Wait Lines for New Gondolas

DisneyJoe

My intent was to distinguish line speeds between omnimovers and others that have the same throughput, for the comparison, I chose to refer to non-omnimovers as vehicles, sue me. If buses run every 20 minutes and each bus loads at the exact same speed and the gondolas are considered to have double the throughput, then a line-up at the bus will move half as quickly as a line-up for the gondolas. The only time that changes is when the line isn't busy and buses or gondolas load leaving no-one in line.

There are others that only provide boats, WL (MK), SSR, POR and POFQ (Disney Springs).
I have always been able to get a bus from WL to MK and back due to my ECV, and it is not a special request. I am sure @Driver can give more details, I believe the others may have buses too.

Last edited:

Damon7777

keep in mind the system is only servicing a few hotels and two theme parks. It will only be practical for a small percentage of people on property, which will help mitigate the wait times. Additionally,

I'm looking at that passage again and there is more that should be addressed:

In practice it will substantially affect hopping at 3 parks, not 2.

Right now few start their day at MK and monorail to Epcot and then do the 3 extra stop boat 35+ minute boat ride to Studios. This new leg of the journey will encourage 3 park visits on same day.

disney4life2008

Here is the problem. Most visitors to Disney aren't going to take the bus or ferry as an attraction. It's simply a mode to get from point a to b. Unfortunately, the gondola will be an attraction so I expect it to have immense wait times. And let's not forget the pathetic Disney bloggers who live and breathe all things Disney who will want to ride at every vantage point possible.

nickys

Premium Member
OK, how about this: Vehicles that stop to load vs vehicles that don't stop to load. Two options where if the maximum throughput capacity is rated the same ("X" guests/hour), the lines will progress at the same rate, whether stop and go or continuous movement, it's the maximum throughput that determines the speed of the line. "Perception" tends to psychologically lead people to believe that the omnimover line is faster, but it's not the case. As you stated in the original post, "even if I cannot back that up with any mathematical proof", the reason you can't back it up is because it's an impression/perception, not a fact.

Thanks!

Is it also a perception or a fact that a lack of facts never stops anyone here trying to “prove” anything? ;)

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Far more? I don't see it.

From here:

Another important factor is the speed and pacing of the line. Research by Daniel Kahneman, the psychologist whose work sparked a broad rethinking in economics, argues that consumers waiting in line experience a dual response: They become gradually demoralized as they wait but have a positive response to each forward movement of the queue. Their overall feeling about the experience depends on how these two responses balance out.

Damon7777

Well I am most definitely in favor of the clothing park to park......looking forward to riding and in a more efficient and interesting way than the semi dreaded 3 extra stop boat travel. If boats were non stop service then I would prefer that method over clothelining my way.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Unfortunately, the gondola will be an attraction so I expect it to have immense wait times.

Nope.

The rate of people the gondolas can handle is more than enough for peak times. A few extra gawkers and joy riders (who will try it out during the day far from peak times) will have no effect. No where near the tipping point for more people arriving than the ride can dispatch.

nickys

Premium Member
Here is the problem. Most visitors to Disney aren't going to take the bus or ferry as an attraction. It's simply a mode to get from point a to b. Unfortunately, the gondola will be an attraction so I expect it to have immense wait times. And let's not forget the pathetic Disney bloggers who live and breathe all things Disney who will want to ride at every vantage point possible.

I don’t see a problem with Disney bloggers or anyone else wanting to ride the gondolas. Why is it even an issue?

And if they want to document it from all angles, good for them. I am already looking forward to Martin’s Ultimate Tribute video. :D

Damon7777

MrPenguin, your #71 is worthy of a lot of attention and deservrs far more than a quick response. We should do a separate thread because it looks like a high quality topic.

Goofyernmost

They cant force people to ride the gondolas, there are a lot of people afraid of heights, they are not going to make guests find their own transportation to the parks, Disney will provide a way for you to get their, makes no sense to get rid of the busses from those resorts.
No, if there wasn't the knowledge that the Gondola's are the only means to get to those two parks, but, just like the MK resorts, it's either the Monorail or the boat. You can't handle either one, then you don't make reservations at those resorts. That's how you bypass the "forced" situation. You are not forced to reserve at a gondola resort. POP only had buses, what if I was afraid of buses or of the closeness of the people inside them. What alternate transportation would you suggest that Disney provide. Again, enter... don't reserve at the POP or bring a car. If you are afraid of Boats, Trains, Trams, Monorail, Cars or Gondola's staying at home would be the alternative.

Dave B

No, if there wasn't the knowledge that the Gondola's are the only means to get to those two parks, but, just like the MK resorts, it's either the Monorail or the boat. You can't handle either one, then you don't make reservations at those resorts. That's how you bypass the "forced" situation. You are not forced to reserve at a gondola resort. POP only had buses, what if I was afraid of buses or of the closeness of the people inside them. What alternate transportation would you suggest that Disney provide. Again, enter... don't reserve at the POP or bring a car. If you are afraid of Boats, Trains, Trams, Monorail, Cars or Gondola's staying at home would be the alternative.
When did you change your avatar? I like the new one

donsullivan

Premium Member
Correct a bus option will be available

But don't expect those buses to run at anything remotely close to the quantity and frequency you get today under normal conditions. If you're one who demands to live in the past and still ride a bus, you will have to wait a whole lot longer than you might today before the next one arrives and it will stop at a lot more places along the way or back en route. One of the big drivers for this whole thing is getting traffic off the roads which means fewer buses.

And before you attack about 'live in the past' I get that I'm exaggerating here a little, but way too many people here do not want anything at Disney to ever change and they whine and complain relentlessly every time something does. As has been said countless times here, Disney is not required to accommodate an individual phobia and provide alternatives to deal with that. Disney is providing transportation to the parks, if a guest doesn't like the transportation they provide Disney is not obliged to provide an alternative they do like.

Dave B

But don't expect those buses to run at anything remotely close to the quantity and frequency you get today under normal conditions. If you're one who demands to live in the past and still ride a bus, you will have to wait a whole lot longer than you might today before the next one arrives and it will stop at a lot more places along the way or back en route. One of the big drivers for this whole thing is getting traffic off the roads which means fewer buses.

And before you attack about 'live in the past' I get that I'm exaggerating here a little, but way too many people here do not want anything at Disney to ever change and they whine and complain relentlessly every time something does. As has been said countless times here, Disney is not required to accommodate an individual phobia and provide alternatives to deal with that. Disney is providing transportation to the parks, if a guest doesn't like the transportation they provide Disney is not obliged to provide an alternative they do like.
I am not one to live in the past, just pointing out that there will be more than one option to get to the park

donsullivan

Premium Member
I am not one to live in the past, just pointing out that there will be more than one option to get to the park

I was trying not to respond to you directly but making more of a generalization of this thread. I'm guessing that if you choose the alternative it will take you orders of magnitude longer to get to one of the connected parks and even longer to get back. It will not be even a little bit convenient. To be honest, I would not be surprised to see a situation where you have to go to another park/resort and then take a bus from there to studios/Epcot if you refuse to ride the gondola and are unwilling to pay for some other alternative.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom