News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

thecouch

hello . probably already been answered a few times but is it all one line with different stations along the way or is there 2 or 3 separate lines that you have to change . if separate lines any chance they open one up earlier then others . the bit they are testing between hollywood studios from caribbean looks like its pretty advanced

GoofGoof

Premium Member
That looks BEAUTIFUL in the Sunset!!!! I would like the gondolas uncovered, but they're going!

How long till they take the tarps off?

Speaking of Sunset, I'm assuming that Skyliner will have the same hours as other transportation?
Many pages back there was some talk about potential operating hours. I think the consensus was that the gondolas will start before the opening of the parks served (I assume at least an hour for rope drop commandos) and run at least an hour after park closing. One thing that will be interesting is what they do with the EPCOT line on nights when DHS is open until midnight (or later) and EPCOT closes at 9. In theory they could just run the DHS line but that would leave guests staying at Riviera stranded. I am hoping that means the EPCOT line will remain open just as late. That could be a huge benefit to Boardwalk for nightlife since a large number of additional guests would have a quick and easy way to get directly back to their hotels late night. Maybe they could even make Atlantic Dance Hall relevant again (was it ever really relevant?;)).

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Two lines. One PoP to CBR to Riviera to Epcot and the other CBR to DHS.
I thought the Pop to CBR line was separate from the CBR to Riviera to Epcot line. Like, you have to get off the gondola at CBR and switch to a new gondola if you're going from Pop to Epcot.
It is separate.

3 lines in total.
You’re right. What was I thinking (apart from obviously not a lot)?

Three lines.

Hangs head in shame.

(Deleted original post to try to avoid confusion )

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
do you think they will hold off to open all 3 lines at once or start each line when its ready

They will likely open all three at the same time. At this point the CBR station appears to need the most work so it's not likely any one line will be done significantly before another.

jrhwdw

Many pages back there was some talk about potential operating hours. I think the consensus was that the gondolas will start before the opening of the parks served (I assume at least an hour for rope drop commandos) and run at least an hour after park closing. One thing that will be interesting is what they do with the EPCOT line on nights when DHS is open until midnight (or later) and EPCOT closes at 9. In theory they could just run the DHS line but that would leave guests staying at Riviera stranded. I am hoping that means the EPCOT line will remain open just as late. That could be a huge benefit to Boardwalk for nightlife since a large number of additional guests would have a quick and easy way to get directly back to their hotels late night. Maybe they could even make Atlantic Dance Hall relevant again (was it ever really relevant?;)).
IF DHS gets midnight closings. F! Can't even get to 2 times a night. We'll see what SW GE does for DHS hours.

Might EPCOT extend hours for EPCOT Forever or the 2020 show?

iowamomof4

I was really hoping we would get to use these during our trip May 11-May 21, but I guess it's looking like we'll miss out. Darn. I'll be pretty irritated if everything is complete and they're just holding off on opening up for some artificial reason.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
IF DHS gets midnight closings. F! Can't even get to 2 times a night. We'll see what SW GE does for DHS hours.

Might EPCOT extend hours for EPCOT Forever or the 2020 show?
There’s plenty of days when DHS is only open until 8 or 9PM now. I would expect after SW opens it won’t close earlier than midnight for quite a while. They could keep EPCOT open later, but it’s been years since the park was regularly open beyond the ending of Illuminations. I think there will be a pretty long period right after the gondolas open where DHS is open 2+ hours later than EPCOT on most nights.

iowamomof4

I've been watching this thread for a very long time and feel like I've read nearly every post. I'm still a little unclear how the Riviera station will work, and I understand it's possible we won't really know until it starts running.

My recollection from the early phases of construction is that the main gondola lines pass right through Riviera station. My question is, how do they slow the line down for people to get on and off without slowing down the entire line from CBR to Epcot? It seemed like the gondolas would stay attached to the haul rope through the station vs detaching and being run through by wheels. Am I misunderstanding? I hope I am.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
I've been watching this thread for a very long time and feel like I've read nearly every post. I'm still a little unclear how the Riviera station will work, and I understand it's possible we won't really know until it starts running.

My recollection from the early phases of construction is that the main gondola lines pass right through Riviera station. My question is, how do they slow the line down for people to get on and off without slowing down the entire line from CBR to Epcot? It seemed like the gondolas would stay attached to the haul rope through the station vs detaching and being run through by wheels. Am I misunderstanding? I hope I am.

They will detach from the haul rope just like in any other station. The turn station at Boardwalk will work the same way.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom