News Announced: Mary Poppins Attraction in UK Pavilion

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Umm... Tron is going to cost Disney north of $300M to build DOMESTICALLY. They're also building a Ratatouille attraction which is also costing them hundreds of millions to build. Somehow because something like those opened in other countries first, it doesn't count that Disney is still paying a huge sum stateside?

One could argue Avatar in the reverse case here. Avatar made a ton of money, but it had absolutely no fan base and no cultural relevancy until the land opened. That was a HUGE $800Mish risk.

Tron is a clone from a park they share costs...as is rat...

Guardians is a movie franchise that has been in about $5 billion of box office gross over 5 years...with another 2 coming in the next year
Tron
Ratatouille
GotG

Depending on what you consider to be a smash hit, I guess. But none of these are what I’d call a massive success.

See above

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don’t have a problem with the decision. I enjoyed TRON a lot. Probably rode it 7ish times in two days... though the VERY short ride time was a problem, and I think it’ll even be magnified more at the MK.

Frankly, we enjoyed just standing under the canopy watching the light show and the launches as much as riding.

My problem is with the suggested price tag. I just don’t think there’s any way it’ll get to that sort of cost. Just no way. They’re breaking no ground with this. At all. It’s a very short coaster in a warehouse, with a grand canopy with a great light show... blueprints for all of which already existed. It’s tantamount to re-ordering everything a second time.
I think we can all agree that the “costs” on projects is a shell game...at least from some angles.

That makes sense - they don’t have to really tell us the truth (that doesn’t mean anything to SEC filings)...and it does two things:
1. Allows them to flaunt how much they spend - for PR
2. Allows them to hide if they are being cheap OR horribly ovedbudget....which has big advantages.

The tron project in Florida is a good old fashioned ground re-engineering project - don’t forget. Those are pretty lengthy/costly by today’s standards.

Since I’m here now...I like to find my “spots” to peek into construction where possible. I’m sure that one is pretty massive by now.

It’s not hard for them to rack up a bill...but I never trust the floated costs...from experience.

I find it hard to believe that anyone doubts the ridiculous overspend on Joe’s Everest isn’t regularly at least claimed these days. Even without the stupid junkets to Nepal Eisner allowed.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
If it’s going to cost $300mil (which I would find very hard to believe) to build a clone of a ride a foreign county already paid for all the R&D on, that would be incredibly sad, and a microcosm of all that is wrong with the stateside parks these days.

That’s more than Everest cost. For a ride half as long. That mostly takes place in a warehouse.

If it’s not being done for half that, people absolutely should be fired. Likely many.

I think the only reason it’s being built is exactly because the price tag is cheap for what will be delivered. TDO isn’t building TRON because they’re swell people, or because they just HAVE to have the IP in the park. It wasn’t that successful a film.
I don’t have a problem with the decision. I enjoyed TRON a lot. Probably rode it 7ish times in two days... though the VERY short ride time was a problem, and I think it’ll even be magnified more at the MK.

Frankly, we enjoyed just standing under the canopy watching the light show and the launches as much as riding.

My problem is with the suggested price tag. I just don’t think there’s any way it’ll get to that sort of cost. Just no way. They’re breaking no ground with this. At all. It’s a very short coaster in a warehouse, with a grand canopy with a great light show... blueprints for all of which already existed. It’s tantamount to re-ordering everything a second time.

...thank you for “getting it”...it’s so refreshing.

Now off to a mob of hell in EPCOT 😡

jt04

I know. I know.

It’s more. But that included speedway work.

As you say often you don't know everything so I am suspicious that your source is way off here. Unless there is something else like a tunnel diorama for the train, rerouting more access for SM etc.

kurtk

I know. I know.

It’s more. But that included speedway work.

As a comparison, what is Disney paying for SW:GE? I had heard a figure of $750 million which, if true, does make the $300 million price tag for Tron seem high. Or is GE even more expensive?

kurtk

It’s more. Though like I said earlier elsewhere the price is for everything from when LMA and tours closed.

Thanks for the reply. I would like to know what the actual rides themselves cost. It does kind of make sense to include all the costs in adding something like removing the old rides.

mimitchi33

Just saw the film yesterday. I'd love it if they played "A Cover Is Not The Book" in the new ride or had a scene based on the Royal Doulton Music Hall sequence. That entire scene was the best part of the film.
I'd also love for them to include the scene at the fair at the end where everyone flies with balloons. That was my second favorite part.

Surferboy567

First off happy New Year’s Eve (it doesn’t really count till midnight I guess). I saw the movie a second time yesterday, the theater was nearly full. Whole theater clapped at the end both times. As for numbers to my understanding is great as the movie’s second week has been impressive not Aqua Man impressive but the numbers are good. If the movie keeps its current box office legs that could be very good. Making this a hit which raises its chances for inclusion. Also I liked the movie the second time even more mostly becuase of this one detail I noticed...

A cool thing I never noticed on my first viewing now that I think about it...kinda obvious during the carriage chase the weasel looking animals were representing the lawyers...that was clever can’t believe I didn’t notice that on my first viewing.

I’m hoping this movie is a hit mostly becuase I want to see it in Epcot. This was a great sequel, another reason I want it to do well. I’m not sure it really lends itself to a 3rd movie though...it’s probably best to leave it alone after this one. When I was watching the movie I was also thinking their are some prime candidates (the bowl for example) for mech so they can make their precious consumer products happy.

mimitchi33

First off happy New Year’s Eve (it doesn’t really count till midnight I guess). I saw the movie a second time yesterday, the theater was nearly full. Whole theater clapped at the end both times. As for numbers to my understanding is great as the movie’s second week has been impressive not Aqua Man impressive but the numbers are good. If the movie keeps its current box office legs that could be very good. Making this a hit which raises its chances for inclusion. Also I liked the movie the second time even more mostly becuase of this one detail I noticed...

A cool thing I never noticed on my first viewing now that I think about it...kinda obvious during the carriage chase the weasel looking animals were representing the lawyers...that was clever can’t believe I didn’t notice that on my first viewing.

I’m hoping this movie is a hit mostly becuase I want to see it in Epcot. This was a great sequel, another reason I want it to do well. I’m not sure it really lends itself to a 3rd movie though...it’s probably best to leave it alone after this one. When I was watching the movie I was also thinking their are some prime candidates (the bowl for example) for mech so they can make their precious consumer products happy.
I also saw this movie yesterday and my theater was also crowded!
I didn't notice that the lawyers were the guys stealing Georgie's giraffe. But then again, most of this film's fantasy sequences reflect the events the kids are going through. Another movie I saw this year, Mirai, used the same technique to reflect the events of Kun's life with events that happened in the past that he gets to go back to.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom