Disney Q1 2019 Earnings Report

seascape

Does anyone know how they ‘count’ the attendance they report?
If I go to AKL then hop to MK, do I count as one or do I count as two?
If I go to MK and then stay for an upcharge after hours event do I count as 1 or 2?
If you park hop, you are counted once. However, I believe if you pay for a separate

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Voice recording of conference call...

See 31:45 for SWL.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
ill try and find the post
it may have been on Inside Universal

Ok...I gotcha

30% is not realistic unless it’s tied to a global financial catostrophe...

I think in 02 we had a net down of maybe that...and that was people literally scared to travel rolled into a global recession.

5% would be treated as a borderline disaster by Disney...as would a 3% market share bleed to USO

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Star Wars will bring huge crowds, no doubt, but if WDW could have all Marvel, it would dwarf it. Star Wars speaks to an older crowd, Marvel is something parents (my age, 45) took teenagers to see. I never saw Star Wars in theaters, it was a boy thing. My husband loves it, but not enough to plan a vacation around, and make a trip to go see. Marvel is something I like, my son likes, and my grandson, 3 is obsessed with. He does not care anything about Star Wars, and neither does my 24 year old son. But, they love Marvel. The last movie, was not good... (Star Wars) Neither was Solo, will watch the next at home. Bet your bottom dollar, will be there opening day, for End Game tho.

Star Wars has a bigger following amongst younger people then you think, especially with all the animated series aimed at them.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Star Wars has a bigger following amongst younger people then you think, especially with all the animated series aimed at them.

It also has a much larger following among older people. It was mainstream for 40 years while comic books were niche for 75....

Which is why the management of it has been puzzling...

Anyway...i’m With some of the wizards on these boards that is NOT predicting a huge raw number influx...for a number of reasons

cjkeating

How?? Disneyland Paris has been absolutely packed recently, never seen it so crowded, even in low season.

The direct quote from the earnings document for Paris is 'Lower operating income at Disneyland Paris was due to increased costs, partially offset by higher average ticket prices.'

At a guess I would say attendance was level as they don't normally mention something which is level whilst they mention an increase or decrease. This quarter compares to an anniversary quarter the year before so for attendance to be level is very good compared to what usually happens.

mikejs78

Premium Member
I agree. For my 8 year old son and his friends, both SW and Marvel are huge. He watched Star Wars Rebels through its entire run and is now into Star Wars resistance. I've taken him to at least 3 SW themed birthday parties in the last 3 months (contrast to only 1 marvel and one 'other').

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
SW:GE - My money is on June 21 officially in Anaheim, early November in Orlando. Been too busy to read/look more into quarterly numbers, maybe sometime later this week or next.

And I'm amongst those who think crowds in Orlando may not be as big as some within the gilded halls in Anaheim are predicting. Just a gut feeling thing.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
SW:GE - My money is on June 21 officially in Anaheim, early November in Orlando. Been too busy to read/look more into quarterly numbers, maybe sometime later this week or next.

And I'm amongst those who think crowds in Orlando may not be as big as some within the gilded halls in Anaheim are predicting. Just a gut feeling thing.

Iger slipped the June opening in an interview about a month ago...think it was Forbes or the New Yorker.

From an operational standpoint...they really have to open Orlando around 11/10. Clears food and wine, relatively slow for a couple...busy but short holiday, then a little slowing followed by the end of the year crunch. Has to go that way.

I’ll be at the Anaheim one in August...may actually post a review (don’t know much about Star Wars though 🤥 )

Can’t wait for my first Orlando visit in 2023...or whenever the rest of you go away 🤡

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Iger slipped the June opening in an interview about a month ago...think it was Forbes or the New Yorker.

From an operational standpoint...they really have to open Orlando around 11/10. Clears food and wine, relatively slow for a couple...busy but short holiday, then a little slowing followed by the end of the year crunch. Has to go that way.

I’ll be at the Anaheim one in August...may actually post a review (don’t know much about Star Wars though 🤥 )

Can’t wait for my first Orlando visit in 2023...or whenever the rest of you go away 🤡

That he did. Plus the blackout dates for various AP's in California point to 6/21 as opening day, with previews happening on the June weekends prior to that.

I think the hard core SW fans do DL and bypass DHS altogether. They are going to be the same thing on both coasts, according to everything the talking heads have said, so I personally believe that many fans will simply skip the swamps, having been-there-done-that already in California. This could lead to lower-than-expected crowds and, in the event of that happening, terror and panic from TDO executives. ;)

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
That he did. Plus the blackout dates for various AP's in California point to 6/21 as opening day, with previews happening on the June weekends prior to that.

Blackouts start next week. June 21 is the weekend of press previews. The rest of the week is, I'm guessing, invited guests or the dreaded pay-for previews everyone is sure DL will do.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom