News Tomorrowland Speedway and Walt Disney World Railroad to be impacted by TRON construction at the Magic Kingdom

Timothy_Q

I know it's not in the cards, but I'd love to see them update the Speedway at some point and totally revamp the technology. Instead of the reverse slot bumpers, I'd love to see some kind of automated lane keeping system - visual or with embedded sensors. And if they switch to electric motors, they could increase the performance of the cars, allowing them to really get up to speed on the straightaways - especially if they implement variable speed governance to limit the speed entering corners, etc.
It is in the cards

https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/wdw-rumor-and-timeline-tracker-v-2.934137/#post-7911456

if you look at maps from the 70s the Speedway actually was bigger than it is now but it was reduced when they built the birthday funland on the other side.
If I'm counting correctly, this will be the fourth time the track has been rerouted/shortened. First for Space Mountain, second for Birthdayland, third for Dumbo 2.0. It's only about 2/3 the original length.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
If I'm counting correctly, this will be the fourth time the track has been rerouted/shortened. First for Space Mountain, second for Birthdayland, third for Dumbo 2.0. It's only about 2/3 the original length.
I’m pretty sure this is the 5th time. @marni1971 would know.

It was actually shortened in two places in 1973; by the Skyway (and the bridge was realigned) and the north end had a lot of kinks that were turned into one shorter curve. Then Birthdayland. Then FLE.

jbolen2

I would have thought one of the recent shortening of the layout would have included some kind of elevate track to make more room for other things like you would see at a beach.

Jones14

Primeval World was duplicated for Tokyo though, so it’s not totally unique, but it would be neat if WDW got its own exclusive show scene.
Given the location of the work, I wouldn’t be opposed to a futuristic sequence of some sort a la the PeopleMover. With the right planning it could segue nicely into the Tron coaster before continuing through Tomorrowland.

Animaniac93-98

Given the location of the work, I wouldn’t be opposed to a futuristic sequence of some sort a la the PeopleMover. With the right planning it could segue nicely into the Tron coaster before continuing through Tomorrowland.

Would also be cool to have the train go through TRON, but that would involve changing the track.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom