Rumor Pixar's Coco coming to the Mexico Pavilion

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I haven't seen anyone come out and say the money will indeed be used elsewhere (and I very much could have missed that; so much is up in the air and it's honestly hard to keep track of what they decide to do every day). So ... seems like a lot of big ideas that they just refuse to pay for. I get the ROI. But maybe if they built a great ride, people would, you know, buy the merchandise. But I understand companies are scared and risk adverse, nothing new here lol.

That’s just not good enough for a blue ocean run company with an overcompensated ceo with no line of succession and too many titles.

Not a sure thing.

britain

Perhaps this decision is partly due to how massive Disney has become over the past few decades.

While I am in favour of this project, I can imagine that it's hard to get a Coco overlay to make sense in terms of ROI calculations considering how much WDI projects cost these days. There is also probably a feeling that they have milked Coco for revenue as much as they can and are interested to milk it. Disney just has so many franchises to promote these days that they seem to pick a few winners to pound us over the heads with merchandise and theme park attractions, while letting everything else fade away. Hard to imagine a box office disappointment like Alice in Wonderland getting one let alone two attractions in the same park in 2018!

I suspect that another reason would be that exit gift shop merchandising is frequently considered to be an important way to compensate for the investment in new attractions.

Coco is not a merchandising behemoth. And it’s quite possible that in order to turn it into a merchandising behemoth, Disney would have to do some things that may be considered tacky and not appropriate considering the film’s tie to Dias de la Muertos.

Not the Disney doesn’t do tacky, inappropriate things all the time! But they had been stung by criticism from the Latino community early in Coco’s development process. Once bitten twice shy.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Great post...ROI is a big factor.

What is not a big factor is this completely outdated myth that the Disney board is itching to spend regular money on “something”. Walt is long dead...any semblance of that kinda mindset died decades ago...

So “well This isn’t happening...so does that mean ____ is?” Is a pleasant thought but doesn’t consider the more likely scenario that nothing is happening instead. Capex is for immediate gain or to try to cutoff competitive vulnerabilities. In short: universal is our biggest “friend”.

Spending money without guaranteed gain doesn’t get past go anymore. I think coco has limited ancillary Income and longterm appeal potential...and that’s why this never really seemed a reasonable possibility.

...just an opinion.
I do wonder if this has changed a little. They are building more now than in years past.. Your calculation makes sense for Galaxy's Edge and GotG coster, but does it for Ratoutillle, Tron, and the Mickey Ride?

mikejs78

Premium Member
I suspect that another reason would be that exit gift shop merchandising is frequently considered to be an important way to compensate for the investment in new attractions.

Coco is not a merchandising behemoth. And it’s quite possible that in order to turn it into a merchandising behemoth, Disney would have to do some things that may be considered tacky and not appropriate considering the film’s tie to Dias de la Muertos.

Not the Disney doesn’t do tacky, inappropriate things all the time! But they had been stung by criticism from the Latino community early in Coco’s development process. Once bitten twice shy.
Where's the gift shop for TSL? There's also no exit gift shop planned for GotG. Not sure this is the case necessarily.

bcoachable

Great post...ROI is a big factor.

What is not a big factor is this completely outdated myth that the Disney board is itching to spend regular money on “something”. Walt is long dead...any semblance of that kinda mindset died decades ago...

So “well This isn’t happening...so does that mean ____ is?” Is a pleasant thought but doesn’t consider the more likely scenario that nothing is happening instead. Capex is for immediate gain or to try to cutoff competitive vulnerabilities. In short: universal is our biggest “friend”.

Spending money without guaranteed gain doesn’t get past go anymore. I think coco has limited ancillary Income and longterm appeal potential...and that’s why this never really seemed a reasonable possibility.

...just an opinion.
And in your opinion, if, let’s say something big happens up the road a bit (like a Harry Potter something or other) would that help to loosen the purse strings a bit?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I do wonder if this has changed a little. They are building more now than in years past.. Your calculation makes sense for Galaxy's Edge and GotG coster, but does it for Ratoutillle, Tron, and the Mickey Ride?

They stagnated for a long time...normal attendance rose 20% or more since that embargo went into effect...

My guess is there internal data was convincing enough to tell them they can’t have it both ways any longer (that is near 100% likely)

The ceo is desperate to retire and needs stock bumps anyway he can get them

The decline in revenue from tv has to be compensated by parks and they can’t do that without some seed cash...

Take your pick?

And to add: great movie ride was an operational cost guzzler since day one. It’s the king of “101” if memory serves (along with American adventure and test track)...and Mickey still is swag selling king.

Low risk for high yield.

Tron and Rat are proven, high popularity clones...comparatively reasonable investment. Just like cloning soarin’...more assurance of ancillary success.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Excellent point.

To expand...you know what rumor I would believe if it popped up?

A Moana attraction. That has shown considerable merch legs...it has a bigger section in the toy isles two years later than frozen or the other properties do...and I live in NJ...where we’re known to be just a “tad” Disney crazed and spend a “tad” of money like it’s our jobs.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Excellent point.

To expand...you know what rumor I would believe if it popped up?

A Moana attraction. That has shown considerable merch legs...it has a bigger section in the toy isles two years later than frozen or the other properties do...and I live in NJ...where we’re known to be just a “tad” Disney crazed and spend a “tad” of money like it’s our jobs.
I'm really surprised there isn't a Moana attraction. I agree with you here - one anecdotal point is that this Halloween I saw a bunch of Moana costumes - and only one or two Frozen costumes. Moana didn't do as well at the box office as Frozen, but I think it has more staying power.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'm really surprised there isn't a Moana attraction. I agree with you here - one anecdotal point is that this Halloween I saw a bunch of Moana costumes - and only one or two Frozen costumes. Moana didn't do as well at the box office as Frozen, but I think it has more staying power.

I think it’s the first disney movie that resonated on the “browning” of demographics in the US and Western Europe that is documented and will continue.

They didn’t manage it with princess and the frog...they got it this time. Assist to Lin Manuel Miranda.

disneylandmagic

The 3 Cabaalleros ride is not so attractive. This attraction needs some updates. Not necessary a "Coco Ride" but some improvements with a Coco overlay could be great. This is the best Disney Pixar of all times in Mexico and it pays tribute to a very important part of the Mexican culture. Nothing more logical... I keep thinking that something will happen with Coco and the Gran Fiesta Tour attraction. Epcot needs more popular IPs especially the World Showcase just like they did with Frozen and the future Ratatouille ride. So i think Mary Poppins or Coco are logical there.

JustInTime

That makes...no sense. If attractions are all about the gift shop, yet the gift shop was cut... 🤔
The location was cut and moved. They just shoehorned it elsewhere and cast members direct people there. Listen, Disney doesn’t often make a lot of sense these days. Like the outdoor TSL meet and greets. They are pathetic and cause major clusters throughout the land and the actors are incredibly exposed to the heat.

But anyway, it’s true. It’s all about the money. They care about money so much that they didn’t want to spend money to make money. It was cost efficient to just cram it into an existing space that’s not even in the land. If that doesn’t show the importance of the bottom line, nothing does.

Last edited:

mikejs78

Premium Member
The location was cut and moved. They just shoehorned it elsewhere and cast members direct people there. Listen, Disney doesn’t often make a lot of sense these days. Like the outdoor TSL meet and greets. They are pathetic and cause major clusters throughout the land and the actors are incredibly exposed to the heat.

But anyway, it’s true. It’s all about the money. They care about money so much that they didn’t want to spend money to make money. It was cost efficient to just cram it into an existing space that’s not even in the land. If that doesn’t show the importance of the bottom line, nothing does.
So all new attractions must have a gift shop because it's all about the money, but the TSL attractions don't have a gift shop because it's all about money. Got it. :banghead:

Kman101

They stagnated for a long time...normal attendance rose 20% or more since that embargo went into effect...

My guess is there internal data was convincing enough to tell them they can’t have it both ways any longer (that is near 100% likely)

The ceo is desperate to retire and needs stock bumps anyway he can get them

The decline in revenue from tv has to be compensated by parks and they can’t do that without some seed cash...

Take your pick?

And to add: great movie ride was an operational cost guzzler since day one. It’s the king of “101” if memory serves (along with American adventure and test track)...and Mickey still is swag selling king.

Low risk for high yield.

Tron and Rat are proven, high popularity clones...comparatively reasonable investment. Just like cloning soarin’...more assurance of ancillary success.

What's interesting is they take some risks everywhere but the US parks ... (obviously Paris is a mixed stagnated bag, HK and Tokyo have different factors involved and Shanghai had to wow so I guess they may not take as many, but it still feels a lot like local management; I'm just curious who decides who gets what and where and why ... I'm so curious about the process but no one really explains it.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
What's interesting is they take some risks everywhere but the US parks ... (obviously Paris is a mixed stagnated bag, HK and Tokyo have different factors involved and Shanghai had to wow so I guess they may not take as many, but it still feels a lot like local management; I'm just curious who decides who gets what and where and why ... I'm so curious about the process but no one really explains it.

Because they don’t own/run those parks...

You’re joking right?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom