PHOTOS - Temporary store to open during a major update to World of Disney at Disney Springs

CJR

It's not bad, but it's also not anything special. I can see how it's flexible, but I don't think it's particularly magical.

Sums up my thoughts as well. Went through it in person today and wasn't very impressed, despite liking the videos I saw earlier.

The good: Lighting effects, tile flooring, less walls, better overall merchandise presentation.
The bad: Still cramped and over-crowded, no ceiling in a good portion of the store (vents, etc), less Disney props/theming, felt more generic.

Ultimately, it's a store, it'll be fine. I don't imagine sales will hurt or anything like that, if anything, with the new enhancements, they might see a slight bump. The slightly added space, by taking out the walls, is unlikely to change complaints from the previous version, still way too crowded and cluttered, IMO.

The biggest perk is that they'll be able to change out rooms more easily, you can most definitely see it. Right now, the old princess room is entirely Christmas/holiday merchandise. It's by far one of the most beautiful parts of the store and the ceiling (this area has one) is lit up in red and green. Overtime, this room will be different, I'm sure, and that's the real point of this project, not as much to end crowding, because it didn't do much there, IMO, after seeing it today.

Sorry, if this seemed jumbled, it's a bit late and I'm a bit tired, just wanted to get my notes in while it's fresh.

PizzaPlanet

I really like the focus on the original era of Disney animation. The various effects, like the drawings coming to life are all awesome. But I feel like they still could have used a lot more of this "Disney magic" to make the store feel alive.
Stitch is still there in the outside compete with water effect.
I love how the only character statue they kept also happened to be the most obnoxious one. :hilarious:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I don't imagine sales will hurt or anything like that, if anything, with the new enhancements, they might see a slight bump
This change was entirely driven by the desire to increase sales. Management has not been happy with the performance of the store, and has set some lofty targets. The old store's layout and design was deemed to be the problem - will be interesting to see if this new design improves things.

FullSailDan

This change was entirely driven by the desire to increase sales. Management has not been happy with the performance of the store, and has set some lofty targets. The old store's layout and design was deemed to be the problem - will be interesting to see if this new design improves things.

I think this is a shift in the right direction to increase sales. I'm firmly in the camp that this increases satisfaction with the average guest experience. However, I also think many have different expectations of this place, and the springs in general, than what the company does.

There seems to be an expectation that the springs, and this store, should be providing an "experience" like one would seek in the parks. The springs is intended to be a destination, but it's not an immersed world like the parks. It's not a theme park, it's a shopping/dining/entertainment district. It's been given unique architecture, water, and some music to make it more appealing, but it's not meant to be main street. But even I'll admit, for me, MK's emporium and it's brethren of shops are a mess and feel like KB toys used to at the end of a busy day near the holidays; packed with people, un-navigable, shelves in disarray, and sensory overload.

Monorail_Red_77

I think this is a shift in the right direction to increase sales. I'm firmly in the camp that this increases satisfaction with the average guest experience. However, I also think many have different expectations of this place, and the springs in general, than what the company does.

There seems to be an expectation that the springs, and this store, should be providing an "experience" like one would seek in the parks. The springs is intended to be a destination, but it's not an immersed world like the parks. It's not a theme park, it's a shopping/dining/entertainment district. It's been given unique architecture, water, and some music to make it more appealing, but it's not meant to be main street. But even I'll admit, for me, MK's emporium and it's brethren of shops are a mess and feel like KB toys used to at the end of a busy day near the holidays; packed with people, un-navigable, shelves in disarray, and sensory overload.

Am I the only one seeing a reduction in merchandise variety?
A recent example is the antenna toppers.
Emporium along with other locations used to have these tiered kiosk baskets that had a multitude of different styles. You had your basic Minnie or Mickey along with seasonal options even including other characters like Sully, etc. I don't remember exactly but seemed like there were at least 15 maybe more different choices.

In the past few months I have noticed they removed this. Now the only way you can get antenna toppers is on the short walls at the checkout areas. The choices here though are pathetic. Now you get an option of maybe 3 prepackaged choices and maybe 5 loose choices. Plus, get this, no classic Mickey or Minnie. Closest thing I could get was Orange Bird wearing a Mickey hat. I needed this one anyway. But Kinda bummed no more classics.

I have checked Emporium, Mouse Gear, World of Disney all are the same. I get it that it is probably because of cost. But for me, if you don't have what I want. I'm not buying it.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?

hmmm...I am seeing the exact opposite. True at local Disney stores as well. Maybe some specific products have less variety if that is what you were getting at but different (new) choices of merchandise all around.

DisneyOutsider

Emporium along with other locations used to have these tiered kiosk baskets that had a multitude of different styles. You had your basic Minnie or Mickey along with seasonal options even including other characters like Sully, etc. I don't remember exactly but seemed like there were at least 15 maybe more different choices.

In the past few months I have noticed they removed this. Now the only way you can get antenna toppers is on the short walls at the checkout areas. The choices here though are pathetic. Now you get an option of maybe 3 prepackaged choices and maybe 5 loose choices. Plus, get this, no classic Mickey or Minnie. Closest thing I could get was Orange Bird wearing a Mickey hat. I needed this one anyway. But Kinda bummed no more classics.

I have checked Emporium, Mouse Gear, World of Disney all are the same. I get it that it is probably because of cost. But for me, if you don't have what I want. I'm not buying it.

I don't think it has anything to do with cost. I imagine they probably just don't sell much anymore. I think that antenna toppers are on the verge of becoming extinct altogether. Many modern cars have nowhere to attach them.

FullSailDan

I think the antenna toppers have more to do with cars not having whip/pole antennas anymore. Most cars have internal or window etched ones these days. Even most cars with antennas that stick out these days are for older style satellite antennas.

tl77

The look of World of Disney was definitely 90s not 70s. The buildings exteriors might be in the village area but not the store decor.
So what if they rethink it in another 20 years, the previous garish theming looked out of date after 20 years too.
They do update it every 20 years or so, this pic is the original from the 70's...
3863275955_e72db94045_o.jpg

but the current look that the just finished, with the exposed brick and visible AC ducts, isn't new, that's been Urban Outfitters look since at least the late 90's, and to me it's not really worth a day from my vacation to go check out
urban.jpg

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Thanks for this insight.

Interesting strategy, while I think a new layout was beneficial and needed, I don't know how the new lifeless look will drive sales. In other words, layout is probably more important to drive sales rather than changing the timeless look of the old store.

CJR

I'd say anytime a company spends money on their product, they're looking for a pay off. We see that a lot in retail, such as Dunkin' changing their name to remove Donuts. It's pretty hit and miss from what I can tell, especially when too much attention is turned to cosmetics and not enough to what's on the shelves. You can have a really nice store, but if customers don't see value in the product, the store will still have issues.

The beauty in the new design though, is that they can easily swap out sections to expand on what's working. The Christmas section can turn into a heroes section, to a princess section, to a patriotic section, etc. That could work out more in their favor, IMO. So, looking at that, I think they'll see some results. There'll be some product misses, but Disney's so broad they'll most certainly have something people are wanting, in general.

SteamboatStitch

I won't bash it for changing its look, that is something that happens from time to time. But did they have to make it look so...bland? Generic? I dunno if those are the words I'm looking for, but it just doesn't look like anything special.

mm121

The video posted is quite literally at 3X speed. Don't know why.

Here's the YouTube version. Click on the gear and in speed you can choose .25 or .5 to see what normal speed looks like (even though the video is then jerky). Looks like compression only kept every third frame...

Oh, yeah. Almost forgot...

SCREEENZZ!!!1!!

Not as bad once finished, though still quite a change.

Can't really judge from a short video if the change was for the better or for the worse.

mm121

Doesn't this new look kinda defeat the purpose of the expansion that they built last year?

Since with this redo the store holds the same or less merchandise as the un expanded store due to the more open layout and larger checkout area.

Jon81uk

Doesn't this new look kinda defeat the purpose of the expansion that they built last year?

Since with this redo the store holds the same or less merchandise as the un expanded store due to the more open layout and larger checkout area.

They are hoping that wider aisles and more space makes a nicer shopping experience so people will stay longer in the store rather than getting frustrated with the crowded layout and claustrophobic feel. So they may still only have the same amount of merchandise, but better checkouts and more space to circulate and see what is for sale.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
They are hoping that wider aisles and more space makes a nicer shopping experience so people will stay longer in the store rather than getting frustrated with the crowded layout and claustrophobic feel. So they may still only have the same amount of merchandise, but better checkouts and more space to circulate and see what is for sale.
I've personally given up and walked out of there on multiple occasions. Either the lines were too long, or it was so crowded that it wasn't worth the effort to have a look see. If this improves both of those things, maybe they get an extra sale or three from people like me.

disneyC97

They do update it every 20 years or so, this pic is the original from the 70's...
View attachment 323060

but the current look that the just finished, with the exposed brick and visible AC ducts, isn't new, that's been Urban Outfitters look since at least the late 90's, and to me it's not really worth a day from my vacation to go check out
View attachment 323061
Great pic...but actually from the '80s (see Figment plush)...the original Disney merchandise location was "Pooh's Character Shop" which was even smaller.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom