Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway - Disneyland

GiveMeTheMusic

Original Poster
I thought they would announce the firework show.

The TV special was filmed weeks ago in front of a live audience. If they had announced anything we would have known about it then.

There will be some announcements made at Destination D, but I have not been able to confirm if DL’s MMRR will be part of it. The ride is also now slated for Paris.

shortstop

The TV special was filmed weeks ago in front of a live audience. If they had announced anything we would have known about it then.

There will be some announcements made at Destination D, but I have not been able to confirm if DL’s MMRR will be part of it. The ride is also now slated for Paris.
How sad that DHS had to lose GMR for a ride that is now slated to be cloned in two other locations...

mickEblu

Blame Michael Eisner. Due to the high success of Who Framed Roger Rabbit he wanted Mickey's Toontown in Disneyland to emulate precisely how it was portrayed in the film. To get a better understanding on why Mickey's Toontown is the way it is I recommend this wonderful article, specifically the first quarter of the passage in regards to the topic at hand, Passport to Dreams: Lightning in a Bottle? Storybook Circus.

Oh cool I’ll definitely check it out. Thanks.

SuddenStorm

Today's Disney is all about putting the same things in as many parks as possible to save on money, whether or not it makes sense.

The Disney of yesteryear would rethink attractions to have them fit better in each respective park.

For example, each iteration of Big Thunder and Splash Mountain are stylistically very different.

It's a shame that today's Disney believes copy/pasting attractions, and in some cases, entire lands regardless of whether or not it makes sense.

Phroobar

I will never understand why TDA does not request WDI to design lands and attractions that utilize the land better.

I still think that they wasted lots of opportunities to add in house backstage facilities in some of the last large projects. Carsland mountain range has areas which i think would have made great places for in house facilities.

The most recent addition that has areas that could have been used for backstage infrastructure is SWGE. I still believe that the huge mounds of soil that were placed for the railroad track between the Frontierland entrance and Fantasyland entrance could have been replaced with a building. They could have done the same thing they did for the Fantasmic show building. There is plenty of room there for a building that could have been turned into an eatery or for just backstage use.
It cost more money to do things like that. Disney can't possibility afford it.

BrianLo

The Disney of yesteryear would rethink attractions to have them fit better in each respective park.

For example, each iteration of Big Thunder and Splash Mountain are stylistically very different.

It's a shame that today's Disney believes copy/pasting attractions, and in some cases, entire lands regardless of whether or not it makes sense.

I mean, don’t they still technically do this?

TSMM/Soaring are each very different installations, even if the contents are the same. Very little things they have done are truly 1:1 copies.

The problem seems to be mostly born out in Florida.

Robbiem

Today's Disney is all about putting the same things in as many parks as possible to save on money, whether or not it makes sense. Why is the DCA Storytellers statue in Tokyo DisneySea?

I agree about modern Disney cloning everything. I think its a wasted opportunity to make unique parks and resorts but its been going on since Magic Kingdom kept the same fantasyland dark rides as Disneyland and added pirates rather than western river.

As for Tokyo Im pretty sure Disney gives copies of its statues to the oriental land corp as gifts every so often. As well as storytellers there is a copy of theMK Roy Disney statue at the entrance to Tokyo Disneyland and a copy of the sailor mickey statue from the cruise ships in the cape cod part of diseysea

VJ

As for Tokyo Im pretty sure Disney gives copies of its statues to the oriental land corp as gifts every so often. As well as storytellers there is a copy of theMK Roy Disney statue at the entrance to Tokyo Disneyland and a copy of the sailor mickey statue from the cruise ships in the cape cod part of diseysea
I didn't know that, actually! Very interesting.

BrianLo

I don’t know what’s worse frankly, Disney owning DLRP and turning it into the clone fest or the thing limping along on life support... probably the latter.

I still see WDW as ‘the real problem’ though. The co-owned Asian parks are all pushing aggressively for diferentiation (a good thing). OLC is so fed up that they don’t want to pay for other resorts projects, that they want everything developed custom for them (also a good thing). DLR still seems to mostly have their projects custom or at least designed for the park.

It’s WDW that is opening a crap ton of things... and almost none of them are unique. SW:GE lifted from DL, Tron lifted from Shanghai, Ratatouille lifted from Paris... maybe I’m just so annoyed with that mentality that I’m turned to bemusement the one thing DHS was getting to ‘catch up’ - DL is now also going to get.

But as much as I hate duplicated projects, at least a Mickey ride feels appropriate to enter more than one resort.

Ratatouille really irks me though. Not because it’s amazing, but it was the one thing WDSP had a claim to. Tron less so as Shanghai has quite a few other signature attractions.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I don’t know what’s worse frankly, Disney owning DLRP and turning it into the clone fest or the thing limping along on life support... probably the latter.

I still see WDW as ‘the real problem’ though. The co-owned Asian parks are all pushing aggressively for diferentiation (a good thing). OLC is so fed up that they don’t want to pay for other resorts projects, that they want everything developed custom for them (also a good thing). DLR still seems to mostly have their projects custom or at least designed for the park.

It’s WDW that is opening a crap ton of things... and almost none of them are unique. SW:GE lifted from DL, Tron lifted from Shanghai, Ratatouille lifted from Paris... maybe I’m just so annoyed with that mentality that I’m turned to bemusement the one thing DHS was getting to ‘catch up’ - DL is now also going to get.

But as much as I hate duplicated projects, at least a Mickey ride feels appropriate to enter more than one resort.

Ratatouille really irks me though. Not because it’s amazing, but it was the one thing WDSP had a claim to. Tron less so as Shanghai has quite a few other signature attractions.

And let's not forget GotG which as I understand it is basically just a clone of what Avengers was suppose to be in DCA.

BrianLo

And let's not forget GotG which as I understand it is basically just a clone of what Avengers was suppose to be in DCA.

That’s the only thing I’m looking forward to as ‘unique’ now. I don’t think the DCA concept will be totally the same, if nothing other than room.

Although to be fair I am looking forward to Runnaway Railway, it’s technically WDW’s.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
That’s the only thing I’m looking forward to as ‘unique’ now. I don’t think the DCA concept will be totally the same, if nothing other than room.

Although to be fair I am looking forward to Runnaway Railway, it’s technically WDW’s.

Well since the DCA version appears to have been scraped so they can build it with better capacity, I'd say yeah its now completely unique. All I meant was that TDO basically just took Avengers coaster and used the GotG theme on it.

As for Mickey, WDW can claim to have the first Mickey attraction in the world. It might not be unique anymore in a couple years, but at least they can claim to be the first.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom