The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

21stamps

On a totally different note, I’d appreciate input on 2 different subjects..

1. T has his initial session/evaluation today at 3:30 for acceleration training.. I think I’ve mentioned that his running mechanics are off since his last growth spurt, and he is also getting a lot of leg pain because the kid is not stretching properly.
The running mechanics being off is normal and common in kids, but with his soccer it’s an inconvenient time. A teammate did the training and loved it.
So here’s the thing though- it’s $455 for 6 weeks (three one hour sessions per week). They are supposed to be in their “off season” when doing it. T is currently on 3 sports teams, so it’s definitely not an off season, but it is one of the slower months of the year for him. I was all gung ho for the program to start, everyone who has gone has given nothing but rave reviews... but now I’m questioning it. It’s A LOT of money for me!! No refunds or credits if you pay and don’t use it within 8 weeks from the time of first session (today for us), with the exception of an injury. I wonder- Is he really going to enjoy running on a treadmill 3 hours per week?! I hate the treadmill.. and I run (more accurately-did run, not so much the past year).
Edited to add- it is more than treadmill, there’s a lot of agility exercises as well, but the treadmill/mechanics will be the focus for T more than anything else.
I don’t know if this is really “worth it”.

2. I have 3 kids on my soccer team who’s parents still have not paid their player fees and jersey cost. I’ve sent several reminders to the entire team, as well as to the individual families. Money was due October 31st. I know it’s a crazy busy time of year, and I understand that people forget, I forget a lot of things!.. However, I’m starting to get annoyed now. I’m contemplating sending out another email which states that if player and jersey fees aren’t paid, then a player will not be able to play this weekend. I hate to do that! I hate chasing money..

What would you do?

Last edited:

Rista1313

It was actually through the book that is Face. Who uses mail anymore?

Well here's the issue with us older generations. I graduated in 1988, computers were just being introduced to schools in the late 80's. Over half of my graduating class is not on Facebook and may not be tech savvy. I do agree with you that younger and future generations won't ever need to mail invitations... but the older generations, it's still needed.

StarWarsGirl

Not a fan of these reunions hu?
Nope.

I have spoken to very few of my high school classmates. I am still friends with only one friend (the one who went to DL with me about two years ago). I've known her since infancy, though, so there's a very valid reason behind it. She and her boyfriend were in my graduating class, but didn't meet until after graduation. My other friend who I talk to regularly went to my high school and was a year ahead, but she and I weren't friends until college.

I caught up with a few people from high school when I had a Spanish since a lot of them went there (only three people went to my college from my class, and one transferred). I'm friends with a few. But the majority of them...I just don't care about seeing them.

If my friend and her boyfriend were going, I might think about going, but she's probably not (she hasn't even gotten the invite) so I probably won't.

21stamps

Nope.

I have spoken to very few of my high school classmates. I am still friends with only one friend (the one who went to DL with me about two years ago). I've known her since infancy, though, so there's a very valid reason behind it. She and her boyfriend were in my graduating class, but didn't meet until after graduation. My other friend who I talk to regularly went to my high school and was a year ahead, but she and I weren't friends until college.

I caught up with a few people from high school when I had a Spanish since a lot of them went there (only three people went to my college from my class, and one transferred). I'm friends with a few. But the majority of them...I just don't care about seeing them.

If my friend and her boyfriend were going, I might think about going, but she's probably not (she hasn't even gotten the invite) so I probably won't.

At what kind of venue will the reunion be held?

All of my previous ones have been at trendy bars..One of them was all girls only, which was a lot of fun. If it’s being held at a bar, you could always pop in and leave if you aren’t having fun.

I’m not attending this grade school anniversary extravaganza because A. It’s white tie, and I’m not buying a gown. B. It’s a dinner and reserved seating. C. It’s not something that I would pop in and out of. D. It’s definitely more of a couples event, imo.
If it was a bar, I would go.

MouseDreaming

I really dislike how times have changed on birthdays. I have a summer bday, my brother has a very late summer bday, my sister’s bday is the last day of September.

If we were growing up in current times, at least 2 of us would have started a year later, and I’d be on the cusp.
I remember my sister being annoyed that she was still 17 when she went to college, and that she was definitely the last to drive.. but in the end it makes so much more sense than holding them back.

I hear so many people today say things like “Oh we waited a year because my son/daughter has a late bday.” As in- July.lol

I don’t know when that changed.
That mind set really took hold when my son was young. He was very ready for Kindergarten, despite his July Birthday. I remember talking to my neighbor, who couldn't believe we wouldn't hold him back. Her son, who went to the Catholic school up the road didn't give her and her DH a choice in the matter. Gave her all sorts of reasons to not have a summer Birthday start that year. Let's just say, it was a good idea my DS started when he did, and very good for her son to wait a year.

Our school district now has a firm, no way around it, must be born on or before Sept. 1. And, I have known kids who benefitted, and a few who missed the date by a week or less that were forced into another year of preK.

MouseDreaming

On a totally different note, I’d appreciate input on 2 different subjects..

1. T has his initial session/evaluation today at 3:30 for acceleration training.. I think I’ve mentioned that his running mechanics are off since his last growth spurt, and he is also getting a lot of leg pain because the kid is not stretching properly.
The running mechanics being off is normal and common in kids, but with his soccer it’s an inconvenient time. A teammate did the training and loved it.
So here’s the thing though- it’s $455 for 6 weeks (three one hour sessions per week). They are supposed to be in their “off season” when doing it. T is currently on 3 sports teams, so it’s definitely not an off season, but it is one of the slower months of the year for him. I was all gung ho for the program to start, everyone who has gone has given nothing but rave reviews... but now I’m questioning it. It’s A LOT of money for me!! No refunds or credits if you pay and don’t use it within 8 weeks from the time of first session (today for us), with the exception of an injury. I wonder- Is he really going to enjoy running on a treadmill 3 hours per week?! I hate the treadmill.. and I run (more accurately-did run, not so much the past year).
Edited to add- it is more than treadmill, there’s a lot of agility exercises as well, but the treadmill/mechanics will be the focus for T more than anything else.
I don’t know if this is really “worth it”.

2. I have 3 kids on my soccer team who’s parents still have not paid their player fees and jersey cost. I’ve sent several reminders to the entire team, as well as to the individual families. Money was due October 31st. I know it’s a crazy busy time of year, and I understand that people forget, I forget a lot of things!.. However, I’m starting to get annoyed now. I’m contemplating sending out another email which states that if player and jersey fees aren’t paid, then a player will not be able to play this weekend. I hate to do that! I hate chasing money..

What would you do?
If he really loves soccer, and is on board with the process, it could be good for him. As long as he understands in the long run it will be good, but short term, not so much. Kind of like wearing braces. Awful short term, but big payoff when they come off.

As for point 2, no one likes doing that, but I think it is more than reasonable. If you feel it appropriate, you could add something about if it is difficult at this time, please talk to you so arrangements can be made.

MouseDreaming

Well here's the issue with us older generations. I graduated in 1988, computers were just being introduced to schools in the late 80's. Over half of my graduating class is not on Facebook and may not be tech savvy. I do agree with you that younger and future generations won't ever need to mail invitations... but the older generations, it's still needed.
Same year, no mailed invitations, here. Just an invite to the page on the book of face.

21stamps

That mind set really took hold when my son was young. He was very ready for Kindergarten, despite his July Birthday. I remember talking to my neighbor, who couldn't believe we wouldn't hold him back. Her son, who went to the Catholic school up the road didn't give her and her DH a choice in the matter. Gave her all sorts of reasons to not have a summer Birthday start that year. Let's just say, it was a good idea my DS started when he did, and very good for her son to wait a year.

Our school district now has a firm, no way around it, must be born on or before Sept. 1. And, I have known kids who benefitted, and a few who missed the date by a week or less that were forced into another year of preK.

Yeah, I don’t consider a July birthday as a reason to start school a year later! This is also one of the reasons why sports have had to change to strict birth years/cutoff dates because too many of those kids were having too much of an advantage.

What bothers me about a strict school cutoff is now that kindergarten requires a test and interview/evaluation.. why does the birthday matter? If they’re ready, let them go.

If he really loves soccer, and is on board with the process, it could be good for him. As long as he understands in the long run it will be good, but short term, not so much. Kind of like wearing braces. Awful short term, but big payoff when they come off.

As for point 2, no one likes doing that, but I think it is more than reasonable. If you feel it appropriate, you could add something about if it is difficult at this time, please talk to you so arrangements can be made.

Thanks, that’s great advice!! Especially the braces analogy! I think I’m going to arrive early today and ask if I can have one night to think about the full fee, i want to make sure that T is one hundred percent committed.

As for the second point, if I thought it had any thing to do with personal finances I wouldn’t be annoyed. I severely doubt it though, I know these families well. The combined fee is $98 per player, and I can’t imagine that any of them don’t have that amount. We all use Venmo, and as I said, I understand it slipping their minds.. but after my message Monday I would have thought they would have read it and thought “oh I’ll Venmo the money now”.
I don’t think it’s intentional, just getting a little rude and putting me in an uncomfortable position at this point. I feel like a nag. I know I’m the only one with 1 child, but his sports still cost enough that I don’t want to pay for other kids to play sports as well!lol

Last edited:

Cesar R M

Nope.

We're similar, most of my schoolmates were kinda dicks. no real friends in a sense.
As soon we got out, barely any communication or reunion stuff.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Yep unfortunately. We are getting prepared. Propane for the fireplace and grill. Water and food tomorrow. If you add up all the weather forecasters are saying, we could get up to 18 inches!!!😡Maybe it will be our biggest and not do much more this year. 😁Last year at this time, we had a big snow right before we left for Disney. We only had little snows of a couple of inches the rest of the winter.
Sympathy like. Maybe try and send it to @Mr Ferret 88 or @MinnieM123. Any word on if your dh is getting called out? Stay safe and warm my friend

Figgy1

Premium Member
I'm going to bed early tonight, phone is getting shut off and earplugs are going in. I went to sew something and kept getting an error message, rechecked everything 3 times then checked the error code, guess who didn't put the pressure foot down:facepalm: I'm so toasted there's no amount of coffee that could fix this:banghead: Left over night:D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom