Mickey's Mix Magic - New Firework Show 2019

iMax

For a temporary show, it's not half bad, it probably looks better in person. Times are changing, and so is Disney so hoorah for that, but of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion so I can't nag everyone down for disliking it.

Californian Elitist

For a temporary show, it's not half bad, it probably looks better in person. Times are changing, and so is Disney so hoorah for that, but of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion so I can't nag everyone down for disliking it.

It doesn’t look better in person. I was there opening night. One of the people I went with is a newbie and even she was confused.

The show is awful. No hoorah when the change of direction is not good.

Cmdr_Crimson

It doesn’t look better in person. I was there opening night. One of the people I went with is a newbie and even she was confused.

The show is awful. No hoorah when the change of direction is not good.
I just read on mice age about it that Mickey is the DJ of this so called mix of a show...Still doesn't seem appealing and less of a fact that the new Fab Five designs are overstaying there welcome which makes it worse looking..IMO

Californian Elitist

I just read on mice age about it that Mickey is the DJ of this so called mix of a show...Still doesn't seem appealing and less of a fact that the new Fab Five designs are overstaying there welcome which makes it worse looking..IMO

That’s right, he’s the DJ for his own party, which...what?

Using the new designs for the characters for the entire duration of the show was definitely a strike. Had they gone through the various designs and looks of Mickey through the years (which is absolutely what they SHOULD have done), it would have made sense to see the new design for a portion of the show.

This should have been an easy and obvious show to design and create, but it’s the Disney Dummies we’re dealing with. May have to add this show to my thread.

Disone

And look how long that lasted, I guarantee by the summer there going to once again be back to Remember dreams do come true with more missing segments or Fantasy in the Sky.
It lasted over 2 years, almost 2.5 years really. And it wasn't cut because it wasn't doing well, it was cut because they chose to do a 25th anniversary parade.
I think Mickey Mania I did a far better job of trying to be hip but keeping it classic. Mickey's mix Magic doesn't try to keep it classic it uses the new character design which are terrible and look like low quality Nickelodeon channel Ren and Stimpy animation.
Mickey Mania redressed mickey in amusing ways using classic Mickey elements and classic Mickey colors in new and creative ways. So while the music had remix elements, and tried to be a little trendy, the visuals or all out Mickey. I'm not really explaining this to you or anyone else, I'm really explaining it to me cuz I'm trying to figure out why I like one and not the other and I think I just landed on the reason.

Last edited:

THEMEPARKPIONEER

It lasted over 2 years, almost 2.5 years really. And it wasn't cut because it wasn't doing well, it was cut because they chose to do a 25th anniversary parade.
I think Mickey Mania I did a far better job of trying to be hip but keeping it classic. Mickey's mix Magic doesn't try to keep it classic it uses the new character design which are terrible and look like low quality Nickelodeon channel Ren and Stimpy animation.
Mickey Mania redressed mickey in amusing ways using classic Mickey elements and classic Mickey colors in new and creative ways. So while the music had remix elements, and tried to be a little trendy, the visuals or all out Mickey. I'm not really explaining this to you or anyone else, I'm really explaining it to me cuz I'm trying to figure out why I like one and not the other and I think I just landed on the reason.
They should have went with the silly symphony sound that would have been epic.

VJ

I watched a video of Remember this morning. It’s been nearly 15 years and they’ve still yet to come up with an equally as good or better show.
Magical! is pretty good as far as Disney fireworks, but that's mostly because it was designed as the off-season, cheaper alternative to Remember; so it does what it was designed to do. Mix Magic, Together Forever and Disneyland Forever just don't hit the mark for me.

VJ

Doesn't look like it happened yet but, if DL gets major bad reviews of MMM, might they turn into a Projection show like MM&Y and bring back RDCT?
Mix Magic wasn't designed as a fireworks show, as per Steve Davison; it was designed as a projection/laser show and fireworks were added in later. Ironic thing is, the fireworks turned out to be the strongest part of the show.

Californian Elitist

Magical! is pretty good as far as Disney fireworks, but that's mostly because it was designed as the off-season, cheaper alternative to Remember; so it does what it was designed to do. Mix Magic, Together Forever and Disneyland Forever just don't hit the mark for me.

I agree, I did enjoy Magical!. I wish they would bring it back. None of these recent firework shows are doing anything for me either. I’d be happy to watch these old shows.

gerarar

Premium Member
The fireworks were stopped about halfway through the show apparently in last night's performance.. But regardless, first look at show's finale w/out the fireworks (carrying)!..

Darkbeer1

They really need to slip some extra cash to the city to end this nonsense 10PM rule that neuters these shows.

Not enough cash will change that rule. The city residents will mutiny.

Sorry, any increase in the amount of days allowed is also a non-starter.

This is why Disney has decided to go this direction.

Disney has to place nice with the city, even though they have a 5-2 majority. Disney wants to keep that advantage in the future.

The Eastern Gateway is too important to the overall future plans.

SuddenStorm

I personally feel meh about the show, but what really made me upset is a couple of the songs used are remixes straight from YouTube. It's kind of embarrassing that they weren't really original with the songs.

Here are the links to two of the songs that they use:
Aladdin Remix - www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7eKmwGJo_I
I Wanna Be Like You The Jungle Book Remix - www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1vQMIisJuc

The two remixes you shared sound nothing like the versions used in Mickey's Mix Magic. The Aladdin one is completely different, and while Jungle Book is similar- it's got a distinctly different beat.

Is there something I'm missing here?

Ismael Flores

RDCT did play before/after Pixar Fest in 2018.

Doesn't look like it happened yet but, if DL gets major bad reviews of MMM, might they turn into a Projection show like MM&Y and bring back RDCT?

I'm surprised DL isn't planning a SW Spectacular in honor of SWGE.

you know aftwr seeing this i rather have a Star wars themed firework and projection show to help with the coming star wars fan crowds. If sone right it might work.
I remember what they dis with ElecTRONica at DCA with the whole bike projections in Holkywood and the mini show that started in the aun plaza.

The music mixes in this show really seems off to the point that if is almost annoying.

SuddenStorm

Why should it being temporary mean a compromise in quality? Every show should be designed with the intent that it could be permanent.

For comparison- the original Fantasmic was supposed to be "temporary" with a 5 year run- that of course got extended. Because they delivered a show that surpassed every expectation.

Or let's look at the 45 anniversary fireworks, that while perhaps a bit corny, have a beautiful orchestral score and do a fine job of invoking that Disneyland feeling:

Or Remember... Dreams Come True that has been a Disneyland staple since it's 2005 debut since it was that good.

Or the far shorter run of Disneyland Forever that's a decently solid show, especially when considering how short it's run was:

Heck, the abysmal Together Forever fireworks show at least tries to celebrate beloved Pixar characters and themes:

I mean, Pixar Fest was atrocious and a horrifically executed promotion- but at least it tried to be a celebration of Pixar. It's hard to believe that just a year later, when given the task of celebrating the company's most iconic character of all time- they decided it was high time to go the completely opposite route and not really have the show be a celebration of much at all.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom