News Star Wars Galaxy's Edge Disney's Hollywood Studios opening date

Tom P.

Disney has been desperately trying to get people to book vacations this year. Free Dining dropped on an unprecedented early date and with dates and availability unheard of for many years. Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party went on sale earlier than ever. Room discounts have been plentiful. And, even today, there is still tons of availability at the Disney resorts at reasonable prices.

My supposition is that all of their marketing has not been able to produce the bookings that they want, solely and completely because of anticipation for Galaxy's Edge. So someone, somewhere (Iger?) decided that they had to open it early to get the attendance numbers.

If they had opened October 1st, as some had speculated, that's starting not only a new quarter but a new fiscal year. They don't want to report end-of-year attendance figures that look bad. By opening on August 29th, they get a month of attendance numbers from Galaxy's Edge to report on before the close of the fiscal year.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Does anyone have an idea when or if they'll announce paid preview parties or DVC/AP previews?
No word on that yet. With the opening moving up, I'm not sure how much earlier it can be ready. It wouldn't surprise me to see CM previews and then straight into the general opening Aug 29. Then perhaps AP events after hours at a later time.

Tom P.

I'm sure Disney planned it that way. Personally, I wouldn't go near the place that weekend, SWGE or not. Not to mention the heat/humidity. Full pass.
We have a Walt Disney World vacation already booked at that time. We got free dining, which for our family of seven is huge. To rebook different dates now would represent a very significant price increase. So we're still going to go.

But the thing is, Galaxy's Edge or even Hollywood Studios is not the end all/be all of our vacation. Yes, I'd like to see it and so would my kids. But we were planning to go before we knew it would be open, and if we miss seeing it, we can handle that. I suspect those days following the opening will be great days to be in the other theme parks, the water parks, etc. as everyone makes a mad dash for Hollywood Studios.

Jeremy Geertsema

No word on that yet. With the opening moving up, I'm not sure how much earlier it can be ready. It wouldn't surprise me to see CM previews and then straight into the general opening Aug 29. Then perhaps AP events after hours at a later time.
Opening early may be good for us fans, but you'd think Disney would want to monetize this process as much as possible.

LSLS

I guess the other question is how soon do you think they have soft openings for Rise of the Resistance after the Grand Opening of Galaxy's Edge (especially at DHS where I would imagine that RotR may possible be much closer to completion when Galaxy's Edge opens).

I didn't even think about soft openings. That screen shot from earlier states it will open later THIS YEAR. To me, that means they will not really have a chance at "soft opening" as it will be complete chaos there for the rest of the year.

We will be in Florida for opening! Don’t plan to go on opening day but am very, VERY excited about the possibility of even getting into the land as it was not something we expected when we booked! We will keep an eye out for hard ticket events or DVC/Passholder events though as I am not one for queuing for hours (even though I am English!).

If we manage to get in, great! If not, it will wait until we are back early next year!

Trekkie101

I expect both resorts will launch phase 2 on the same day. I strongly believe this will be October 1st. They've gotta work out crowd logistics quickly and they need to try and stagger demand if they can.

Ismael Flores

A reservation will not be offered or required to experience Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge at the Walt Disney World Resort, although capacity will be limited. Additionally, Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge will be open during Extra Magic Hours

yes saw that but it does not relate to my answer. The person I responded to was concerned about her friend having booked her trip already and that it happened to fall on the same day that Disneyland will be opening their new land. seems that this thread has people from both coasts discussing the openings of both resorts.

Casper Gutman

From everything I know, the Rise of the Resistance is where the real wow of this land is.

For those guests that don't know about the two phases, I suspect there may be a "Is that it?!?" reaction. When a land is at capacity, you can't see much of the environment, shops and dining will all be rammed. The rides are really the place where you get that full experience, where crowds cannot impact it.
I don’t think any ride in the last decade has had as much riding on it as RoR. This has to prove that Disney is still willing and able to build rides in the US that meet the standards of Mystic Manor or Shanghai’s PoC. This has to be the E to beat all Es, the biggest blockbuster since at least ToT. And from what we know, it will be. When it opens.

Smuggler sounds like a very nice number two, but that’s always what it’s been positioned as. I have a feeling (and I could be very wrong) that the interactive element - “flying” the Falcon - May disappoint a fair number of guests. I expect it to be a really good Star Wars flight simulator with an awesome line - but we already have a really good Star Wars flight simulator, albeit with a merely very good line.

Magic is right, the rides are where the land will be sold, especially when the area is swamped. The Potter lands are a lot less magical when you can’t observe the tiny details due to shoulder-to-shoulder traffic. The other place where the theming and environment could have been shown off to great effect in a controlled setting is a sit-down restaurant, but...

Cmdr_Crimson

How the entire SW universe feels about those announced dates..
hFACAE4B5

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Where was it said that there will be no FastPasses? No reservations to get into SW:GE at DHS, unlike SW:GE when it opens at Disneyland.

StarFan2019

I am really dissapointed that RotR will not be open day 1. I expect it to be very difficult to get a reservation for the Disneyland version. I am also guessing that RotR will open Late July early August, in Disneyland but will not be surprised if it is delayed to late fall 2019. I can't even plan my vacation until I know if I can get a reservation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom