Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Rich Brownn

The difference is that it is not the intent for SWL to be seen as a film set. It's meant to be immersive, to make guests feel like they're really somewhere else. It's part of why they just removed the movie set theming from Tatooine Traders. They're going for in-world, not real-world.
Its a film set, pretending to be an immersive world, in a theme park that pretends its a studio, located in a resort that has multiple pretend areas. That should keep your mind busy :D

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
If it was, then the screwed up entirely in the quest for immersion. It doesn't matter anyway, that was when people didn't have their knickers so tightly in a knot and weren't able to realize the they were in a freaking theme park and it was all nothing but an illusion. Some of us knew and realized that what was important was what was on the other side, that is were the illusion was formed in the movies or in real life. As noble as it may seem the back sides of those building were not completed for two reasons, one was because that is the reality of a film set and the other was because the point was, we weren't supposed to see they backside of them. When fully operational almost none of the back of Streets of America were exposed to the public the same as Residential Street, but, we knew it was there unless we were 6 years old. This isn't about that anyway, do you really think that people are going to really think that they are really at the Edge of the Galaxy and also wasn't it established that almost none of the guests are going to be seeing it anyway. But, again I will point out the backside of Everest. Was that to show us that it wasn't really Mt. Everest? For the sake of humanity I certainly hope not!

Do you think seeing the girders on the backside of the AT-AT in front of Star Wars was a mistake? Or seeing a dozen studio lot buildings was a mistake or an unfortunate incompleteness in theming?

Goofyernmost

The immersion was that of a film and tv studio backlot. So it was correct in that respect.

To the contrary, they were very much exposed. You could actually walk through them from onstage to backstage. And back again.
I stand corrected, I just don't remember seeing any of them. In fact I never saw the back of the NY scene until it was close to being torn down. Just never notice those things. I know I saw some of it, but, it was never glaring to me. But, contrary to obviously popular belief I understand that. See my message at the bottom.
The whole idea was that the park was a working movie studio making an incomplete backside part of the immersion.
Message at the bottom.
Do you think seeing the girders on the backside of the AT-AT in front of Star Wars was a mistake? Or seeing a dozen studio lot buildings was a mistake or an unfortunate incompleteness in theming?
No, I did not think that it wasn't planned that way because it was a working studio and they were just trying to display the sets. I never notice that back of the AT-AT's either. The first time I ever saw that was in a picture someone posted just last week on this board.

In it's own way, Galaxy is also a movie immersion set. Once in the land you will not see the structure of it because you aren't supposed to see it while you are in there. It has been shown that very few, if any, are going to see those structures, yet we had to have a big discussion about how they shouldn't be visible. In Galaxy, they aren't except to the few explorers that will inevitably photo them and post them on You-Tube so that everyone can get all upset again. I do know the difference between the two, but, the very idea that it is wrong to do it the way they did, is just knee jerk reactions by people that somehow think that they should spend huge amounts of money to fill it in so that no one will see it at all. If they do build the hotel in a place where that is in view then I will join all of you in complaining about it. But, alas, there aren't even done building the place yet. What they do as a form of possible camouflage is not yet become a reality. When it is and if it is seen by or if it somehow prevents one from enjoying the land, then it will be a problem. I believe the name of the park is still going to be "Disney's Hollywood Studio's" so it really is still a copy of a movie set. I know you all will jump on your horses and say that I am wrong in my thinking, hell you maybe correct, but, it is what it is. Enjoy it or don't, that is also your right.

Goofyernmost

He's gonna come back with a few dozen paragraphs screaming at everyone, get ready
No, I'm not going to scream at anyone, everyone has their own way of processing reality. Mine could be right or it could be wrong. I do know that you didn't attempt to "correct" my evil outlook or inability to state myself clearly, but, you did choose to ridicule me. Thanks for that.

Timothy_Q

No, I'm not going to scream at anyone, everyone has their own way of processing reality. Mine could be right or it could be wrong. I do know that you didn't attempt to "correct" my evil outlook or inability to state myself clearly, but, you did choose to ridicule me. Thanks for that.
You got it

I've tried many times in the past, and have since learned it's always in vain

Goofyernmost

Thank god it’s not worth caring about. Imagine if we did.
Passive aggressiveness does not become you, Martin. I do understand that I didn't express myself in a sufficient way that I could make people understand my point, but, I suppose that your two or three word sentences are far more significant then my sometimes unsuccessful wordy explanations. And yes, I can imagine if we did. Absolutely nothing would be different. I didn't see it as a problem and you folks do. It doesn't matter who is correct, it isn't going to stop the backside of that land from being any different.

TrojanUSC

This shows how low Disney has sunk.
Could you imagine if they had left the "backside of water" in JC completely exposed like this, allowing guests to see all of the inner hydrogen and oxygen atoms?

What? Excluding the fact the Studios has always been about "showing how the show is put together," hence the exposed show buildings, you can clearly see the unthemed backside of Everest, the unthemed backstage at World Showcase from Test Track, etc. You can't see this stuff while standing IN the park though.

DisneyDodo

What? Excluding the fact the Studios has always been about "showing how the show is put together," hence the exposed show buildings, you can clearly see the unthemed backside of Everest, the unthemed backstage at World Showcase from Test Track, etc. You can't see this stuff while standing IN the park though.
It was a joke... Disney didn't actually have to do anything for the "backside of water" to be "complete"

TP2000

New video from Disneyland, showing aerial from a couple weeks ago.

These aerial shots are great, although they are about a month old now. That said, it's best to watch this video on mute. Anyone who went to D23 Expo or looked at the photos of the giant Star Wars Land model online knows what structure in that first photo is the queue entry for ROTR.

Battle-Escape-Area-Labels-e1520390602120.jpg

And yet he continues to blabber about a queue bend 50 yards away and thinks that is the queue entrance. He just needs to be silent and let the photos speak for themselves.

tissandtully

I had a very short, but interesting conversation with a CM hosting a VIP tour on our recent visit. We were both waiting for our parties to finish riding A.S.S in HS. This guy was not your average young CM... more like in his late 40's to early 50's. I know that does not equate to years of experience or reliability of his knowledge, but the way he spoke and carefully selected what to share, mixed in with a few "not at liberty to share more" led me to believe that what he was saying was more than just speculation. So... here are a few bullet points from that conversation:

• Don't expect the usual AP previews, AP events or soft openings
  • Don't expect to be able to use FP+ for the land or the rides when it opens
  • Disney is expecting the crowds for SW:GE to be larger than what Universal saw for the opening of Potter
  • Up to this point, MK has always had the highest attendance of the four parks. Disney is expecting that HS might actually surpass MK in attendance because of SW:GE.
  • Don't believe the wait times that are posted. Disney manipulates them on purpose (Edit: forgot to include this in my original post)
As far as rumors go, aren't the plaids just high priced bus drivers?

peter11435

I had a very short, but interesting conversation with a CM hosting a VIP tour on our recent visit. We were both waiting for our parties to finish riding A.S.S in HS. This guy was not your average young CM... more like in his late 40's to early 50's. I know that does not equate to years of experience or reliability of his knowledge, but the way he spoke and carefully selected what to share, mixed in with a few "not at liberty to share more" led me to believe that what he was saying was more than just speculation. So... here are a few bullet points from that conversation:

• Don't expect the usual AP previews, AP events or soft openings
  • Don't expect to be able to use FP+ for the land or the rides when it opens
  • Disney is expecting the crowds for SW:GE to be larger than what Universal saw for the opening of Potter
  • Up to this point, MK has always had the highest attendance of the four parks. Disney is expecting that HS might actually surpass MK in attendance because of SW:GE.
  • Don't believe the wait times that are posted. Disney manipulates them on purpose (Edit: forgot to include this in my original post)
It will be phycially impossible for studios to surpass MK in attendance.

The Pho

It will be phycially impossible for studios to surpass MK in attendance.
Improbable but not impossible. Sure the park’s capacity doesn’t hold enough if they were both maxed out all day every day but there are other factors. MGM’s capacity was roughly 75% of Magic’s. Assuming with Galaxy’s Edge that Studios regains the same capacity; If it runs at capacity all year, Magic would have to maintain over 75% full to stay ahead. Or if Studios has a higher per person cycle, they could be letting in more than Magic’s 100k capacity or so, a massive rope drop and leave crowd could do that. With the projected crowds of capacity closures and 8 hour lines for a year, it could actually happen. I’d still say it’s highly unlikely, but it’s not impossible.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom