Mandatory “Room Check” - Take the poll...

Do you agree with the mandatory room inspection every 24 hours?

• Total voters

jaklgreen

Because we do not consider it to be a mistake. I could care less if they come in the room every day and I think that it is irrational to get as worked up about it as some people here do.

Well I guess it would depend on how a person spends their day. There are people who actually do spend time in their rooms during the day and do not want to be disturbed daily. Plus, I personally do not like the idea that the hotel is basically spying on you. It is one thing for the housekeeper to come in and do her job. But to have some staff member come in to see what you are up to is invasive on a personal level. I know hotels are different legally then an apartment. But imagine if you were renting an apartment the and the landlord would come in daily "just to check on you". I am sure you would feel different about it. I see hotels as very short term apartments. You pay to stay in the room and should have some expectation of privacy. Plus are they really preventing anything? The guy who shot up Vegas had room service and maid service and it did not make a difference. Disney is not going through your bags, at least I hope they are not, so anyone can hide a gun and shoot people even with the daily checks.

jaklgreen

've seen Do Not Disturb signs on the doors of the rooms near me from the day I checked in until I departed. So 24/7 for days. Can't imagine the state of that room.

I have to say that we opt out of housekeeping during our stays and our rooms are not "trashed". We will take our small amount of garbage with us when we leave the rooms and after a few days we either find the housekeeper in our area or ask at front desk for new towels and switch them out. I bring my own bed sheets and wash them during my trip. We are not messy people either at home or in a hotel. Not everyone is a slob. Being organised and picking up after yourself does not take that much time out of our precious vacation.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Well I guess it would depend on how a person spends their day. There are people who actually do spend time in their rooms during the day and do not want to be disturbed daily. Plus, I personally do not like the idea that the hotel is basically spying on you. It is one thing for the housekeeper to come in and do her job. But to have some staff member come in to see what you are up to is invasive on a personal level. I know hotels are different legally then an apartment. But imagine if you were renting an apartment the and the landlord would come in daily "just to check on you". I am sure you would feel different about it. I see hotels as very short term apartments. You pay to stay in the room and should have some expectation of privacy. Plus are they really preventing anything? The guy who shot up Vegas had room service and maid service and it did not make a difference. Disney is not going through your bags, at least I hope they are not, so anyone can hide a gun and shoot people even with the daily checks.

In Florida, the actions of your landlord are governed by Florida statute - the Landlord Tenant Act. Renting a hotel room in Florida is not the same, under Florida law, as leasing an apartment/condo/house. Disney isn't spying - they don't open closet doors, look in the dresser, etc. They come in, collect the trash and leave. If you are present, they ask how things are going. If you're not, no conversation.

jaklgreen

In Florida, the actions of your landlord are governed by Florida statute - the Landlord Tenant Act. Renting a hotel room in Florida is not the same, under Florida law, as leasing an apartment/condo/house. Disney isn't spying - they don't open closet doors, look in the dresser, etc. They come in, collect the trash and leave. If you are present, they ask how things are going. If you're not, no conversation.

That is why I said that the laws are not the same. And that for people it FEELS like the same. You are handing over money for a place to live for however long you are there.

bpadair32

That is why I said that the laws are not the same. And that for people it FEELS like the same. You are handing over money for a place to live for however long you are there.

Its not the same, it does not feel the same, and you should not have the same expectations. They are not spying or invading your privacy. They are checking the room and taking out the trash. If you really don't like it that much, don't stay there. There will be 10 more people waiting to take your place.

LAKid53

Premium Member

It kinda feels like home to me....but then I'm DVC and have a deed for proof. Yes, I know it's a condoized leasehold. And I've got no issue with the policy.

flynnibus

Premium Member
So what we keep learning is... those who try to keep the hotel out of their room... just make it worse for themselves because then the hotel is more incentivized to do the check.

Yet... they keep running into the wall the same exact way over and over...

Meanwhile, those that simply don’t care... the normal housekeeping goes on, no hotel check drama, and life is good.

Maybe it will sink in at some point...

jaklgreen

Its not the same, it does not feel the same, and you should not have the same expectations. They are not spying or invading your privacy. They are checking the room and taking out the trash. If you really don't like it that much, don't stay there. There will be 10 more people waiting to take your place.

They are not spying? What? That is the WHOLE reason that they do these "checks". They said that they were checking in on people because of the Las Vegas incident. They are in no way checking the condition of the room. I have nothing to hide but it still goes against everything this Country stands for. It is sad that so many people are so willingly giving up their freedoms in the name of safety.

drizgirl

If there were 10 people waiting to take your place, Disney has their rooms priced too low.

Chi84

Premium Member
They are not spying? What? That is the WHOLE reason that they do these "checks". They said that they were checking in on people because of the Las Vegas incident. They are in no way checking the condition of the room. I have nothing to hide but it still goes against everything this Country stands for. It is sad that so many people are so willingly giving up their freedoms in the name of safety.
Actually, I never heard Disney give a reason for the policy. If they did I would be very surprised. The timing led people to conclude it was in response to Vegas, but I’ve heard they could have been more concerned about people using the premises for human trafficking, which is apparently a huge problem in Orlando. I looked when the policy was implemented and couldn’t find any official statement from Disney as to the reason for it.

Also they’re not spying. Most checks are satisfied by housekeeping or removing trash. I think this policy is just a deterrent to those looking for a place to do illegal things.

Last edited:

LAKid53

Premium Member

It's their property, their rules.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
That is a cop out statement. So we should never question anything? You would like living in a communist society?
We can question whatever we like, but the law is currently on the side of the resorts. While "It's their property, their rules" is an oversimplification of a very complex set of laws, it is fairly accurate to the state of things.

You essentially have the property owner's rights vs the renter's rights and most state laws greatly favor the property owner's rights.

Our options as consumers largely consist of not staying at a place that does these random checks and the age old "petition the Government for a redress of grievances".

LAKid53

Premium Member
That is a cop out statement. So we should never question anything? You would like living in a communist society?

It's a bloody hotel room. And as @Master Yoda stated, the law in Florida is on the side of the property owner. As has been stated by several of us, the daily room check isn't obtrusive. You may not even be in your room when it's done. And if you receive daily housekeeping, that service suffices.

But continue to scream Disney is violating your civil liberties and is tantamount to living in a communist state. Because that's a ridiculous stance to take. As I've stated, Disney as property owner, is well within their rights to inspect property they own. Something YOU'VE agreed to when you reserve and pay for one of their hotel rooms. If you don't like, stay off property. Or petition the Florida Legislature to revise the statues governing the rental of hotel rooms.

This policy is over a year old and this subject had been discussed ad nauseam.

bpadair32

This is just ridiculous. They are not coming to your house or searching your private property. They are checking a hotel room. If you want to get upset about civil liberties why don't you spend your energy on any of the real civil and human rights violations going on around the world.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
images(27).jpg

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
What if the in-person security check is just window dressing to keep people from suspecting there's a camera in the room already?

Yes, I know it's not legal to put surveillance cameras in hotel rooms.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom