How safe is Space Mountain?

BoarderPhreak

Does it have issues? Sure. All rides do. Is it unsafe? If it were, it wouldn't be open. That's definitely an area Disney doesn't play around with.

Railfan Andrew

Does it have issues? Sure. All rides do. Is it unsafe? If it were, it wouldn't be open. That's definitely an area Disney doesn't play around with.
The one in Anaheim closed very abruptly in April 2003 because the ride's structure was in shambles and was suggested that a major structural failure could occur soon.

thomas998

The one in Anaheim closed very abruptly in April 2003 because the ride's structure was in shambles and was suggested that a major structural failure could occur soon.
Yep the real question is how long of a life did the engineers expect out of it and are we at that time yet or not. All things wear out even steel structures wear out over time, though that could take an insane amount of time... I would expect that the one in DL may also have more stress put on it because of earthquakes that would occasionally put stresses on the structure that weren't expected.

lazyboy97o

Yep the real question is how long of a life did the engineers expect out of it and are we at that time yet or not. All things wear out even steel structures wear out over time, though that could take an insane amount of time... I would expect that the one in DL may also have more stress put on it because of earthquakes that would occasionally put stresses on the structure that weren't expected.
The structure at Disneyland failed due to additional weight of the on-board audio system.

thomas998

The structure at Disneyland failed due to additional weight of the on-board audio system.
That's not very assuring. I would have hoped that when it was designed that it would have had a bit more overbuild in the system that the added weight of some on-board audio system wouldn't have been the straw that broke the camel's back. I wonder if they also originally designed it based on the average size of people back in the 1960's and the super-sized average of today didn't add a little more stress to the system as well.

lazyboy97o

That's not very assuring. I would have hoped that when it was designed that it would have had a bit more overbuild in the system that the added weight of some on-board audio system wouldn't have been the straw that broke the camel's back. I wonder if they also originally designed it based on the average size of people back in the 1960's and the super-sized average of today didn't add a little more stress to the system as well.
The audio system wasn’t exactly a Walkman. It was a big, bulky system.

dX927

Had a terrible headache and nausea after my last time riding it. I'm usually waking up with a sore neck in the morning so I think that had something to do with my reaction to the ride. It's the only ride that gives me any problems.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom