PHOTOS - Temporary store to open during a major update to World of Disney at Disney Springs

tl77

Great pic...but actually from the '80s (see Figment plush)...the original Disney merchandise location was "Pooh's Character Shop" which was even smaller.
I just remember that crazy "hot air balloon/flying machine" in the middle of the room, which is the kind of thing I expect to see at store called "World of Disney"

DisneyFreak

All those building expanded and melded together over the years

Red circle is location of the character shop in your photo above. Blue circle is current location of World of Disney.

1541019585460.png

KBLovedDisney

I'm slowly coming to terms with the store change. Don't like it, but can't do anything about it. That being said, has anyone shopped there yet in it's new incarnation? What is your experience?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Aside from the missing/changed artwork, what would you say makes it better now?

I felt the old store was grungy, and it's layout was as chaotic as the acid-trip fliberglass 'whimsies' littering the airspace.

The new store is as @peter11435 said, clean, organized, and it still has moments of whimsy in the animations (rather than the in-your-face whimsies of the past) that are sufficient. And, it has a story and theme, something which people said the old store had, but, aside from an acid-trip, I couldn't figure out what that story or theme was.

I hate the font and color wheel of the outdoor new signage, though. In general, the outside needs a little something.

KBLovedDisney

I felt the old store was grungy, and it's layout was as chaotic as the acid-trip fliberglass 'whimsies' littering the airspace.

The new store is as @peter11435 said, clean, organized, and it still has moments of whimsy in the animations (rather than the in-your-face whimsies of the past) that are sufficient. And, it has a story and theme, something which people said the old store had, but, aside from an acid-trip, I couldn't figure out what that story or theme was.

I hate the font and color wheel of the outdoor new signage, though. In general, the outside needs a little something.
Eh. Acid trip to you maybe and possibly many others here on the forum. Not to all of us, but to each their own. It does look cleaner and the art is still there, just on a much more simplistic side.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
"Too many people are wandering around the World of Disney store looking at all the stuff instead of buying lots of merchandise. This is unacceptable, change it!!!" - Bob Chapek

;)

I never had a problem navigating the old WoD store, and I knew where things were. Hopefully I'll have a chance to check out the remodel in January.

Obobru

The store sells such low quality Chinese made junk that the decoration was what lured me in and usually resulted in me leaving with a bag of the junk as lost myself in the store. The last visit we were in and out in minutes as seemed dull and we actually ended up buying some t-shirts in Uniqlo instead.

The "story" is most likely some over convoluted nonsense, stores don't need stories and I doubt the old store had one as it was fitted out in a time where they didn't feel the need to make up some contrived nonsense for every little thing. Next vending carts selling Mickey bars will need to have some "story"

Jon81uk

The store sells such low quality Chinese made junk that the decoration was what lured me in and usually resulted in me leaving with a bag of the junk as lost myself in the store. The last visit we were in and out in minutes as seemed dull and we actually ended up buying some t-shirts in Uniqlo instead.

That says more about the quality of the product than the store decor. Uniqlo has no Disney theming, just a nice uncluttered Japanese style wood and white store. But they have well designed t-shirts at a good price.
It doesn’t matter what the store looks like, if the product isn’t what you are looking for at the price you are willing to pay, you won’t buy it. I loved some of the Disney t-shirts on my last trip but I wasn’t paying $40 for them. I also loved some of the Uniqlo t-shirts (even though I could probably have found them in London at some point) and I was definitely willing to pay $15 for the Uniqlo ones.

Disney need to take a step back from a lot of the merchandise and actually wonder if people are willing to genuinely pay that price for it.

Ripken10

Aside from the missing/changed artwork, what would you say makes it better now?
personal anecdotes don't mean much, but I think it was ok. Not a must do for us anymore. I am usually closer to a pixieduster, but the store was rather boring to us. First time I have gone there and didn't come out with a lot of merchandise, might not mean anything, but didn't see the same things I used to see. the couple that came with us didn't spend much time in there at all. I do think it fits the Disney springs more, but I liked the old store better.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom