The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

StarWarsGirl

Hello forum friends!
Just curious....how often do you check personal e-mail?
I feel that many people really depend and focus on texting and therefore they seldom check their e-mail.
What say any of you on this topic?
I get email on my phone. I don't check it; I wait for notifications on my phone. Mostly it's emails from various companies, occasionally someone I know emails me. I think part of it is that after reading work email all week, I have no desire to read personal emails.

Figgy1

Premium Member
I know you're joking, but in all seriousness, at least in the Netherlands it would be very difficult to be vegan, and VERY expensive. Just an example, I have lived here for 16 years now, and last year was the ONLY time I have ever found a spaghetti squash, and only one time. Our grocery stores have the basics; broccoli, carrots, lettuce, green beans, etc....but the produce section is about a 5th the size of the produce section at an American grocery store. So if you were looking for anything but the basics, good luck. Even the weekly open air markets where farmers sell their wares don't have anything other than the basics. There is no cheese substitute that I know about....there are a few milks like almond milk, and soy, but your diet wouldn't be particularly varied. You'd have to eat pretty much the same thing every day. We just don't have the options here for meat subtitutes, dairy substitutes...I can't even buy corn flour at my grocery store much less specialty diet items. You'd have to go to very specialized stores and spend beaucoup bucks to manage a vegan diet here, I'd think.
That surprises me because you have Aldi which is pretty good for vegan options over here. I don't buy meat substitutes. I'll cook beans and as far as milk and cheese goes you can easily make your own. I'm just too lazy for the most part to make milk. How are the Asian markets? sometimes they're good over here for the "more exotic" veggies.

Figgy1

Premium Member
I am now in the process of changing our May trip. Trying to make it a combo trip with Uni and Disney. Does anyone know if you can upgrade Uni park tickets to AP’s? They have the buy 2 days, get 2 days free. The better AP has 6 months free for $500. The park to park is $275 for 4 days. The plan would be 4 days at Disney and 4 at Uni with Volcano Bay.
Welcome to the Dark Side:joyfull:

21stamps

Heading off to our last school team game of Winter 1 soon. (Next week starts our next session.. a few team changes as well)

Today we’re playing the only undefeated team in our bracket.. wish us luck that we don’t get utterly humiliated. I just hope everyone has fun and the score isn’t as lopsided as I’m afraid of.

On the sports note, T’s other soccer team training starts back in full swing tomorrow to prepare for the Spring season. Our “winter down time” is over. 6 days per week of sports (including the private strength/agility training) for the next 6 months. :oops:
1 day per week is b-ball game and soccer game. Let the craziness begin.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

Realistically, if someone is on these discussion board on a regular basis and disappears with no word. It is usually not a happy ending. The two of them just disappeared with no real reason that we know of. I know that if I all of a sudden just disappeared from the boards, it would be something serious. I'm not talking about just a couple of weeks, but, when it stretches into months, I am of the opinion that something very bad has happen and either we have lost them forever or they have had some thing happen that has made it impossible to communicate. Both had major problems happening just before they disappeared and as much as I'd like to think they are just taking a break, life's experience tells me that this will not be the case. Keep our fingers crossed, I guess... but, the outlook isn't particularly good.

MySmallWorldof4

Heading off to our last school team game of Winter 1 soon. (Next week starts our next session.. a few team changes as well)

Today we’re playing the only undefeated team in our bracket.. wish us luck that we don’t get utterly humiliated. I just hope everyone has fun and the score isn’t as lopsided as I’m afraid of.

On the sports note, T’s other soccer team training starts back in full swing tomorrow to prepare for the Spring season. Our “winter down time” is over. 6 days per week of sports (including the private strength/agility training) for the next 6 months. :oops:
1 day per week is b-ball game and soccer game. Let the craziness begin.
Good luck!!!

MySmallWorldof4

Realistically, if someone is on these discussion board on a regular basis and disappears with no word. It is usually not a happy ending. The two of them just disappeared with no real reason that we know of. I know that if I all of a sudden just disappeared from the boards, it would be something serious. I'm not talking about just a couple of weeks, but, when it stretches into months, I am of the opinion that something very bad has happen and either we have lost them forever or they have had some thing happen that has made it impossible to communicate. Both had major problems happening just before they disappeared and as much as I'd like to think they are just taking a break, life's experience tells me that this will not be the case. Keep our fingers crossed, I guess... but, the outlook isn't particularly good.
I know that Betty Roses’s husband passed suddenly a few months after their cruise.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Yah, our younger nurses prefer other methods, but the main hospital communications come via email. So a few have had to be reminded of that-- it's their job to keep up, even if it's not their preferred method in their own lives, outside of work.

And the brevity part you referenced above is also a double-edged sword. In some instances, it's certainly preferable--quick, bullet points,in specific instances. However, (some) miss more deep thinking to issues and projects, when they always expect instant, bullet point, equaling quick solutions. Not everything works that way.

Some haven't learned to balance everything out yet. I don't blame them--they grew up with the internet, with instant answers. And with technology for smartphones, etc., information is fast . . . yet, the analysis part is always up to the individual. That's what I hope we're not losing.

I have zero doubt that analysis is happening more than it ever has just not in the manner we read or compiled for the vast majority of our professional careers. I am watching and listening to my DD as she writes programs that will compile data for analysis and configuration and that could be present in so many ways as in a text of a graph she has created with years of data and research. As an example, a graph could be the conclusion, quick but detailed. I've seen many a graph in my day however what she is programming is beyond what I could have imagined, loaded with interactive additional data analysis. Being able to be on a beach, cruise or WDW and kept current in moments. It will take time for institutions to accept we all realize that. First it was memo's and hard copy reports, then computers with download attachments via email. Less cumbersome ways are fascinating. My DD's bosses boss who is in his Mid 30's keeps pulling her for projects that have to do with her Grad School so he can utilize her and in return she is building a new resume for when she finishes Grad School at the end of the year.

This year while we were at Disney we were getting PUSH NOTIFICATIONS, we see you are near LeCellier, openings at 4:15, 6 pm for your current party of 5 or Welcome to Main Street the Emporium is now open and Casey's is at the end of Main Street. And data plucked isn't from MB or Media admission card. This is the kinda stuff my DD has learned to program and compile the first half of Grad School, helps she already had a mathematics and statistics degrees. The end result of that program will be how many guests took the marketing bait, what age demographic they were, if they checked out other stores or restaurants after the PUSH Notification. All of that info compiles into an analyses just quicker, a broader sampling that leaves less margin of error or incorrect data being submitted. Now few would read every step of the data mining but they will likely read the configured data results on a interactive graph. Machine Learning is sooo cool. And yet creepity.

MouseDreaming

Giggle. I didn't go far enough with that. Sorry. If I see a red light which can be for a battery or more nefarious I just place about a one inch piece of painters tape over that area in a hotel room. It is difficult to tell the difference between a creepy camera and a battery red light or a camera red light and it is ever changing. Turn the lights off in a hotel room and look, it is easy to spot. I also put blue tape over the peek hole on the door. Creep's have been known to turn them the opposite way to peek in. If I need to look out I can peel the tape off.

I traveled a great deal with my career especially when I was a bit younger. My neighbor our Deputy Sheriff taught me what and how to look for things. He also sent my DD off to college her Freshman year with a pretty, baby pink can of Pepper Spray concealed on a lanyard and taught her how to properly use it. Precaution never hurts.
The room at The Flamingo had a tv in the mirror, which was cool for about 10 seconds. I think I would have liked it more, if there was a tub to soak in. But, we stayed in a new Holiday Inn Express in Lake Havasu, and I was very excited to have a little metal cover over the peep hole for the door. It would just swing to the side, if you needed to look through it.

Songbird76

That surprises me because you have Aldi which is pretty good for vegan options over here. I don't buy meat substitutes. I'll cook beans and as far as milk and cheese goes you can easily make your own. I'm just too lazy for the most part to make milk. How are the Asian markets? sometimes they're good over here for the "more exotic" veggies.
Aldi here is a discount store that doesn't sell anything name brand or high end. I don't buy much from Aldi because they just don't have the selection. For example, no pepsi products at all. No international food section, not many brand name things like doritos, kellogs, etc. Aldi is where you go if you can't afford a regular grocery store. The only things I buy there are my yogurt and french fries, because that's the only brand of fries DS will eat. They also used to have the only chicken nuggets he would eat, but they discontinued them and no longer sell chicken nuggets at all.
Asian markets can sometimes carry some international foods, but produce is not usually one of the things they carry. That's where you go for bulk spices and herbs like if you want 50 garlic bulbs, or a kilogram of....poppy seeds or lentils, or cumin seeds. And smaller towns don't always have a Toko (Asian market). Technically, my town does HAVE one, but it is just a tiny shop where one half has tables and serves food, the other half is a market....which is about a quarter of an an aisle long and one freezer and one fridge. You can get different kinds of rice there, and Asian noodles, and some spices, and that's about it.
There is a larger one in Arnhem that I used to go to a lot....they had quite a bit more, but even there, produce wasn't a "thing". That's where you'd go if you wanted to make lumpias...spring roll wrappers, soy sauce, sweet chilli sauce, prawns...and Asian candy. You can get fresh ginger at an Asian market, and garlic up the wazoo, but you won't find many fresh veggies beyond cabbage, peppers, etc.

Songbird76

Anyone know how close the cruise terminal in Amsterdam is to Nieuwedijk-Kalverstraat ?
What are you specifically looking for? It looks like the Cruise Terminal is pretty close to the train station, which makes sense since the train station is close to the water and that's where all the boat tours start/finish.
It also depends on what kind of transportation you are wanting to use. Walking or biking you can go where cars and buses can't, and you aren't relying on bus schedules. But, public transportation is a huge thing here, so you can get just about anywhere you need to go and buses/trams go regularly. Google maps says you can walk it in 30 minutes, but I'd add about 30% to that....they are assuming you are practically running.

Songbird76

This doesn't go to the Kalverstraat, though. Nieuwstadt is more an area than a street....the kalverstraat is IN the nieuwstadt, I believe. It's a ways further down. That's why it's handier to have a landmark...like are you looking for a specific museum or church or store. There are some streets that are so long, you could walk for 30 minutes and still not be where you want to be.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom