Mandatory “Room Check” - Take the poll...

Do you agree with the mandatory room inspection every 24 hours?

• Total voters

Disstevefan1

The "Room Occupied" sign is merely to let staff know someone is in the room. They will still enter if the sign is on the door, but will knock first. Security has a key that will unlock the deadbolt. The flip latch will allow them to open the door an inch - they will then ask loudly if anyone is in the room.

This is not a new policy. Which is probably why there are no memos/letters left in the room for guests any more. But the policy is written on the bottom of the "Room Occupied" door hanger.

They can past the flip latch from the outside of the door?

grim-grinning_toast

But wait. Can someone explain the flushing the toilet and running the faucet thing? I do this when I'm checking out a new place to live to make sure it all works...but I don't understand why they're doing it in the room check? Sorry if someone already asked and it was answered! I'm on page 2 of the thread and my head is starting to hurt, hahaha.

jaklgreen

But wait. Can someone explain the flushing the toilet and running the faucet thing? I do this when I'm checking out a new place to live to make sure it all works...but I don't understand why they're doing it in the room check? Sorry if someone already asked and it was answered! I'm on page 2 of the thread and my head is starting to hurt, hahaha.

To make it look like the are actually "checking" the room, instead of just spying on you. Which is really what they are doing. Because, seriously, why would they INSIST on coming in daily just to make sure the toilet is flushing when it is more reasonable for someone to tell them if it stopped working. But hey, everyone is just fine with having random room checks, you know, like they do in prison.

Gomer

I don't know if things have changed recently or not, but when I stayed at AKL in August (on points, so no daily housekeeping) and I would leave the Room Occupied sign on the door, they would simply pass the room and I would get a call from housekeeping asking what would be a good time for them to stop by for the daily check.

The process was much more friendly than I had expected going in, and it got rid of my trash on a daily basis. I didn't have any privacy issues, and no one ever walked in or even knocked if I had the sign up.

TrainsOfDisney

I thought I had read that Disney had changed their policies to be more similar to what it was before with DND signs. Sad that this is not the case. Guests should be able to expect to take a nap in peace.

Lord Fantasius

I was fine with this, in theory, until our recent stay when this occurred on two different days while our toddler was napping. We did have the sign on the door, and it completely changes the dynamic of our vacation when when our little one is jarred awake midday and doesn’t get the full nap needed for our evening plans.
Disney has not yet created a second sign yet that says, "Yes, we really are napping, please do not disturb us at this time!"

Unfortunately, so many people use the Do Not Disturb sign as a "I don't need room service" sign or "I'm going green" (like one of the major hotel chains as a reminder that the room does not need to be cleaned) that Disney has no way of magically knowing whether the DND sign is actually meant to be a Do No Disturb at any specific time or just a, "I'm Good, Don't Need Anything Today" sign.

One way to get around having unannounced calls in the afternoon, etc., is to actually call housekeeping (even once at the beginning of your stay) and tell them you are going to be in the room in the afternoon and that your kids need their naps, please do not bother us at that time. Generally this works...but then again, once everyone starts abusing this and it gets to out-of-hand, Disney is going to be right back we're they started.

And yes, Disney knows exactly where your Magicband is at anytime of the day; so, in the future, once they cross-link the program that indicates the location of your MB with their housekeeping schedule, you can be pretty sure they'll make sure you aren't (or at least your MB) isn't in the room when they check. :eek:

flynnibus

Premium Member
My hotel last week simply had a two sided sign... one side said "I'm sleeping" and the other side said "Do not clean my room"

When the staff saw the later, they simply skipped the room for the day. This is a different hotel and policy.. just saying how they message the signs vs simple 'privacy please' or 'DND'

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Disney has not yet created a second sign yet that says, "Yes, we really are napping, please do not disturb us at this time!"

Unfortunately, so many people use the Do Not Disturb sign as a "I don't need room service" sign or "I'm going green" (like one of the major hotel chains as a reminder that the room does not need to be cleaned) that Disney has no way of magically knowing whether the DND sign is actually meant to be a Do No Disturb at any specific time or just a, "I'm Good, Don't Need Anything Today" sign.

One way to get around having unannounced calls in the afternoon, etc., is to actually call housekeeping (even once at the beginning of your stay) and tell them you are going to be in the room in the afternoon and that your kids need their naps, please do not bother us at that time. Generally this works...but then again, once everyone starts abusing this and it gets to out-of-hand, Disney is going to be right back we're they started.

And yes, Disney knows exactly where your Magicband is at anytime of the day; so, in the future, once they cross-link the program that indicates the location of your MB with their housekeeping schedule, you can be pretty sure they'll make sure you aren't (or at least your MB) isn't in the room when they check. :eek:
My hotel last week simply had a two sided sign... one side said "I'm sleeping" and the other side said "Do not clean my room"

When the staff saw the later, they simply skipped the room for the day. This is a different hotel and policy.. just saying how they message the signs vs simple 'privacy please' or 'DND'
To clarify, Disney Resort door signs now say “Room Occupied”.

Chi84

Premium Member
I kind of agree that part of the problem is people misusing the sign. When the housekeeper sees an entire family leaving the room time after time without taking down the sign, the housekeeper will stop believing it.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
To clarify, Disney Resort door signs now say “Room Occupied”.

Here's the new sign....

And this is what it says on the bottom...

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I kind of agree that part of the problem is people misusing the sign. When the housekeeper sees an entire family leaving the room time after time without taking down the sign, the housekeeper will stop believing it.

They will enter whether the sign is hanging on the door or not. But knock first, announce themselves and wait for a response before entering.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom