News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

jt04

The only time I think the gondolas will be filled is the rush after Epcot fireworks but even those numbers should not overwhelm the system. The vast majority of the time (after the initial rush because it is new) parties will have their own gondola. Possibly early morning and as mentioned, after fireworks, you won't have your own gondola. Both times of the day when temperatures are cooler.

IMO.

trainplane3

SETTING:
DIS C-Suite

RANDOM SUIT: Sir, we are getting our test reports back on the Skyliner and they aren't looking too hot.

BOB IGER: Skyliner?

RANDOM SUIT: Ah yes, sir, it's the new gondola system at Walt Disney World.

BOB IGER: Ok.

RANDOM SUIT: Well, you see, sir. The gondolas are getting a bit more hot and humid in the cabin then the initial models predicted. The tests really seem to suggest it could be quite uncomfortable for guests in the heat of July and August.

BOB IGER: It's not excessively uncomfortable, is it?

RANDOM SUIT: Um, uh, um, well, no. No sir, it's definitely not excessive.

BOB IGER: Carry on.

END SCENE.
It's more:
RANDOM SUIT: Well, you see, sir. The gondolas are getting a bit more hot and humid in the cabin then the initial models predicted. The tests really seem to suggest it could be quite uncomfortable for guests in the heat of July and August.

BOB IGER: Did anyone die?

RANDOM SUIT: Well, no but-

:p

HiJe

It's more:

:p

Further:

RANDOM SUIT: There could be lawsuits evantually.

BOB IGER: Well, I don't know. Just put up some non-descript signage somewhere.

mmascari

The weather downtime issue has been re-evaluated. There’s a possibility of a bare bones bus service to take up some of the slack given the realisation (!) the system will probably close down for several hours a day in the summer. Not the most elegant solution but better than nothing.
Budget allocation.
It’s predicted to be longer than that given the safety radius.
Lightning is the bigger concern.

This sounds like they're just keeping some budget for busses instead of driving the number to 0.

My questions are:
What do they do with the Friendship boats at the same time?
Do they just make those people walk or is there some other solution?

If they just make those people walk, it would be nice if they ran a resort to resort bus route as the skyliner backup plan. From an Epcot resort to the others and on to HS. This way, from IG, they can direct people to someplace closer than the front of the park. Looking at a map, they're not that much closer, but it's something. Adding an IG bus stop on Epcot Resorts Blvd would be even better, they could run a Skyliner weather service and an Epcot resort loop weather service. I'm not holding my breath for this, but it would be a nice thought.

Keeping some budget for bussing instead of none is nice, but they also need to make sure some operational process items are considered too.

rle4lunch

Further:

Two words.. Solar Swamp Coolers... Well, THREE words...

trainplane3

Further:

Further-er:
BOB IGER: Anyways, where's that girl that wanted to take me out to lunch?

ABQ

Though it's an average, and therefore not at all set in stone, statistically, thunderstorms usually develop at the time of day when the surface air is the warmest, which is generally around 2 to 4 pm. This is not when the gondolas would be at their busiest anyway. As stated before, after park closures will be its heaviest hit time. The mornings will be interesting to see. Bus stops outside resorts today have a crowd of people at times, but that's them all waiting on the bus, if the gondola is running, that crowd shouldn't be waiting all that long unless they wait till 15 minutes before rope drop to fire up the lines.

drizgirl

Though it's an average, and therefore not at all set in stone, statistically, thunderstorms usually develop at the time of day when the surface air is the warmest, which is generally around 2 to 4 pm. This is not when the gondolas would be at their busiest anyway. As stated before, after park closures will be its heaviest hit time. The mornings will be interesting to see. Bus stops outside resorts today have a crowd of people at times, but that's them all waiting on the bus, if the gondola is running, that crowd shouldn't be waiting all that long unless they wait till 15 minutes before rope drop to fire up the lines.
That will probably be true in a decade when Galaxy's Edge crowds die down.

Last edited:

cindy_k

This sounds like they're just keeping some budget for busses instead of driving the number to 0.

My questions are:
What do they do with the Friendship boats at the same time?
Do they just make those people walk or is there some other solution?

If they just make those people walk, it would be nice if they ran a resort to resort bus route as the skyliner backup plan. From an Epcot resort to the others and on to HS. This way, from IG, they can direct people to someplace closer than the front of the park. Looking at a map, they're not that much closer, but it's something. Adding an IG bus stop on Epcot Resorts Blvd would be even better, they could run a Skyliner weather service and an Epcot resort loop weather service. I'm not holding my breath for this, but it would be a nice thought.

Keeping some budget for bussing instead of none is nice, but they also need to make sure some operational process items are considered too.

Would they, could they build a bus stop here? For bad weather? It would seem the best way to fix weather issues at IG.

MickeyMinnieMom

The weather downtime issue has been re-evaluated. There’s a possibility of a bare bones bus service to take up some of the slack given the realisation (!) the system will probably close down for several hours a day in the summer. Not the most elegant solution but better than nothing.
Lightning is the bigger concern.
:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

So the gondolas will be as reliable as the now defunct express bus transportation because of lightning??

Is this what other locations around the world do with their systems when there’s the infamous-and-incredibly-frequent-in-the-summer “lightning in the area”??

Sir_Cliff

With family members who have worked in the parks, and experienced these things first hand, I can tell you that couples have gone at it just about everywhere you can imagine. CMs have had to do everything from make PA announcements on Pirates of the Caribbean ("You know we can see you?!") to remove used condoms from the Swiss Family Treehouse (listening to bands wasn't the only things kids were doing on Grad Nights/Nights of Joy)!
As long as they keep the mood music less arousing than that of the Swiss Family Treehouse, hopefully people will behave themselves. I mean, just imagine being alone with your loved one arm in arm, admiring the views while in the background...

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
When weather issues shut down the Friendship Boats, the bus is at the main gate. No buses at the IG for people wanting to get to the Swan.

So... if the gondola's down... front gate for everyone.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom