Universal Has Started Charging $2 for Some Ride Lockers

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
0nQEjI7.jpg
images(9).jpg

fosse76

I believe the legitimacy of their reasoning. They are taking extra (very extra) precautions with Hulk and Rockit. Both, as mentioned, go over guest areas at high speeds. Providing complimentary lockers stifles the frustration of the policy and re-affirms that it is in the name of safety. Charging for those lockers, though, means "it's for your safety and also we are nickel and diming you for it so pony up if you want to ride!" and many will see it as a complete scam.

At worst, injuries caused by falling objects would be minimal bruising. And that's in the slight chance the object actually hits someone. The fact that riders who can secure loose items in zippered pockets are still required to put everything in a locker indicates that this absurd policy is a public overreaction to the alleged Dueling Dragons incidents (but there is no doubt in my mind that it was ride related, such as a loose bolt from the train, and not an external factor, such as rider or non-rider throwing objects at the train). Since no other park in the world has such a strict policy on loose articles, that demonstrates the injuries from loose articles is of no real concern (Kingda Ka at Great Adventure notwithstanding, but that policy is a result of the misguided decision to place a drop tower ride on its support structure).

flynnibus

Premium Member
At worst, injuries caused by falling objects would be minimal bruising. And that's in the slight chance the object actually hits someone. The fact that riders who can secure loose items in zippered pockets are still required to put everything in a locker indicates that this absurd policy is a public overreaction to the alleged Dueling Dragons incidents

So clearly you are so put off by rules you don’t think SHOULD apply to you... because “you’re safe”... you’re willing to just accept the risk of “probably won’t happen” just so you won’t be inconvenienced. While you still ignore the evidence right in front of you at nearly all parks. (Crap in the nets)

The reason parks go to these extremes is you can’t trust the public to police themselves... they always think “nah I’m good”. And rather than argue with every 5th guest, or expect your front line employees to make judgment calls that could have high risks... you set a zero policy.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
At worst, injuries caused by falling objects would be minimal bruising. And that's in the slight chance the object actually hits someone. The fact that riders who can secure loose items in zippered pockets are still required to put everything in a locker indicates that this absurd policy is a public overreaction to the alleged Dueling Dragons incidents (but there is no doubt in my mind that it was ride related, such as a loose bolt from the train, and not an external factor, such as rider or non-rider throwing objects at the train). Since no other park in the world has such a strict policy on loose articles, that demonstrates the injuries from loose articles is of no real concern (Kingda Ka at Great Adventure notwithstanding, but that policy is a result of the misguided decision to place a drop tower ride on its support structure).

Go tell that to the person that lost an eye, and see how that works out for you. While you're at it, shoot a penny into your face at 60MPH and let us know if it only leaves a minimal bruise. :happy::joyfull:

fosse76

Except the Dualing Dragons incidents happened more than once. And why the attraction's ride profile was changed, long before it was actually shutdown. You call this rumors? https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...llercoasters-Dragon-Challenge-race-again.html

There is no evidence that it was loose item in a rider's pocket, or another rider or non-rider throwing objects at the train. There is no doubt in my mind it was structural, either from the train or the ride structure. Otherwise they would have publicly stated that a loose item was the cause. A loose item or intentional action from another rider would have giving them mitigating factors in liability.

And you must have never seen all the guest items that accumulate on the nets around various coasters at many parks?
Perhaps you didn't read the part where I stated I worked at a theme park for several years. I know how often things are lost. And to be perfectly honest, it's not as much as you think it is. The odds of any real injury are pretty non-existent. Minor bruising would be the worst outcome. Even being hit by a falling object would be exceedingly rare. And I've worked on rides that are significantly more intense than the coasters in question.

You think Universal Spends all the money to install metal and operate detectors for what? To drive locker sales?
Yes. These were installed shortly after Comcast acquired the property. There is no doubt in my mind that this was motivated by both money and an overreaction to whatever happened on Dueling Dragons.

Did you not see the California Screamin' shutdown caused by a backpack that came loose? https://www.themeparktourist.com/ne...ornia-screamin-coaster-disney-california-adve

One random incident does not justify treating paying customers like criminals and forcing them to put a paper clip in a locker. Even something as simply as a hat could (and has) cause(d) similar shutdowns. But it is rare enough that most parks will simply ask to remove hats, not lock them up in Fort Knox.

Loose item incidents are real - I don't know how anyone in their right mind thinks it's fabricated.
No one said loose articles are fabricated. The severity of injuries that can be caused by these objects are being overstated by apologists such as yourself to justify the ridiculous locker policy at Universal.

fosse76

So clearly you are so put off by rules you don’t think SHOULD apply to you... because “you’re safe”... you’re willing to just accept the risk of “probably won’t happen” just so you won’t be inconvenienced. While you still ignore the evidence right in front of you at nearly all parks. (Crap in the nets)

I could get hit by a car crossing the street (which, by the way, is more likely than getting injured at a theme park). Should I not ever cross a street? My plane to Florida could crash (which is even less likelier than getting hit by a car). Should I not ever board a plane? I live in New York. I could be killed by a terrorist (which is even less likely than the plane crash). Should I move? All of these mundane actions (crossing the street, flying in a plane, or living in New York) are causes to exercise the "probably won't happen" mentality you mentioned above. You are simply being ridiculous.

The reason parks go to these extremes is you can’t trust the public to police themselves... they always think “nah I’m good”. And rather than argue with every 5th guest, or expect your front line employees to make judgment calls that could have high risks... you set a zero policy.
Putting up a net is one thing. Forcing someone to go through a metal detector on the very remote chance something will fall out of their pocket and seriously injure someone is not only an inconvenience, it's unfounded.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
There is no evidence that it was loose item in a rider's pocket, or another rider or non-rider throwing objects at the train. There is no doubt in my mind it was structural, either from the train or the ride structure. Otherwise they would have publicly stated that a loose item was the cause. A loose item or intentional action from another rider would have giving them mitigating factors in liability.

That are made public maybe.

Perhaps you didn't read the part where I stated I worked at a theme park for several years. I know how often things are lost. And to be perfectly honest, it's not as much as you think it is. The odds of any real injury are pretty non-existent. Minor bruising would be the worst outcome. Even being hit by a falling object would be exceedingly rare. And I've worked on rides that are significantly more intense than the coasters in question.

I'm not sure how you can believe this, just look at any netting at attractions that employ it and that just shows what is large enough to be caught by the net. I've lost things on attractions before, like my phone which came right out of my pocket on Forbidden Journey because I forgot to put in a locker. I made a $700 mistake.

Yes. These were installed shortly after Comcast acquired the property. There is no doubt in my mind that this was motivated by both money and an overreaction to whatever happened on Dueling Dragons.

..or it could be that they did the right thing to reduce attraction accidents.

One random incident does not justify treating paying customers like criminals and forcing them to put a paper clip in a locker. Even something as simply as a hat could (and has) cause(d) similar shutdowns. But it is rare enough that most parks will simply ask to remove hats, not lock them up in Fort Knox.

Except that it's not just one random incident. These things happen all the time, but Disney and Universal are not regulated by state of Florida and have no requirement to disclose the incidents unless they are of a certain criticality.

No one said loose articles are fabricated. The severity of injuries that can be caused by these objects are being overstated by apologists such as yourself to justify the ridiculous locker policy at Universal.

You can always just stay home.

OG Runner

No one said loose articles are fabricated. The severity of injuries that can be caused by these objects are being overstated by apologists such as yourself to justify the ridiculous locker policy at Universal.[/QUOTE]

The problem people are having, as previously discussed is not the use of the lockers. The safe precaution is understood.
The fact that Universal is now charging for the lockers, that were previously provided for free, is. It doesn't matter if every
other park is doing it. Universal did not do it, in the past, and it is now a charge, (however how small), that people were
not intending to have to pay.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
The problem people are having, as previously discussed is not the use of the lockers. The safe precaution is understood.
The fact that Universal is now charging for the lockers, that were previously provided for free, is. It doesn't matter if every
other park is doing it. Universal did not do it, in the past, and it is now a charge, (however how small), that people were
not intending to have to pay.

Minor correction, the new charge is only for large lockers at attractions that require use. The new smaller (half height) lockers at the same attractions are currently still free.

Tom Morrow

Just playing devil’s advocate but if the dragons incident had been a bolt from the train it would be less damaging than something thrown at the train from off ride or from the other train, because the bolt would initially be going the same speed as the train.

Bolts on the ride structure itself are huge and would have been found in investigations. They also almost definitely inspected all trains throroughly after the incident.

I mean. They could also try to cover it up if they found a bolt was missing from a train. But probably not.

flynnibus

Premium Member

Why would they publically go into that level of detail if they didn’t have to. They settle with the impacted parties regardless. Lawyer simply argues it’s the design, not maintenance that is the negligent part. And shocker... what did uni change? The ride profile...

You really don’t have any idea what risk mitigation and liability is really about. “Yes your honor, we did know this could happen, and does happen frequently, but we didn’t feel it was necessary to mitigate because even when it did happen, we figured it on,y have minor injuries. I mean come on, look at how hard it is to hit a person, or something small.. like your eye”

You’d be doubling the checks... not minimizing them.

Except... telling riders to remove loose items has been standard op procedure for decades.
Lockers were installed to replace cubbies as the parks got more aggressive with telling guests to remove items and people had more valuable items they didn’t want to leave in the open. This was done at great expense... yet the lockers were free for ride use. Sounds like a horrible money trap execution if the vast majority of uses are not paid for

Only later, did metal detectors get added... again at great expense.

So they twice make huge investments, that have high capital and operating costs... they charge nothing for them... and you call it a plan all along for a money grab?

It’s a safety expense they did, that they’ve been trying to claw some of their costs back on. The free use they settled on for riders torpedoes any plans to make money off the thing. Plus, they’ve added more lockers since settling on that model.

If that is a money grab plan... you’re a worse accountant than younatre safety designer.

And once again you show your true colors in why you are against these measures....

No, you are just trying to argue they don’t happen, To the complete denial of the documented examples of where they do.

I mean... the metal detectors were added later... why do you think that is? Because self policing was not deemed effective and uni had to spend considerable money to raise their safety barrier. You think they just had some extra money in the budget and were like....”hrmmm anyone have any idea what we can do with this money, that will cost us now, and every year going forward?”

Who benefits from uni making such changes? Only uni’s liability position.

To suggest they are a money grab is rediculous by both history and the math. The lockers have been free to riders for many years... also the world’s worst money grab pitch.

Changing the pricing on lockers now and why... is not how/why the lockers and screening were added in the first place.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
Just playing devil’s advocate but if the dragons incident had been a bolt from the train it would be less damaging than something thrown at the train from off ride or from the other train, because the bolt would initially be going the same speed as the train.

Uhh... everything on the other train is moving at the same speed as everything else on the the other train.. including things in your pockets. The only difference would be is if something were thrown with force (like being hit, or centrifugal force). A bolt coming lose, or your change coming out... they both have the same initial velocity.

I mean. They could also try to cover it up if they found a bolt was missing from a train. But probably not.

If it were true, the lawyers would have been getting settlements for everyone involv d that day... not just those injuried. Because they would have claimed they all were put at risk by the failure, etc.

It’s just a fantasy that fosse is coming up with to support his position to diminish the documented risks.

It's like not having a backdrop at a shooting gallery and saying.... well, the pellets are really small, most get stopped... and even if they don't, it won't really hurt anyone. Freaking Brilliant!

Last edited:

JohnD

The small lockers that are roughly the size of a PO Box are still free, but Universal has started charging guests $2 for the larger lockers that can hold a back-pack, shopping bag or upright drink cup.

Personally, I think this is terrible customer service that will end up costing them sales in the long run. They can't end this policy soon enough.

Edit: Picture of free lockers:

a52a54ae-1bce-46d3-890a-4892435d147d-jpeg.368268

Confirm from UOAP FB Page:

8e1bc8fc-1225-4f06-beb1-208c0f470daf-png.368269

I can confirm that the lockers at Forbidden Journey are free while the lockers across from Blutos have a charge. My guess is that rides like FJ, Mummy, and Gringots are requirements to ride where barges and Ripshaw Falls aren’t.

Last edited:

Tom Morrow

Uhh... everything on the other train is moving at the same speed as everything else on the the other train.. including things in your pockets. The only difference would be is if something were thrown with force (like being hit, or centrifugal force). A bolt coming lose, or your change coming out... they both have the same initial velocity.
Oh yeah... haha. For some reason I was only considering bolts coming off of the train that the injured passenger was riding on.

Last edited:

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Alright, after finally making it to the parks, I gotta say... The free lockers are pretty roomy.

Fit my wallet, my phone, my sister's bag, and my mom's bag. Comfortably. Not holding the refill cup while full is ridiculous. But that problem was solved by simply not buying soda and drinking free water. But if we ever really wanted soda or Icee, it isn't the worst thing ever to have to dump out and refill after rides.

Overall, it's a definite added frustration. But the free lockers aren't that small really. And only having the small size be free doesn't really make things much more annoying than requiring lockers on everything already does.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom