News Announced: Mary Poppins Attraction in UK Pavilion

ToTBellHop

I'm not in the expect better group but I'm definitely meh on a carousel. I can ride that at the local kiddie park. And no, a well done Mary Poppins theme will not make it a better ride just nicer to look at for me. Spinners, even carousels, are just not my cup of tea.
At local amusement park:

Magic Carpets
Dumbo
Fantasyland Carousel
Tomorrowland Speedway
Mad Tea Party
Astro Orbiter
Fantasyland dark rides like Pooh (not so much Peter Pan)
Shoot-em-up like Buzz
Barnstormer
Whip ride like A S S
TriceraTop Spin
Primeval Whirl

While they aren’t the highlights in the parks for many, they are for some, and many are iconic in the parks.

yensidtlaw1969

At local amusement park:

Magic Carpets
Dumbo
Fantasyland Carousel
Tomorrowland Speedway
Mad Tea Party
Astro Orbiter
Fantasyland dark rides like Pooh (not so much Peter Pan)
Shoot-em-up like Buzz
Barnstormer
Whip ride like A S S
TriceraTop Spin
Primeval Whirl

While they aren’t the highlights in the parks for many, they are for some, and many are iconic in the parks.

When we spoke of a Dark Ride for Mary Poppins in the UK Pavilion, the above bolded is what I'd imagined we'd be getting - a busbar ride with blacklight visuals and a few magic tricks sprinkled in.

Can anyone speak to how far off that is from what they were actually considering? Since it seems we're not getting it . . .

Haymarket2008

For those of you who are on Team Dark Ride, remember that our insiders are telling us this is not going to be a big budget E-Ticket, even if it were a Dark Ride. Do you all want a repeat of Na'vi River Journey but just Poppins themed?

10000%. Coming from someone who doesn't mind NRJ,
There was enough for my pretty little dark ride. Which we're not getting now.

However, things are moving forward now with this project.

Woof. How disappointing. I just don’t see the point of the project at all without the dark ride. Oh well. What a shame.

ToTBellHop

When we spoke of a Dark Ride for Mary Poppins in the UK Pavilion, the above bolded is what I'd imagined we'd be getting - a busbar ride with blacklight visuals and a few magic tricks sprinkled in.

Can anyone speak to how far off that is from what they were actually considering? Since it seems we're not getting it . . .
It certainly would have fit in amongst Fantasyland dark rides.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
They made this pretty spinny ride
View attachment 349726

So... flat!

More flat stuff...

And how about something a bit simple and understated...

disneygeek90

SirWillow

Let's not forget this beauty. Honestly one of the prettiest most fun carousels I've seen. We're still upset that they removed it from DCA. It was just a fantastic little ride.

The Caro-Seuss-el at Universal Islands of Adventure is another example of a themed carousel that really in many ways is the centerpiece of that area of the park and a big favorite with visitors. Take those ideas, combine them with the Columbia carousels pictured above and you have an idea of what Disney can do to make it visually stunning, attractive, themed and fit in well- and be something that people will love.

It's amusing though reading some of the comments from those that don't understand that parks need a balance of rides and experiences, to attract people of all types, offer something for everyone, and fit things within certain budgets. If you insist on only blockbusters, or no "spinners" as some are hung up on, then your park will go bankrupt because it doesn't offer a variety and balance.

The blockbusters may draw them in, but it's the little things that keep them coming back over and over again.

Casper Gutman

View attachment 349745

Let's not forget this beauty. Honestly one of the prettiest most fun carousels I've seen. We're still upset that they removed it from DCA. It was just a fantastic little ride.

The Caro-Seuss-el at Universal Islands of Adventure is another example of a themed carousel that really in many ways is the centerpiece of that area of the park and a big favorite with visitors. Take those ideas, combine them with the Columbia carousels pictured above and you have an idea of what Disney can do to make it visually stunning, attractive, themed and fit in well- and be something that people will love.

It's amusing though reading some of the comments from those that don't understand that parks need a balance of rides and experiences, to attract people of all types, offer something for everyone, and fit things within certain budgets. If you insist on only blockbusters, or no "spinners" as some are hung up on, then your park will go bankrupt because it doesn't offer a variety and balance.

The blockbusters may draw them in, but it's the little things that keep them coming back over and over again.
Funny, MGM did alright with no flats. So did EPCOT. In fact, many here, myself included, consider no-flat EPCOT a lost masterpiece. And these boards just love AKs flats - ironically, I’m one of the very few I’ve ever seen defend them on here.

This “well, every park needs flats...” is a line that emerged in the wake of the horribly disappointing TSL announcement.

Dunston

If they do build a carousel, I say take it for what it is: a quick and strategic addition to a section of the park that for years has had very little for young children to do. It will give kinetic energy to the UK Pavillion, and won't effect its thematic integrity (i.e. Frozen Ever in Norway). It'll be a nice little addition to a park where almost every ride is already a dark ride.

yensidtlaw1969

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom