Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Lintemuthstudios

lol. that's like bringing a gun to a knife fight I'm thinking. even if they pull off an amazing Nintendo world, it surely isn't gonna come close to potter land or swl.

Are you sure about that? SNW is looking like it'll be the best land Universal has ever built, no contest. Stunning interactivity, ground-breaking rides, amazing theming. It has everything. Of course, we'll have to compare the two when they're both open. But don't underestimate it.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Are you sure about that? SNW is looking like it'll be the best land Universal has ever built, no contest. Stunning interactivity, ground-breaking rides, amazing theming. It has everything. Of course, we'll have to compare the two when they're both open. But don't underestimate it.

SNW, in order to be themed correctly, will have to re-create the less-than-realistic computer gaming worlds. It will lack the intricate detail that Potter or SW will have. It will be like Toy Story Land, in which faithful theming is high gloss, crayon-colored poles and walls. That's good theming, but, hardly as impressive as the re-creation of a magical London street or an off-world city and landscape.

The Pho

SNW, in order to be themed correctly, will have to re-create the less-than-realistic computer gaming worlds. It will lack the intricate detail that Potter or SW will have. It will be like Toy Story Land, in which faithful theming is high gloss, crayon-colored poles and walls. That's good theming, but, hardly as impressive as the re-creation of a magical London street or an off-world city and landscape.
I think that depends very much on the direction they choose to go with the theming. Hyrule or the Mushroom Kingdom could easily obtain the same level of intricate detail that Batuu, Pandora, and Hogwarts all received. They aren’t locked into an 8 bit artstyle, or the appearances of any of the previous releases. Nintendo changes the appearances constantly of their franchises, to remain faithful they only have to stick to a few character traits really.

Timothy_Q

I think that depends very much on the direction they choose to go with the theming. Hyrule or the Mushroom Kingdom could easily obtain the same level of intricate detail that Batuu, Pandora, and Hogwarts all received. They aren’t locked into an 8 bit artstyle, or the appearances of any of the previous releases. Nintendo changes the appearances constantly of their franchises, to remain faithful they only have to stick to a few character traits really.
It definitely depends what style they go with.

But judging by the promotional image, it looks like glossy, saturated big shapes like TSL (like misterpenguin described)

(but I'm sure it'll be much better than TSL on all accounts)

The Pho

It definitely depends what style they go with.

But judging by the promotional image, it looks like glossy, saturated big shapes like TSL (like misterpenguin described)

(but I'm sure it'll be much better than TSL on all accounts)

View attachment 351051
Even if that’s precisely what they build, I’d say that’s miles ahead of what Toy Story Land delivered. And considering how much has supposedly changed over the past 2 years, this may not be fully accurate. Personally I wouldn’t expect the Mario portion to blow away Batuu, even though I still think it has potential considering Mario’s versatility, but Zelda is the real park gem for them that could rival anything. Ultimately it sounds like Zelda, Kirby, and Pokémon were all cut, with all focus going to Mario and Donkey Kong for the first section.

Mostly my point was that intricate detail does not require realism. They are still building a fictional world and bringing it to life. The extent of the detail comes down to budget and skill. Look at the praise that Cars Land gets, and it’s a fairly simple land.

Last edited:

Mike S

Yup. Totally the same.
Overview-shot-of-Universals-Super-Nintendo-World.jpg

TSL-Overview.jpg

And this is before taking into account the massive Mario Kart E Ticket, Donkey Kong Coaster, and smaller family focused Yoshi ride. That last one isn’t a flat ride btw.

TSL is a sham compared to that, lol.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Even if that’s precisely what they build, I’d say that’s miles ahead of what Toy Story Land delivered.

Yup. Totally the same.

Are we so protective of SNL that we jump past people's points and argue against a straw man?

My point was that it wouldn't be as intricate as Potter/SWL. I didn't say it wouldn't be as good or only as good as TSL.

I said it would be like what TSL had to do in order to faithfully re-create its source, which is lacking the photo-realistic intricate detail of Potter/SWL.

To wit...

It will be like Toy Story Land, in which faithful theming is high gloss, crayon-colored poles and walls. That's good theming, but, hardly as impressive as the re-creation of a magical London street or an off-world city and landscape.

That "off world city" is Batuu and the "magical London street" is Diagon Alley. Notice the lack of mentioning of a supersized backyard of toys.

Sped2424

Are we so protective of SNL that we jump past people's points and argue against a straw man?

My point was that it wouldn't be as intricate as Potter/SWL. I didn't say it wouldn't be as good or only as good as TSL.

I said it would be like what TSL had to do in order to faithfully re-create its source, which is lacking the photo-realistic intricate detail of Potter/SWL.

To wit...

That "off world city" is Batuu and the "magical London street" is Diagon Alley. Notice the lack of mentioning of a supersized backyard of toys.
Peach's courtyard is highly detailed an immersive though! Beyond that there are the unseen playarea's, the tunnel entrance, and all of the kinetic energy that mountain is gonna have with the yoshi ride moving through it! I think you are sorely underestimating how immersive and detailed this land will be!! To say that this won't be as intricate when it looks like this is going to have far more moving parts and dedication to how mario looks and feel than say hogsmeade I think your doing this land a disservice.

jt04

To wit...

I think you are dealing with the same logic as those who once claimed the Potter franchise was bigger than Star Wars.

That said, hoping SNW is still good.

jt04

Peach's courtyard is highly detailed an immersive though! Beyond that there are the unseen playarea's, the tunnel entrance, and all of the kinetic energy that mountain is gonna have with the yoshi ride moving through it! I think you are sorely underestimating how immersive and detailed this land will be!! To say that this won't be as intricate when it looks like this is going to have far more moving parts and dedication to how mario looks and feel than say hogsmeade I think your doing this land a disservice.

Where are they building this? Acreage? Concept art? Anything?

Sped2424

To what are you referring to? Peach's courtyard or the yoshi ride? If either is your question both are located in the concept art above you, the mountain is the dark ride for yoshi, and peach's courtyard is seen in the image as well.

jt04

To what are you referring to? Peach's courtyard or the yoshi ride? If either is your question both are located in the concept art above you, the mountain is the dark ride for yoshi, and peach's courtyard is seen in the image as well.

No, where and how big will this area be? Budget? Was it even announced for Orlando?

The Pho

I’ll say it again, intricate detail does not require photo-realism. Something can be intricate and not realistic, Disney’s been doing that in the parks for a long time. A point you seem to be “jumping past”. Toy Story’s theming is rather minimal compared to Potter and Pandora. I’m simply suggesting that even though they aren’t recreating an area from a different planet, they still very much could pack it with the same level of detail we’ve seen from the major lands.
As you said Toy Story lacks a level of detail, it’s not arguing a straw man. The concept art for Nintendo shows a much higher level of detail than Toy Story. I’m not so much defending Nintendo land blindly here, just the potential the land could hit. Even with Universal’s mixed track record.

Mike S

To wit...

It’ll be just as intricate and detailed as those lands. The subject matter is just different.
It’s set to open next year in Japan, followed by Hollywood, and then open with Universal’s third Orlando theme park. The rumored Donkey Kong Coaster won’t be in Japan.
It's about 4 acres, but a good chunk is on 2 levels. At least in Japan. It's not on the scale of SW:GE. More akin to the size of Hogsmeade minus Dragon Challenge.
KidZone is about 8 acres and this was originally supposed to take over that whole area in Orlando using a similar layout to Japan. Even without the coaster where are you getting 4 acres?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom