Interview with Bob Iger about the Parks

lazyboy97o

I didn't mean "only," I said that original stuff could be just as interesting sure but there is always a bit of an "unknown". you take a risk with trying to develop a totally new original ride. Disney doesn't have that issue with some of their IP stuff. Frozen is always going to be a easy knock out of the park.

Now maybe it is the "lazy" way out but I can't really be mad that they are going IP crazy. It's a way to update the parks with stuff they know will go over well

What movie is theme to a fjord. I didn't get the reference.
The risk remains. There are plenty of franchise installments that fall flat.

Frozen is the fjord themed movie that so many went to see despite not having any characters people already know.

jt04

I'm genuinely concerned about the future of Expedition Everest at this point. If Iger is willing to publicly make negative comments about it, the ride could very well be on his radar for the Anaheim ToT treatment. And if he's bashing EE, I don't even want to think about what he wants to do to Spaceship Earth. As much as I hate to admit it, I can see a day when all non-IP attractions are removed in favor of attractions based on films and other properties. With Iger and Chapek's mindset of building things that immerse guests into Disney films, I could see them thinking "why do we have Africa in Animal Kingdom? Shouldn't we replace that with something more relevant?" :banghead:

he wasn't talking about Everest.

TwilightZone

I'm genuinely concerned about the future of Expedition Everest at this point. If Iger is willing to publicly make negative comments about it, the ride could very well be on his radar for the Anaheim ToT treatment. And if he's bashing EE, I don't even want to think about what he wants to do to Spaceship Earth. As much as I hate to admit it, I can see a day when all non-IP attractions are removed in favor of attractions based on films and other properties. With Iger and Chapek's mindset of building things that immerse guests into Disney films, I could see them thinking "why do we have Africa in Animal Kingdom? Shouldn't we replace that with something more relevant?" :banghead:
Except, we don't know for sure if it was for Everest. Besides I think a lot of people forget Iger was part of the Everest project. He was CEO when it opened.
Plus doing a simple google search shows that Mount Everest, the very thing the ride is based on is NOT in India.
While that quote is concerning, it's not for Expedition.

jt04

Except, we don't know for sure if it was for Everest. Besides I think a lot of people forget Iger was part of the Everest project. He was CEO when it opened.
Plus doing a simple google search shows that Mount Everest, the very thing the ride is based on is NOT in India.
While that quote is concerning, it's not for Expedition.

I'm guessing it's the paris coaster. Would make sense.

jt04

I honestly think he meant a coaster that has a name that suggests a theme but it’s just a bare bones coaster.

According to Disney Imagineer Tony Baxter, "Temple du Péril is a traditional roller coaster attraction; the roller coaster cars, which are supposed to be mine cars, are going up and down over the surface of the temple, clearing debris or putting back the artifacts and so forth. It's a very simple little premise. Then the car seems to go out of control and upside down during its trip around the various temple pieces."

TwilightZone

I'm guessing it's the paris coaster. Would make sense.
It's the only disney ride that fits the bill that I know of.
If it is the case, it shows Iger knows that IP doesn't fix everything, you have to be cautious with it, make sure it's fun.
Has he been following that? So/so. Pixar Pier was a failure, but some love GOTG mission breakout. Some love Frozen.
It just depends on personal opinion.

Disney Analyst

According to Disney Imagineer Tony Baxter, "Temple du Péril is a traditional roller coaster attraction; the roller coaster cars, which are supposed to be mine cars, are going up and down over the surface of the temple, clearing debris or putting back the artifacts and so forth. It's a very simple little premise. Then the car seems to go out of control and upside down during its trip around the various temple pieces."

I think he was making a vague comment that shaded other amusement parks who build coasters with these backstories/names but don’t have any element of theming.

Sundown

Well, on the positive side...there has never been a better time to ask Bob to put his money where his mouth is and to fix the Expedition Everest Yeti. I'm serious. If you are the social-media-posting type, let him know. He's kind of in a tight spot b/c now he has to look like he is very pro-Everest.

jt04

Well, on the positive side...there has never been a better time to ask Bob to put his money where his mouth is and to fix the Expedition Everest Yeti. I'm serious. If you are the social-media-posting type, let him know. He's kind of in a tight spot b/c now he has to look like he is very pro-Everest.

There is no way ops will tolerate Everest going off line. DAK needs a new D or E first. IMO.

TwilightZone

Someone help me. I don’t find anything he said to be wrong. Just seems like people are getting their panties in a wad.

Much ado about nothing.
Many people believe his statement is a sign that he isn't thinking much about non IP attractions. That he doesn't care about them.
Some also take it about Everest, even though, as I said earlier, the mountain itself isn't even in India.

Really both assumptions are stretches. He has done some non IP attractions, even if very few. And like I said earlier, Everest is not even in India.

It's just the most headbangy situation I've ever seen. And that's saying a lot since I've been around for the Buzzy has been stolen thread.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom