The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

MySmallWorldof4

Phonics is breaking down words into sounds. I think what he's talking about with sentences is more the sentence diagram. We did things like "underline the prepositional phrase" or "circle the noun in blue and the verb in red".

What made grammar so much more fun was madlibs! Did anyone else do those? Where it tells a story but leaves out certain words and you ask someone for an adjective, a plural noun, an adverb, a place, and you fill those in and get really funny stories where someone goes to the chocolate factory and eats a blue hotdog on a flower pot and exclaims "Eureka!" You can play it on your phone these days.
I loved Mad Libs. My kids do them.

21stamps

Kindergarten I believe is not mandatory in New Jersey or Pennsylvania, or it wasn't 10 years ago at least. A kid does not need to be enrolled in public school until they are 6 in PA. If they are homeschooled, they don't need the yearly evaluation until they reach 8 years old. Maybe now it is different in the public schools with kindergarten since they require most kindergartners to be able to read when they finish the year. One of my other friends in NY is a public school Kindergarten teacher. She said when no child left behind started, they got rid of all the play kitchens and other toys from her class. She said Kindergarten became more like first grade at that point.

I don’t know if you remember my post on the “make up work” T received after our Disney/Key West trip in ‘15.. it was OBNOXIOUS!! Combined with football practices and regular homework, it was the worst 9 nights of his school career so far!

No joke, he had more homework in K than he has had since.

T started Geography, Math, Science, and Language Arts at age 3. I was super impressed when my 4 year old was at the Cincy Museum Center and rattled off the continents and oceans when looking at an illuminated picture of the the globe.
He had mild homework in PreK.. we had flash cards for basic single digit math and words which were sent home by the school weekly...he also brought home certain books that he had to read for language arts...
I was again impressed and proud of what he knew..
..still I was nervous for the Kindergarten test, thrilled when he got accepted.,

...and then he entered into K, and all they did was relearn everything he had already done in PreK.:hilarious:

In the end, I don’t think that PreK curriculum was necessary.

21stamps

PreK (1&2, PreK 1 was age 3, PreK2 age 4 this is when language arts became a little more intense) schedule was -

Geography
Music
Math
Art
Science
Language Arts
Spanish
Physical Education

Each one every day 5 days per week. The school day ended at 4pm, and from 4-6 was free play time. Also, each one was a separate classroom themed to the subject.. the science was a lab and was completely adorable and impressive. However, at age 3and 4 T knew the difference between an amphibian and a reptile, but 2 years later he did not.:cautious:..because they didn’t focus on that kind of stuff in Kindergarten.

I should add that the school day started at 8am, so for T and all the kids who arrived earlier, they had free time in the morning as well. They also had iPads and computers for a “technology class”, but this wasn’t every day.

Last edited:

MySmallWorldof4

It is done out of respect. Certainly, non federal businesses in the Washington, DC area may be closed for those reasons, but it is done as a show of respect, throughout the US.
By the way, I was shocked at the negative comments about a no mail delivery post on the book of face.
Did not know about negative comments, but I am not shocked, which in itself is kind of sad. I guess people are too worried about their presents arriving on time. One day is not going to make a difference. It is still early in the month.

donaldtoo

As to the cursive/signature conversation, don’t get them confused... ;)
A signature doesn’t have to be legible, as long as it’s, essentially, consistent and recognizable.

Here’s my signature from my drivers license...

FCB319AA-9E9F-422B-9521-38AB68F9D886.jpeg

While the shortened version of my first name and my middle initial may be legible to many, there is no way in heck anyone is gonna’ recognize my last name, especially since it’s an extremely uncommon one.
I’ve seen tons of signatures that are this simple...

6D8C2321-384F-4535-8F39-ADD9FF0F466A.jpeg

Now, if I had to write a letter in cursive, I still could and it would be legible...

C002E6B6-BA2D-49CE-B2AF-6235FAEA17E5.jpeg

Although, I’ve been using architectural-type block letters (see below) for the past 40+ years, and that up there is probably the most cursive I’ve written since...!!! :eek:;):)

95E9A546-DA8E-4AC7-96BF-FEB68519AD5C.jpeg

Last edited:

MySmallWorldof4

PreK (1&2, PreK 1 was age 3, PreK2 age 4 this is when language arts became a little more intense) schedule was -

Geography
Music
Math
Art
Science
Language Arts
Spanish
Physical Education

Each one every day 5 days per week. The school day ended at 4pm, and from 4-6 was free play time. Also, each one was a separate classroom themed to the subject.. the science was a lab and was completely adorable and impressive. However, at age 3and 4 T knew the difference between an amphibian and a reptile, but 2 years later he did not.:cautious:..because they didn’t focus on that kind of stuff in Kindergarten.

I should add that the school day started at 8am, so for T and all the kids who arrived earlier, they had free time in the morning as well. They also had iPads and computers for a “technology class”, but this wasn’t every day.
My 2 older ones were the only ones that did preschool. They did nothing like T. It was more for learning how to use scissors without maiming yourself or someone else. They learned the alphabet, and did coloring. Nothing schoolwork-wise until Kindergarten. You mentioned T forgot some things he had learned just a couple of years later. My now 11 yr old was actually reading words at 1. I would write words on one of those magnetic drawing boards and she would read then. I am not sure if she read the or just had memorized them. There was a tv show called Wordworld that ds watched, so she watched with him. I noticed she picked up in the words. But it wasn’t skmething I practiced with her so of course a couple of years later she couldn’t read a thing. I am not sure how much school type knowledga an infant or toddler can keep in their memory.

Cesar R M

Considering how bad Edge was.. even when they claimed how good it was and how it was a great replacement.. I am not surprised lol.
They just want to remove the stain of being "that browser used to download chrome or firefox" lol.

MySmallWorldof4

A signature doesn’t have to be legible, as long as it’s, essentially, consistent and recognizable.

View attachment 330704

While the shortened version of my first name and my middle initial may be legible to many, there is no way in heck anyone is gonna’ recognize my last name, especially since it’s an extremely uncommon one.

View attachment 330739

Now, if I had to write a letter in cursive, I still could and it would be legible...

View attachment 330740

Although, I’ve been using architectural-type block letters (see below) for the past 40+ years, and that up there is probably the most cursivev I’ve written since...!!! :eek:;):)

View attachment 330742
Mine and dh’s signature is pretty illegible as well. Here is youngest’s cursive practice from today.
652A8F56-67AC-4F18-B3B2-A5277C0D692D.jpeg

StarWarsGirl

That's scary right there. Serious question: For the non-cursive people, do they not ever "sign" their name on anything? Many legal documents require an actual signature, and I'm trying to figure out how these people get around it.
My brother cannot sign his name. It's not laziness or that he didn't learn cursive; he just literally cannot do it. Has to do with the autism. He just signs his name in print on school stuff, and that's fine.

My mom actually stopped writing in cursive on grocery lists and stuff around the house because she wanted my brother to be able to read it, and he just cannot read it. I had a friend back in middle school who was dyslexic, and cursive was just impossible for her. I remember because she could not read our science teacher's handwriting (teacher wrote in cursive). She could sign her name, but let's be honest here: for most people, isn't a signature just their first, maybe middle, and last initials, and then scribble? Yeah...

I am on the boat of cursive does not need to be heavily taught. It can be busywork a bit, but I don't think it should be graded, and I think other than signing a name, it should be optional whether or not to use it. I know I never write in cursive and haven't since middle school (apparently, when I try to write quickly in cursive, it's not, um, legible. At least according to my teachers, who had me switch to print). We have more important things to teach. Like that New Mexico is a state.

Figgy1

Premium Member

View attachment 330704

View attachment 330739

View attachment 330740

Although, I’ve been using architectural-type block letters (see below) for the past 40+ years, and that up there is probably the most cursive I’ve written since...!!! :eek:;):)

View attachment 330742
I'm glad most of our friends mostly print. Male science majors are worse than doctors. We have one friend who's writing is so bad the first company he worked for got computers just so he communicate with everybody. It was a great company with great products but they were still in the stone age

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom