News Liberty Square to Fantasyland walkway to be widened behind Cinderella Castle

yensidtlaw1969

Because it’s a no brainer
Spending many millions of dollars to transport a popular, successful, classic ride 6 miles south, with no viable return on that investment, to access land that isn't even on the list for expansion because several practical pads already exist elsewhere in the area isn't exactly a "no brainer" in the traditional sense of the phrase . . .

The pathway between Pan and Small World could stand to be widened, sure, but Small World does very well by its real estate. The land behind it is no more appealing for expansion than that behind any major attraction. Why spend ~$600 mil on Small World demo, relocation, land reclaimation, and then whatever you'd build in its place, when you could just drop ~$200 mil on a new ride on an actual expansion pad and spare yourself all the headaches?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Spending many millions of dollars to transport a popular, successful, classic ride 6 miles south, with no viable return on that investment, to access land that isn't even on the list for expansion because several practical pads already exist elsewhere in the area isn't exactly a "no brainer" in the traditional sense of the phrase . . .

The pads that exist are enough to fit a ride, but not enough to open up more land and breathing room. Thus, those pads, if used, would only make crowding worse. While the land north of HM isn't on schedule for ride development, it could always change. And it would open up acres for walk-around room.

Also, any attraction, given enough time, will need a big enough refurbishment that Disney has to decide: Spend millions to update, or, create a new ride. SE got the complete refurb decision. GMR and I:RoE got the demolish and create something new decision. That time is coming for IaSW and the armchair imagineering to give it a complete update in a new place that makes more sense isn't that crazy.

bigrigross

Shoulder bumps and hip checks are for other guests who make zero effort to allow me to pass by in the opposite direction assuming I'll fully jump out of their way. For those who make an effort, I meet them half-way. For others... I'm bracing myself for the bump... and they're not. I win.

I work for a hospital and when we get groups of medical students, they walk just like they do in school, taking up the entire hallway and looking at their phones. I love seeing their faces when I walk straight into them and they think im rude for running into them braced. I pretty much do the same thing at disney. I dont move for non-attentive people.

yensidtlaw1969

The pads that exist are enough to fit a ride, but not enough to open up more land and breathing room. Thus, those pads, if used, would only make crowding worse. While the land north of HM isn't on schedule for ride development, it could always change. And it would open up acres for walk-around room.

Also, any attraction, given enough time, will need a big enough refurbishment that Disney has to decide: Spend millions to update, or, create a new ride. SE got the complete refurb decision. GMR and I:RoE got the demolish and create something new decision. That time is coming for IaSW and the armchair imagineering to give it a complete update in a new place that makes more sense isn't that crazy.
Disney gave one of those big refurbs to Small World in 2005, a mere 14 years ago - the first really major one in what was then the attractions 34 year history. We're not coming up on another one any time soon. The reasons GMR and I:RoE got the boot are not shared by Small World, and if we reach that point I'm sure Disney's first step will be to stuff it full of Disney characters to try to pump some life into it like they have in other parks. The money they'd spend to update it is not equal or close to the amount it would take to rebuild it in another park. I'm glad you call it Armchair Imagineering, because that's really the only group that gives any real consideration to the idea of moving it.

I don't say any of this to be rude, it's just a topic that manages to come up too often and eats a thread alive every time it does.
The idea does not merit the amount of discussion it takes in News, Rumors, and Current Events because it is none of them. The idea isn't crazy, but the insistence and frequency with which it is posted verges. Feel free to go wild with it in the Armchair Imagineering forum.

RSoxNo1

The solution is to remove IASW for expansion. MK has the worst of the IASWs anyway.. Open up that space to expand that area then move it to Epcot and bring it up to snuff.
This suggestion again I feel like it comes up once a month.
Because it’s a no brainer

The pathway between Pan and Small World could stand to be widened, sure, but Small World does very well by its real estate. The land behind it is no more appealing for expansion than that behind any major attraction. Why spend ~$600 mil on Small World demo, relocation, land reclaimation, and then whatever you'd build in its place, when you could just drop ~$200 mil on a new ride on an actual expansion pad and spare yourself all the headaches?
Fantasyland and Fantasyland adjacent real estate is the most valuable in park land. When we consider what the Magic Kingdom actually needs (capacity boost, not attendance boost), moving select attractions makes sense from strictly a park operations standpoint. Both "it's a small world" and the Tomorrowland Speedway block significant amounts of land from being accessed and it's land that should simply be better utilized.

You talk about a waste of money and I see better guest satisfaction numbers as a result of decreased congestion and a bigger ride count. The public selling point of the $2 billion Next Gen project was to improve guest satisfaction and theoretically improve upon operations. It certainly hasn't done that to the extent that they initial sought.

Moving it's a small world to Epcot isn't the end of the story. The end of the story is the area this opens up. It's room for 2-3 more Mermaid level attractions + something like the trackless Beauty and the Beast dark ride. A major expenditure? Sure, but the parks would be far better off.

If I had a crystal ball I'd move it's a small world to Showcase Plaza, remove Pinocchio's Village Haus and Enchanted Tales with Belle and put in a Tangled D-ticket with a Snuggly Duckling Restaurant, Frozen D-Ticket, and Beauty and the Beast E-ticket back there.

jt04

Widening this path is a 'putting the cart before the horse' project with very positive potential consequences. Huge news. This is for the 50th but is another step towards MK 2.0.

IMO.

yensidtlaw1969

Fantasyland and Fantasyland adjacent real estate is the most valuable in park land. When we consider what the Magic Kingdom actually needs (capacity boost, not attendance boost), moving select attractions makes sense from strictly a park operations standpoint. Both "it's a small world" and the Tomorrowland Speedway block significant amounts of land from being accessed and it's land that should simply be better utilized.

You talk about a waste of money and I see better guest satisfaction numbers as a result of decreased congestion and a bigger ride count. The public selling point of the $2 billion Next Gen project was to improve guest satisfaction and theoretically improve upon operations. It certainly hasn't done that to the extent that they initial sought.

Moving it's a small world to Epcot isn't the end of the story. The end of the story is the area this opens up. It's room for 2-3 more Mermaid level attractions + something like the trackless Beauty and the Beast dark ride. A major expenditure? Sure, but the parks would be far better off.

If I had a crystal ball I'd move it's a small world to Showcase Plaza, remove Pinocchio's Village Haus and Enchanted Tales with Belle and put in a Tangled D-ticket with a Snuggly Duckling Restaurant, Frozen D-Ticket, and Beauty and the Beast E-ticket back there.
I think in your last paragraph you mean if you had magic powers. The crystal ball says it's not happening.

Just think how good it would be for guest satisfaction if they built an even bigger castle in the middle of the Magic Kingdom -- the one they have now is in the way, so it would have to be moved to access the land, but think how GREAT it would be!

Fun ideas, seriously, I'd love to see more dark rides in Fantasyland -- but Disney's not even talking about moving Small World to Epcot.

Kingoglow

They could sell a limited number of tickets to access those paths, call it FastPath+.

You are allowed to access one of the short cut paths once per day by booking your FastPath+ 60 days in advance of your visit to the park. But don't worry, it is not as restrictive as it sounds. There is a twenty minute window in which you can should up to take advantage of your FastPath+ reservation.

Alternatively, it would be less expensive on Disney to just restrict access on certain pathways. Tell people with strollers to go around because they take up too much space in the parks. Seriously guys, your strollers are insane.

jt04

They could sell a limited number of tickets to access those paths, call it FastPath+.

You are allowed to access one of the short cut paths once per day by booking your FastPath+ 60 days in advance of your visit to the park. But don't worry, it is not as restrictive as it sounds. There is a twenty minute window in which you can should up to take advantage of your FastPath+ reservation.

Alternatively, it would be less expensive on Disney to just restrict access on certain pathways. Tell people with strollers to go around because they take up too much space in the parks. Seriously guys, your strollers are insane.

Fastpath+. 😂

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom