News IllumiNations Dining Package coming to Epcot later this month

fngoofy

My thoughts on this (for what they're worth, which is little) are:
1) I am amazed how many people seem to think scoring a table at fairly early in the evening and then hanging on to it so they can watch the show is a birthright
2) Even though we love watching RoE from the area with the chairs to the left of R&C, we've never understood why R&C hasn't expanded into this area.
3) Or for that matter into World Showcase Lagoon. When you are out on the patio, you can see there is a little strip of water and then a small island. They could fit another 20-30 tables if they just went out into that space.
4) I am all for more options like this. After Mexico built their patio and the Morocco pavilion put in that lagoon side place I thought we'd have new dining options lagoon side for all the countries.

Let's face it, if this upsets you it is because you are one of a handful of people that would wait to get seated or would hang on to one of a very few tables. If you want it to be fair you would be for making it a pay to play commodity.
I can't believe what a great deal it is with the unlimited drinks.
My family would pay $255 for diner.
Based on our trip and meal in November, we paid:
*$22
*$23
*$32
*$37 ($9.25x4)
$114
So, I'd be paying an extra $141 to guarantee a prime seat with service for the event for 3 people.
I'm fine with that.

I do wish they would build a series of seating areas into the banks of the lagoon. Like AK did but maybe not as deep. I'd be happy with 10 rows or so of seating around the perimeter (that could fit 30,000 people.) I also wish the stage at the American Pavillon could retract to the side or the ground so that you could watch from that seating.

Tony the Tigger

I do wish they would build a series of seating areas into the banks of the lagoon. Like AK did but maybe not as deep. I'd be happy with 10 rows or so of seating around the perimeter (that could fit 30,000 people.) I also wish the stage at the American Pavillon could retract to the side or the ground so that you could watch from that seating.

I wish they'd just trim the trees. I think they have become a much bigger obstruction over the years.

Also, we should be allowed to stand in front of every dweeb who wants to hold their phone up over their heads.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
1) I am amazed how many people seem to think scoring a table at fairly early in the evening and then hanging on to it so they can watch the show is a birthright
2) Even though we love watching RoE from the area with the chairs to the left of R&C, we've never understood why R&C hasn't expanded into this area.
3) Or for that matter into World Showcase Lagoon. When you are out on the patio, you can see there is a little strip of water and then a small island. They could fit another 20-30 tables if they just went out into that space.
4) I am all for more options like this. After Mexico built their patio and the Morocco pavilion put in that lagoon side place I thought we'd have new dining options lagoon side for all the countries.

Let's face it, if this upsets you it is because you are one of a handful of people that would wait to get seated or would hang on to one of a very few tables. If you want it to be fair you would be for making it a pay to play commodity.
*$22
*$23
*$32
*$37 ($9.25x4)
$114
So, I'd be paying an extra $141 to guarantee a prime seat with service for the event for 3 people.
I'm fine with that.

And thats fine, Disney has cornered the market on folks like you willing to pay a premium. The people, like me, who don't like this change is that it used to be free and almost a guarantee to get a great spot for no cost than your dinner.

Tony the Tigger

And thats fine, Disney has cornered the market on folks like you willing to pay a premium. The people, like me, who don't like this change is that it used to be free and almost a guarantee to get a great spot for no cost than your dinner.

How did that work?

I never tried it because I've eaten on the patio plenty of times. There are a limited number of tables, no guarantee of where you will sit, and if it is a hard table to get, who is to say you're going to get a good view?

At this point, with the show ending, I'd like to guarantee a good view and a different experience, and the unlimited drinks seals the deal.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

*$22
*$23
*$32
*$37 ($9.25x4)
$114
I'm fine with that.

Thank you for this post. Well thought out. I don't agree with making people pay for a viewing location which was previously free, but I also don't agree with people sucking up a table for hours and hours beforehand so they can get that viewing location. That's just selfish. They could have expanded R&C years ago but, for whatever reason, it hasn't been done. Build a ring of seating around World Showcase Lagoon and let people sit there for free, with the "premium viewing spots" available for-pay? I'd be for that. People get to see the show, those who want to pay for a better spot can still do so while everyone else still gets a decent view, the walkways aren't clogged (or as clogged)... win-win.

fngoofy

So I just looked at some pictures and there is seating for only about 100 people out there. So that means in a year 36,500 people out of 12,200,000 people attending EPCOT in a year. That's 0.3% of the park goers, a percentage of which don't care one way or another, they just happened to be seated there and saw the show.
I don't see how charging for better seating is a crazy option. Happens at almost all events, hotels, and shows.

What I find interesting is that items like this will push my family away from the dining plan. We have almost always gone to WDW over the past 15yrs on the free dining promo (as we did in Nov.) But we were discussing how that will be harder and harder to get for free, and what would we spend out of pocket not on the plan.
The last time I did a spreadsheet on it, it was a push money wise. The only way to save is to eat differently that you would when on it (hamburger instead of Steak, sharing items, etc.) BUT, with things like this, it would help justify to me conserving one night to splurge on sweet seats and unlimited drinks.
I wish they did an option like signature where this would count as two points on the plan. Then if I didn't get the free dining option I would consider paying for DDP because it does save you money.

fngoofy

Seriously? I must have missed the day where it was announced its ok to pay double for something that is currently half the price today.
I ate a $32 entree and had 3 drinks, that's $60. The new option then is charging me an additional $25 for a guaranteed prime viewing spot? Sign me up. We've eaten at R&C probably 20 times and were seated outside 2 times. AND we've never been there for RoE. Now we've seen RoE from the seating area next to R&C many, many times.

donsullivan

Premium Member
Now just wait a minute there. Rose and Crown at Illuminations time is one of the hardest reservations to get. I have one for March. I know there are no free table for this restaurant at this time available starting 10 days from now. Are they going to cancel existing reservations? Force me to change to the upcharge meal which is limiting my choices from the menu and forcing me to pay for alcohol I don't want and won't drink? Certainly they aren't just going to use that tiny little area below the patio which fits 20 people standing- it clearly states the patio.
Getting tired of things that use to be free being taken away from me for someone willing to pay more for it

You are assuming they didn't already know this a long time ago and reduce the number of available tables for this window so they only reserve the inside inventory of tables and leave the outside ones for this package. All they have to do is remove tables from inventory for ADR's and it would show up as fully booked.

ThatMouse

The best viewing area here isn't actually R&C, it's to the right of it (closest to the bridge) where people stand and watch. There is nothing overhead so you get a clean view of the fireworks. The fish and chips counter service is over there along with a few seats. That's the area I'm worried will be roped off.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
The best viewing area here isn't actually R&C, it's to the right of it (closest to the bridge) where people stand and watch. There is nothing overhead so you get a clean view of the fireworks. The fish and chips counter service is over there along with a few seats. That's the area I'm worried will be roped off.

Shhhh!!!!! You aren't supposed to let everyone know about that spot!! ;):cool:

docdebbi

You are assuming they didn't already know this a long time ago and reduce the number of available tables for this window so they only reserve the inside inventory of tables and leave the outside ones for this package. All they have to do is remove tables from inventory for ADR's and it would show up as fully booked.

you are correct, and I considered this idea. May be correct, but my opinion was that Disney rarely holds back a money-maker until just 10 days before it starts. usually wants lots of notice to get the most people. No benefit to holding off on announcing it.

I think someone just came up with the idea and the suits said "Great- get right on that". I could be wrong.

P.S. have been wondering if they are setting up a whole new area, that by "patio" they don't mean part of the restaurant. The reason that thought occurred to me is because on the website it clearly says the area is uncovered. All of the restaurant proper is covered???

• The venue is uncovered and outdoors. In the event of inclement weather, this experience will take place in a covered area outdoors.
  • All menu items are subject to change and the experience may be changed or canceled without prior notice.

Obobru

The only thing that suporises me here is they haven't decided to fill in parts of the lagoon to fit in more seating areas and charge for a closer view with a few plates of the gruel they pass off as food.

Tony the Tigger

The reason that thought occurred to me is because on the website it clearly says the area is uncovered. All of the restaurant proper is covered???

Good point!

The outdoor seating (at least where we’ve been seated) was covered.

For that reason, I always assumed only seating nearest the water would be good for viewing. Other seats are pretty far back and you’d have all those people in front of you.

docdebbi

As an update on this, the seating will be the lower deck beside the water, with tables to be taken by 8pm, and when the weather turns, then guests will be moved to the upper outside deck.

thanks for the info. makes sense and what we were thinking...….but when the weather turns fowl and they move people, what happens to the people who were supposed to be sitting (or already are sitting) on the upper outside deck?

stuart

thanks for the info. makes sense and what we were thinking...….but when the weather turns fowl and they move people, what happens to the people who were supposed to be sitting (or already are sitting) on the upper outside deck?

Those tables on the upper deck in line with the lower deck will have been vacated by that time to accommodate them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom