News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

FigmentFan82

The one complaint I have about Mummy... too short. If this GotG ride is less than 5 minutes long, it, too, will be too short.
While supposedly being the longest indoor roller coaster to ever be built, I'm sure it'll longer than 90 seconds, but not too sure about 5 min.

lazyboy97o

While supposedly being the longest indoor roller coaster to ever be built, I'm sure it'll longer than 90 seconds, but not too sure about 5 min.
It was touted as "one of," not "the," longest indoor roller coasters in the world. Rock 'n' Roller Coaster is one of the longest indoor roller coasters in the world so its not exactly a club of giant coasters.
https://rcdb.com/r.htm?ca=114&order=-22&ot=2

matt9112

Problem is if you will, that without knowing the ride (and the family and I knew absolutely nothing about it) - it set itself up as a coaster that would be quite similar to The Mummy.
That first steep drop...
Then the pausing at screens sort of segmented the ride to watch little movies.
It was impressively done, but no one was clamoring to ride it again.

without any affiction for harry potter it can be pointless to some. i would argue both FJ and gringotts require you to know the movies and storys at least on a basic level. but than again its not like there pulling a bait and switch there.

matt9112

I’m confused why the parking-lot side of any of these buildings matters at all. I don’t consider myself onstage at that point, but clearly others do.

in DL no in WDW i would like to think they bought a massive piece of land and created there own goverment authority for some reason....but thats just me. why are the hotels themed? must be disney being nice to us.

LittleBuford

in DL no in WDW i would like to think they bought a massive piece of land and created there own goverment authority for some reason....but thats just me. why are the hotels themed? must be disney being nice to us.

Again (and there are many more posts on this matter after the one you quoted), we’re talking about a car park. No car park can be themed to look like anything other than a car park. It can be well maintained and presentable, but it will never stop looking like an uninspiring expanse of asphalt filled with cars. In such a setting, seeing the back of a show building really shouldn’t get anyone into a tizzy.

Missing20K

Again (and there are many more posts on this matter after the one you quoted), we’re talking about a car park. No car park can be themed to look like anything other than a car park. It can be well maintained and presentable, but it will never stop looking like an uninspiring expanse of asphalt filled with cars. In such a setting, seeing the back of a show building really shouldn’t get anyone into a tizzy.

Oooo, can we play a game? Car Park or Not a Car Park?

You might be surprised.
Herma-Parking-Building-1.jpg

1406348867-U30167912247VU-U501719308164qSB-624x480@La%20Verdad-LaVerdad.jpg

The only reasons they don't theme parts of buildings are due to budget concerns and they don't think anyone will notice/care. Real lack of quantifiable ROI on such matters. They have the talent, the funds (should the choose to spend) and there are obviously examples both on property and in the real world, that demonstrate there are multiple ways to make a building (whether car park, show building or otherwise) tell a story and immerse the guest in an environment.

EDIT: I just realized you are speaking about open lots, not parking garages. I will leave the post as an example of what could be done. Mods, feel free to delete if you feel necessary.

LittleBuford

Oooo, can we play a game? Car Park or Not a Car Park?

You might be surprised.
Herma-Parking-Building-1.jpg

1406348867-U30167912247VU-U501719308164qSB-624x480@La%20Verdad-LaVerdad.jpg

The only reasons they don't theme parts of buildings are due to budget concerns and they don't think anyone will notice/care. Real lack of quantifiable ROI on such matters. They have the talent, the funds (should the choose to spend) and there are obviously examples both on property and in the real world, that demonstrate there are multiple ways to make a building (whether car park, show building or otherwise) tell a story and immerse the guest in an environment.

What do you think those buildings look like on the inside? Like car parks. The only difference is that they’re contained and screened from view.

And you would honestly prefer Disney to build a series of giant multi-storey parking garages right next to each park? How is that going to improve the sight lines?

Bairstow

To a certain degree, a park has an interest in making the backside of show and logistics buildings look as uninteresting as possible on purpose in order to avoid guest confusion and to avoid having non-guest areas compete visually with park weenies or even things like the park entrance. The last thing you want to do is accidentally draw guests somewhere they're not supposed to be driving or walking.

Missing20K

What do you think those buildings look like on the inside? Like car parks. The only difference is that they’re contained and screened from view.

But done with a bit of panache, a bit of flair, a bit of creativity. The question being, I think...should buildings, whether they be car park or show buildings, be unthemed at a Disney property. You were quoted as saying this earlier in the thread:
I’m confused why the parking-lot side of any of these buildings matters at all. I don’t consider myself onstage at that point, but clearly others do.

I suppose I'm more in the opposite camp. If the CM is onstage, so am I.

And you would honestly prefer Disney to build a series of giant multi-storey parking garages right next to each park? How is that going to improve the sight lines?
I have no idea how you got the second part of your post from what I posted. I was merely showing examples of buildings that are as plain jane as a parking garage can be, from the exterior at minimum, innovative, decorative, a show stopping art piece, or a themed building in Disney's case.

Also, I was mostly just having fun. :eek:

rocketraccoon

The gravity building as of today. Panels are going higher and higher.
sKjWUTi.jpg

Still digging up stuff inside the pavilion. They do have materials waiting to be installed inside now, though.
fOgXc4o.jpg

The transition tunnel has a bit of extra metal. Notably, a ramp on the left side that's going upwards into the gravity building. Also I'm still not sure, but I think that's a piece of track on the right. It looks like one at least, with the spaced out gaps and two smaller metal bits just off of the main one.
cs0D41n.jpg

By the old exits, a big ol' beam has gone up. May be related to the supposed column that got damaged, or just part of the new queue stuff.
m7qTJYb.jpg

Out front they have some ducting waiting to be installed behind the tarp.
zcclHM0.jpg

Likewise, ducting has gone up in the gravity building itself.
RNpBXyn.jpg

And a whoooole bunch of piping layout out in the front of the pavilion.
h51dFde.jpg

And this is an old pic, but I'm fairly certain this central spine sorta thing has been demolished. You can see through to the other side now. As far as I know this should be the only column that isn't up against the exterior walls. Was this the one that got hit or something?
I9XF3bu.jpg

Even with some spaceship thing in front of it, this'll still be a nice view when it's done.
3k4IcHx.jpg

Mike S

The gravity building as of today. Panels are going higher and higher.
sKjWUTi.jpg

Still digging up stuff inside the pavilion. They do have materials waiting to be installed inside now, though.
fOgXc4o.jpg

The transition tunnel has a bit of extra metal. Notably, a ramp on the left side that's going upwards into the gravity building. Also I'm still not sure, but I think that's a piece of track on the right. It looks like one at least, with the spaced out gaps and two smaller metal bits just off of the main one.
cs0D41n.jpg

By the old exits, a big ol' beam has gone up. May be related to the supposed column that got damaged, or just part of the new queue stuff.
m7qTJYb.jpg

Out front they have some ducting waiting to be installed behind the tarp.
zcclHM0.jpg

Likewise, ducting has gone up in the gravity building itself.
RNpBXyn.jpg

And a whoooole bunch of piping layout out in the front of the pavilion.
h51dFde.jpg

And this is an old pic, but I'm fairly certain this central spine sorta thing has been demolished. You can see through to the other side now. As far as I know this should be the only column that isn't up against the exterior walls. Was this the one that got hit or something?
I9XF3bu.jpg

Even with some spaceship thing in front of it, this'll still be a nice view when it's done.
3k4IcHx.jpg
As long as the sky cooperates and is always that shade of blue this could work.

If it doesn’t, we blame the sky.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom