Bob Chapek Confirms Disney Will Overhaul Epcot

Rodan75

Don't forget Pixar Pier, Mission Breakout, Marvel Land, Hyperspace Mountain, Pixar Fest.. All rushed garbage at the DL resort, IMO.

I thought Hyperspace Mountain pre-dated him. But the rest is definitely him. I also think some of the DCA stuff was generally a knee jerk reaction to literally having nothing on the books to change after 2.0 was opened.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

I was hating on $hapek before it was cool. He's all about advertisement and IP placement, nothing more. Thematic integrity is a thing of the past.

Though I will judge EPCOT and its direction when I visit in Jan, It'll be interesting because I didn't grow up with WDW / EPCOT, so I wont have any biases when I attend. I think $hapek's practices are atrocious on the West, I'll have to see for myself what he's done to the East.
I honestly feel bad for anyone whose first experience of Epcot will be in 2019. That said, I do hope you have a great time.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
I thought Hyperspace Mountain pre-dated him. But the rest is definitely him. I also think some of the DCA stuff was generally a knee jerk reaction to literally having nothing on the books to change after 2.0 was opened.

Hyperspace made its debut in 2015 and stayed for 2 years. Chapek came into the picture at the beginning of 2015. He probably had his hand in that cookie jar but i'm not 100% positive. I'm going off of the feelings I get when I ride a Chapek branded attraction - usually it's bad.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
I honestly feel bad for anyone whose first experience of Epcot will be in 2019. That said, I do hope you have a great time.

Thanks! I'll be sure to make a write-up about it in my trip report. Kinda disappointed I wont be able to see some of the more historical rides like Maelstrom and Ellen but i'll do my best to keep an open mind to this "new direction", especially knowing Chapek is behind the wheel.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Thanks! I'll be sure to make a write-up about it in my trip report. Kinda disappointed I wont be able to see some of the more historical rides like Maelstrom and Ellen but i'll do my best to keep an open mind to this "new direction", especially knowing Chapek is behind the wheel.
Just remember...in Chapek's mind, what the park needs is more booze and Disney characters.

capsshield

When they originally built EPCOT they made some very big mistakes which have caused the changes we now see in that park. The rides lacked memorable IP and mental or physical excitement.

Horizons and World of Motion were slow moving tours that appealed to intellect only. There was very little emotional connection to the guests at least in my opinion.

Energy destroyed the thrill of experiencing dinosaurs by putting a boring movie in front and behind the real experience the guests wanted. I rode those rides dozens of times and did enjoy them but to this day I can't say I ever emotionally bonded with any part of the rides.

I did dream of living long enough to see those futures but that's about as far as I can say I went internally. Go on name any of the characters in those original rides.

The IP could have been original ideas and not as we see IP today. For instance after riding the haunted house you remember seeing Madam Leota and the Bride and the Hitchhiking ghost, The best EPCOT had was Figment and Dreamfinder.

Then there's World Showcase a mall with a "c" ride, 3 movies (2 you have to stand for) and an "E" ticket.

They have had forty years to address this and have done almost nothing. Maelstrom now Frozen, and a Three Caballeros overlay.

The things they could have done like a Matterhorn attraction or a Pinocchio or Snow White Boat ride to fill out the park with Disney tried and true IP remain unrealized.

If they would have added a dark ride to Italy and one to Germany plus a Rollercoaster in Japan or as a new country like Switzerland and a ride in England like Poppins and a log ride in Canada the time between new additions would have been an average of 8 years and the cost would have been about 70 million a year.

No one would even be complaining about changing the park today.

lazyboy97o

Chapek is following a mandate that has been in place long before his tenure.

I highly doubt Eisner had northing to do with Martin Short in Epcot. O'Canada debuted in 2007 and Iger was named CEO of Disney in March of 2005. Eisner was still CEO through he resigned on September 30, 2005. but Iger was the true Ceo of the Walt Disney Company for 6 months already.

The Seas with Nemo & Friends is very debatable it was approved by Eisner. My reasoning is while Nemo got its start under Eisner in Epcot, he likely had nothing to do with the Living Seas closed in August of 2005. All it seemed like Eisner approved was Turtle Talk.

My reasoning is The living Seas in August of 2005 was closed for transformation to Nemo and Iger became CEO of Disney in March of 2005. It is very possible that Iger approved the transformation as a result due to when the Living Seas was closed.

Lion King did not ruin Epcot. Lion King IP was used properly in Epcot by having it as an Educational film. Ellen did not ruin Epcot due to it being tied in with Energy.
Projects are approved after concept design, we’ll before construction documentation even begins.

Last edited:

sedati

I think if I mention Space Mountain, Pirates of the Caribbean, Haunted Mansion, even the Teacups to most anyone they have an idea of what I'm talking about even if they've never visited the park. Heck, I'm surprised the number of times Mr Toad's Wild Ride gets referenced in popular culture. Fantasyland, Tomorrowland, E-Ticket have all become common terms.
Point is, these things resonated. They entered our lexicon and our culture.
I think Spaceship Earth is a recognizable icon, and I feel most people know there are "countries" at Epcot, but beyond that, what has really penetrated beyond the berm?
Did any aspect of Energy, Life, Horizons, Motion, Imagination, Land, Seas make it's way into the greater culture? Sadly, it seems when this park does get mentioned culturally, it isn't in the best way.
I do feel this is a sign that the park never resonated beyond it's core fan-base.

Imagine how this line in Jurassic Park would have gone over, "Yeah, but John, if the Universe of Energy breaks down, the dinosaurs don't eat the tourists."

Last edited:

trainplane3

I think if I mention Space Mountain, Pirates of the Caribbean, Haunted Mansion, even the Teacups or E-Tickets to most anyone they have an idea of what I'm talking about even if they've never visited the park. Heck, I'm surprised the number of times Mr Toad's Wild Ride gets referenced in popular culture.
I think Spaceship Earth is a recognizable icon, and I feel most people know there are "countries" at Epcot, but beyond that, what has really penetrated beyond the berm?
Did any aspect of Energy, Life, Horizons, Motion, Imagination, Land, Seas make it's way into the greater culture? Sadly, it seems when this park does get mentioned culturally, it isn't in the best way.
I do feel this is a sign that the park never resonated beyond it's core fan-base.

Imagine how this line in Jurassic Park would have gone over, "Yeah, but John, if the Universe of Energy breaks down, the dinosaurs don't eat the tourists."
I've heard Imagination mentioned pretty well outside the parks personally. Either by its name or "that ride with the little dragon and the catchy song". That's about it though so I won't disagree too much with you there

sedati

I've heard Imagination mentioned pretty well outside the parks personally. Either by its name or "that ride with the little dragon and the catchy song". That's about it though so I won't disagree too much with you there
I'm talking something beyond our personal lives that has premeated the culture. Heck, I think I've heard "the blue cat-people from Avatar" referenced more than our beloved Figment.

tree123

I think if I mention Space Mountain, Pirates of the Caribbean, Haunted Mansion, even the Teacups or E-Tickets to most anyone they have an idea of what I'm talking about even if they've never visited the park. Heck, I'm surprised the number of times Mr Toad's Wild Ride gets referenced in popular culture.

Imagination has been referenced quite a bit in pop culture. South Park's Imaginationland: The Movie was heavily inspired by it. Admittedly, even that is somewhat old now...

sedati

Imagination has been referenced quite a bit in pop culture. South Park's Imaginationland: The Movie was heavily inspired by it. Admittedly, even that is somewhat old now...
Thanks, I had forgotten about Imaginationland, but I'd bring up two points.
1) Trey and Matt are known to be huge Disney park fans.
2) I don't believe many viewers knew what was being parodied in that episode.

celluloid

Let me paint you a picture of what I recall about Bob Chapek being presented to be as a company person. I worked in training Travel Agents who wanted to sell Disney. In this we showed the new hires a video about different aspects of the company including on property resorts owned by DIsney, and some owned and operated by third parties. A segment of the video was about the parks' hard ticketed events, one of which being Not So Scary Halloween Party, in it Bob said "Imagine the dissapointed faces of children being asked to leave the Magic Kingdom as they see other children coming into the Magic Kingdom in costume, all because you forgot to mention it as an upgrade to their day."
It is a business, and if upcharge hard ticket events a business model they want to keep pushing so be it, but to insult your new cast by scaring or guilting them is insanely unethicaly ugly to me.

If there was ever a reason for me to leave the company, that kind of guilt trip to its own Cast Members and extended business family was near the last straw. I don't want that guy telling me they are overhauling EPCOT. Since then, I work for another Themed Entertainment Company where I have been welcome to develop and grow.

Last edited:

sedati

Let’s assume Epcot is broken because it is still too tied to EPCOT Center, how is it made more popular by following the model of less popular parks?
Ah, so a less popular park should follow its superior. Someone should have told the Studios to skip Galaxys Edge and add some food and wine festivals instead.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
... but honestly if they removed the skunk smell, it would be decent. The skunk smell, I think, takes it down a notch. Why on earth did Imagineer's of that time think awful smells were a good thing on a ride (between this and Stitch)..
You know it’s not really a skunk smell at all, right?
It’s coffee. Next time you ride, close your eyes and think “ burnt coffee beans”. Knowing that it’s coffee, I actually find it to be pleasant.

Because the pictures tell your brain to expect a whiff of “skunk”, your nose tells you, “Yup, skunk”.

Watching people's over the top reaction to the smell is probably the only reason I visit Figgy.

I read this in a guide book somewhere, but apparently it’s been on the Disboards for years.

DCC61C80-B36E-4995-A048-C3AFE662E93A.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom