disneyland's, but you are very much in the minority.
"Smoother" is a selling point for you? The premise of the ride is "hurtling through space." It's not supposed to be smooth. The Disneyland track doesn't actually DO anything. No drops or plunges. I found it incredibly dull.

Perhaps y'all need to define what you mean by 'smooth.'

SpMt has a lot of lateral jerking with no big drops. I didn't notice any rattling.

So, what makes it smooth or not: rattling? lateral jerking? sudden G's?

RSoxNo1

WDW's has that one drop about 2/3 through that I think is amazing. It's not a "big drop" but it's thrilling in the dark.
How do you feel about the break run right before that drop?

Smoothness is a function of better wheels and a smoother track. Because the Florida rockets are low slung they feel every weld of the track, it's not as rough as the Matterhorn, but certainly not what I want.

The biggest advantage Disneyland has over Florida though is the onboard audio and a great audio track. Without it, it would be inferior largely for the reasons you mentioned. Tokyo Disney's track doesn't have the onboard audio (or at least didn't when I was there) and it was nowhere near as good a ride as Disneyland's for me.

ToTBellHop

Smoothness is a function of better wheels and a smoother track. Because the Florida rockets are low slung they feel every weld of the track, it's not as rough as the Matterhorn, but certainly not what I want.

The biggest advantage Disneyland has over Florida though is the onboard audio and a great audio track. Without it, it would be inferior largely for the reasons you mentioned. Tokyo Disney's track doesn't have the onboard audio (or at least didn't when I was there) and it was nowhere near as good a ride as Disneyland's for me.
I did not find Space to be rattley or jarring at all last month.

Most seem to agree that WDW’s version has a more fun layout. If they replaced the track but kept the existing layout (as planned years back), WDW’s SM would likely be just about everyone’s favorite domestically. This makes its dialed back refurb all the more infuriating. For a painful ride, I look to DLP’s (at least a few years back; assume it still hurts to ride). I also found Hulk to be quite painful before its retracking (enough that I didn’t like it).

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member

Only been on it once, but I didn't find Matterhorn all that rough either.

RSoxNo1

I did not find Space to be rattley or jarring at all last month.

Most seem to agree that WDW’s version has a more fun layout. If they replaced the track but kept the existing layout (as planned years back), WDW’s SM would likely be just about everyone’s favorite domestically. This makes its dialed back refurb all the more infuriating. For a painful ride, I look to DLP’s (at least a few years back; assume it still hurts to ride). I also found Hulk to be quite painful before its retracking (enough that I didn’t like it).
I'd like to see WDW's Space Mountain move to Epcot in a total rebuild w/on board audio. Also, seats 2 and 5 on Space Mountain in WDW are the most comfortable IMO.

mikejs78

Premium Member
The Disney World site states that both attractions will not offer FP+ initially.
Source?

Attractions: For your vacation planning purposes, please be aware that Disney FASTPASS service, including access via Disney MaxPass, (at Disneyland park) and Disney FastPass+ service (at Disney’s Hollywood Studios) will not initially be offered at Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run. We will continually evaluate our operations and services in order to help provide a great guest experience.

I really think the real reason they aren't offering FP+ for Smugglers Run is because RotR isn't open to balance off the FP demand.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom