News Star Wars Galaxy's Edge Disney's Hollywood Studios opening date

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I’m booked on site for Labor Day weekend. We arrive the day after opening. The earliest day we would go to DHS is Saturday 8/31.

Can someone help with how long the lines were just to enter Pandora and Carsland were? I know for TSL, it was just opening day. Do we think those huge lines just to enter will hang around for weeks after official opening or just a day or two?

This should help

I would expect huge lines for weeks/months, especially given the land will be missing a lot of its designed capacity due to not being fully open.

drod1985

After seeing Pandora and TSL opening days I swore I wouldn't do the same for Galaxy's Edge.

So naturally my buddy and I just booked August 28-30 at Coronado Springs. 🤦‍♂️

We decided not to renew our APs this year and wait till 2020 so we'd get a full year of Galaxy's Edge included. So this is going to be a single day in the park for me - just opening day. I'm looking at it as more for the experience of being there on the opening rather than hoping to do and see everything in the land. I think the vibe will be crazy, and I'm looking forward to it.

I'm assuming we'll want to show up around 4am for a 7am EMH opening. Hopefully not much earlier than that.

LSLS

So my opinion for what it's worth. I think it's a bad idea just in that it's not delivering the best guest experience. Beyond only having a single ride, that is a lot more people stuck in the land (or not able to even enter the land if it ends up like Pandora).

BUT, my main question is the motive. If this is truly just that everything is done, and they are fine tuning a single ride, I'm not super mad or anything (again, I think it's bad for guest experience, but not sure it's that much a difference, and like others have said, not going to impact me most likely). But if the motivation is that they want to try to increase crowds for their end of year numbers, there is a part of me that is REALLY worried this is not the only thing that won't be completed. If that is the true motive, I would think they would have no issue leaving details out just to make sure it gets open in time to pad their numbers. I don't think this is the case (unless an insider knows otherwise), but the sad part is, I'm not able to rule it out either.

ColdSun

Do any of you have any more or less educated guesses when Fastpass+ will be available for the SW:GE attractions in WDW? How was this handled when Pandora opened?
I'm planning to (hopefully) travel from Europe together with my mom in January/February 2020. My mom is a huge Star Wars fan and she is already so psyched about seeing those attraction but truth is, she's not gonna be physically able to wait in line for a long time 😕.
Right now I'm really hoping that Disney will add some Early Morning Magic and/or After Hours for Galaxy's Edge...

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Do any of you have any more or less educated guesses when Fastpass+ will be available for the SW:GE attractions in WDW? How was this handled when Pandora opened?
I'm planning to (hopefully) travel from Europe together with my mom in January/February 2020. My mom is a huge Star Wars fan and she is already so psyched about seeing those attraction but truth is, she's not gonna be physically able to wait in line for a long time 😕.
Right now I'm really hoping that Disney will add some Early Morning Magic and/or After Hours for Galaxy's Edge...

There is really no precedent for this since there will not be Fastpass when the land first opens. It's really hard to guess how long it will stay that way.

flynnibus

Premium Member
All the lands mentioned opened with full capacity. All rides opened together. I don’t think you understand my point.

The examples are to illustrate that Disney controls when and who does these deep dive media events you are so worried about being hard. Those are things Disney does when it wants... not like normal reporting that says “hey something is happening... send reporters!”. That’s not how Disney does press or media onsite. They control all media access on site.

They can promote it later if they want... they can give insider previews if they want... Disney controls the message and the access.

Wow it is all becoming so clear. Disney controls the media!!! They can get press when ever they demand it. I can’t believe I’ve been so wrong.
Congrats!!!!!

Your sarcasm is off base. For onsite tv media... it’s 100% true... and they are ruthless about it.

You are so focused on the “opening”... and what you are missing is Disney doesn’t need to focus purely on the immediate opening. This is an asset that they will be promoting as new for years. New for these shows like theview etc are simply when Disney dictates it’s “new”. When they promote it is when they want to drive new interest... not just when it actually opens.

Remember bob said they weren’t going to invest in heavy promotion to open? That’s because they know they don’t need to up front and it’s not time bound. They can run some “insider view..” 6-9 months later and still have exclusive access and content and still make it “new” and relevant to its audiences.

They can do spring break at “the new swge...” and not miss a beat. They don’t have to be there opening week, etc.

Like I said many times already, but you never comment on, I am more concerned with opening the land at 3/4 or 1/2 of its capacity. Given the popularity, that seems like a bad idea for guest who want to experience the Galaxy’s Edge. […]

So how do you feel about the land opening with a reduced capacity. Do you have a opinion about that?
Oh, you never said whether you were visiting in September. Are you?

I think it’s people being disappointed and trying to find things to pull in that would make their concern far more than just emotions.

Does it hurt the “Big Bang” opening and reveal? Of course... but in this day and age of tours, bts, social media, construction following, etc... that big reveal is no where near what it used to be 20+ years ago.

99% of the people here for instance are going to first experience this land through someone else. So if it opens aug or Jan really isn’t going to change that unless you have a trip planned. This land and opening is not all about aug or dec... it’s something for decades to come. Step back and look at the bigger picture.

As for capacity... I am far more concerned that everything is overwhelmed making it a bad experience for guests. Things running out of stock, waits longer than what is practical, lack of anywhere to sit or find shelter, etc. demand will be so high... RoTR would not have fixed it at all. And in some ways, it would have made demand even worse. Demand so far exceeds what rotr can absorb... so it’s not the fix... nor is it the cause of the over subscription.

So the idea of a phased opening helps diffuse some of that Big Bang demand.

In the grand scheme it will not hurt swge’s usefulness over its intended use. When people enjoy Epcot today, do you think anyone is upset that imagination and the American adventure did not open when Epcot first opened? As soon as it’s open and operating regularly everyone will forget it and look at it as just interesting history.

I still think Disney will end up having to regulate capacity in the land and or shops to save the experience.

People will want more rides... of course they will... they always do. But they will still find enjoyment in what they have.

Remember Star Wars weekends?
Remember all the content like launch bay, the parades, etc Disney has done over the last few years?

None of that meant new Star Wars rides... yet people still flocked to that stuff by the millions. This will be that and more... way more.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I am not most guests and I imagine you are not the average guest either considering your passion on this topic.
I think guests do enjoy the other aspects too (whether they realize it or not) but, their main focus is on rides. Not for you, or even the passionate Star Wars fan, just the average guest.

And I remind you of the Star Wars content Disney has been using for years... none of which were new rides... and people still ate it up.

This is just new pieces to a Disney trip,.l it’s not like this is some new separate gate people are buying separate admission to and find out it only has opine ride.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Just point it out. I’m being sincere here.

Simple... for many it takes away what they thought the experience would be... it’s taking away some goal they wanted. When in reality, that same thing will be available as they thought 6 or 9 months later.

But in your best veruca salt.... I want it now!

All the hype about “but guests want rides!”... ummmm has everyone somehow forgotten these are Disney parks? Where actual rides are a minority? Amazing how many people somehow forgot all of a sudden how few rides world showcase... or even dak had.

If there was nothing else to entertain people... then yes I,d agree. NFL really only had belles village area to entertain besides the rides... and toy story land only has props... but that’s not what swge will be.

People spend hours just admiring and enjoying areas like hogsmeade... that’s what this will be but a whole lot more as well.

Ideas like “but what about repeatability etc” have no impact on the time period we are talking about here.

It’s a problem that will heal itself if you just wait.

perfectparanoia

We are going to be there from August 22-30 (too late to cancel). I am praying that this doesn't affect us too much. We will not be going anywhere near DHS on the 29th or 30th. Thoughts?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom