Different way of handling queues?

Atomicmickey

Original Poster
Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere, but are there any murmurings of a different
ticketing/wait strategy for SWGE? When FOP ends up with regular three hour waits, one can
only imagine that the attractions in SWGE will be that, and more. A few things that come to
mind are:
-timed entrance into the land itself. I've seen this at many museum exhibits to control crowd
flow. 'You may enter any time after 11AM" that sort of thing.
-timed entrance into the attractions as an exclusive. Sorta a 'fastpass only' approach where
you must have a timed ticket to enter the queue. No standby.
-some sort of virtual ticketing like a reserved table. Your phone buzzes when you are allowed
in, and promised, say, something like a 45min or less wait. "Your Milennium Falcon is ready for
your party of 5.", that sort of thing.

Or, other? Any other speculation or facts lurking out there? My thought is that some of these
strategies could be temporary, say for the first three months or so.

I am simultaneously excited and frightened at the prospect of the land and its wait times.
I'm an enthusiast for all things Disney and Star Wars, I can only imagine a casual observer
being absolutely dissuaded by 5-6 hour wait times. I also wonder if they'll have bathrooms
in the queue as they don't in Pandora, and if there'll be a snack bar as there is in the wait
for Hogwart's Express in King's Cross.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere, but are there any murmurings of a different
ticketing/wait strategy for SWGE? When FOP ends up with regular three hour waits, one can
only imagine that the attractions in SWGE will be that, and more. A few things that come to
mind are:
-timed entrance into the land itself. I've seen this at many museum exhibits to control crowd
flow. 'You may enter any time after 11AM" that sort of thing.
-timed entrance into the attractions as an exclusive. Sorta a 'fastpass only' approach where
you must have a timed ticket to enter the queue. No standby.
-some sort of virtual ticketing like a reserved table. Your phone buzzes when you are allowed
in, and promised, say, something like a 45min or less wait. "Your Milennium Falcon is ready for
your party of 5.", that sort of thing.

Or, other? Any other speculation or facts lurking out there? My thought is that some of these
strategies could be temporary, say for the first three months or so.

I am simultaneously excited and frightened at the prospect of the land and its wait times.
I'm an enthusiast for all things Disney and Star Wars, I can only imagine a casual observer
being absolutely dissuaded by 5-6 hour wait times. I also wonder if they'll have bathrooms
in the queue as they don't in Pandora, and if there'll be a snack bar as there is in the wait
for Hogwart's Express in King's Cross.

One of the down sides of any virtual queue scheme is that it would put an even larger load on the other attractions in the park.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I would not be surprised if Disney is still trying to figure out exactly what they will do as I think the opening will eclipse anything we have seen in the past including Potter.

I full expect them to close the land to guests when it reaches capacity just like the did with Pandora. It would also not surprise me one bit if they use the fastpass system for the land itself as well as the attractions. One way traffic like they did in the final years of the Osborne Lights seems like a given as well.

All fastpass and no standby for the attractions when the section opens to the general public does not seem to be out of the realm of possibility either.

Atomicmickey

Original Poster
One of the down sides of any virtual queue scheme is that it would put an even larger load on the other attractions in the park.

Oh, sure, absolutely. I "think" they were thinking that TSL, and the Runaway Railway would help with that. There is a strong motivation to do this, though, because a guest in a 5 hour line is not spending any money.

Another idea: Dining packages. You get a dining reservation (lol, after the simulator) that is tied to an attraction
riding time.

I don't envy them trying to figure out how to keep millions of people happy in this instance.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Is there any thought of limiting the number of fastpasses to the SW rides that a person can get per week or per month so you don't have super-fans riding 100 times and thus blocking others from experiencing it?

I am sure they could if they wanted to.

yensidtlaw1969

I'm deeply curious to see how things will fare at a park like Disneyland, which has many, many attractions to eat Star Wars overflow, but not as much guest pathway space, vs a park like Hollywood Studios which has nearly the inverse problem.

Goofyernmost

But unless you arrive at Rope Drop, there will be *more* people in the queue.
But, they will have gotten there before you. Not an hour after you started standing in line and they just strolled past you and got on the ride while you stood at a standstill. With a single line they would have been behind you and you would have been on and off before they even got close. So, in that sense, it will always make your wait longer if you do not have that hard to get FP. It really is simple math and common sense. It has nothing to do with total numbers per hour or day. It is just who is first in line.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Eliminating FP+ from SWGE or across the board isn't an answer. There are many guests, myself included, who simply can not wait in a long queue. No FP+ and I stop going to Disney.

Goofyernmost

Eliminating FP+ from SWGE or across the board isn't an answer. There are many guests, myself included, who simply can not wait in a long queue. No FP+ and I stop going to Disney.
I'll bet you got them scared now. It is amazing how so many of us went there for years and years before FP existed and still go back again and again and still have fond memories of pre-FP life. Oh, well, I guess if you want to limit what you be able to see waiting for that illusive FP to be in hand, then that just leaves a shorter line for the rest of us.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I'll bet you got them scared now. It is amazing how so many of us went there for years and years before FP existed and still go back again and again and still have fond memories of pre-FP life. Oh, well, I guess if you want to limit what you be able to see waiting for that illusive FP to be in hand, then that just leaves a shorter line for the rest of us.
Actually, it's got nothing to do with what you did or didn't do "pre-FP". It has to do with physical disability and not being capable. But thanks for being arrogant and thinking you know everything. It adds so little to, well, anything constructive.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes

It was a limited time period between 1982 and 1999 where there were not any limiting factors to line admission. The whole paradigm of pay per attraction vs all you care to enjoy was introduced in 1982 when they eliminated the ticket books until the first fast passes were implemented in 1999. That's when the line dynamics changed 20 years ago.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom