News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

Maeryk

Yeah, I think it's possible that Disney is underestimating the hunger for optimism about the future. People are pretty depressed right now regarding the future of the country and the world. I think it's why my son really ate up the Energy attraction and Living with the Land. He came out talking about ideas he had for how we could address the challenges facing us. (The answer, by the way, is magnets.) This could have been Epcot 2.0 -- updating these rides to provide hope and ideas in the current (depressing) climate.

And we don't know they won't. Had I proposed to you a new IP teaching people about energy using alex trebek, a talk show host, and a physical engineer in a lab coat, with some animatronics thrown in, you'd probably have laughed. And yet, it kinda worked.

Magenta Panther

James Gunn has never made a movie that one thousand other directors couldn't make. He's far from an auteur. Disney lost nothing, the man's no Alejandro Jodorowsky.

Thank you. I really don't get all these rabid fanboys' devotion to some guy who directed movies about a talking raccoon and barely-talking tree. They act like he's freaking Orson Wells or Stanley Kubrick or something. And then they make excuses for the horrible unfunny tweets that cretin posted. ANYBODY who thinks that stuff is funny has serious, serious issues, and anybody who can't understand why a family-friendly company like Disney couldn't continue to work with the guy is unbelievably oblivious. As for Warners, I think it's desperate to somehow get at least some segment of the superhero-addicted audience to care about DC movies again after all its recent box-office debacles. A very cynical move if you ask me.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
And we don't know they won't. Had I proposed to you a new IP teaching people about energy using alex trebek, a talk show host, and a physical engineer in a lab coat, with some animatronics thrown in, you'd probably have laughed. And yet, it kinda worked.

To quibble, in 1996, Ellen Degeneres was a comedian turned sitcom star, not a talk show host yet. She came out on her show a year later.

Last edited:

geekza

But at least he knew better than to shove IPs into it that don't belong.
Well... he definitely started Epcot down that path.

Circle_of_Life_-_An_Environmental_Fable.jpg

MagicJack78

Thank you. I really don't get all these rabid fanboys' devotion to some guy who directed movies about a talking raccoon and barely-talking tree. They act like he's freaking Orson Wells or Stanley Kubrick or something. And then they make excuses for the horrible unfunny tweets that cretin posted. ANYBODY who thinks that stuff is funny has serious, serious issues, and anybody who can't understand why a family-friendly company like Disney couldn't continue to work with the guy is unbelievably oblivious. As for Warners, I think it's desperate to somehow get at least some segment of the superhero-addicted audience to care about DC movies again after all its recent box-office debacles. A very cynical move if you ask me.

Three simple facts.

- 1.6 Billion in revenue over two films!
- Critically acclaimed by critics and audiences. I happen to be one of them.
- My opinions and your opinions are not facts. Others are allowed to agree and disagree with them and they do. That is okay.

build_it

I think that it was an interesting idea and has some really nice parts, but still feels kind of cold and barren. It's not a bad attraction, but for all the money and time spent on it, they never seemed to be able to get it to be something special. I'll take Test Track over something like GotG any day, though.
It laid some nice ground work for the Cars ride in California!

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Call me old school but Marvel makes me gag a little. I'm not saying my opinion is right or wrong but I always thought of Marvel attractions as Six Flags amatur hour type attractions and at least when I was a kid there was a clear distinction of what was Classic Disney and what Marvel was, a rollercoaster with a mention of the Marvel movie. Its a shame that Disney and Marvel are now married.

GlacierGlacier

Call me old school but Marvel makes me gag a little. I'm not saying my opinion is right or wrong but I always thought of Marvel attractions as Six Flags amatur hour type attractions and at least when I was a kid there was a clear distinction of what was Classic Disney and what Marvel was, a rollercoaster with a mention of the Marvel movie. Its a shame that Disney and Marvel are now married.
That's thanks to Six Flags's wonderful "themeing." How many Batman coasters are there right now?

Regardless, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with this attraction, especially themeing-wise. Mission:Breakout took what, 6 months to install? The themeing in that attraction is truly worthy of holding a place in a Disney park. I can't wait to see what they put together with an attraction of scale - both in square footage and magnitude.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
It's not Marvel -- it's Universal IOA. Universal IOA did what Universal IOA does -- take standard amusement park rides and slap a personality on them.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
That's thanks to Six Flags's wonderful "themeing." How many Batman coasters are there right now?

Regardless, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with this attraction, especially themeing-wise. Mission:Breakout took what, 6 months to install? The themeing in that attraction is truly worthy of holding a place in a Disney park. I can't wait to see what they put together with an attraction of scale - both in square footage and magnitude.

I hope so, but the old man cromugin in me is just depressed about why this was introduced to Epcot in the first place. I'm sure it will be a fine attraction but i'm an omnimover man, so I probably won't be frequenting this one very much.

Mike S

Have you never ridden Spider-Man at Universal...?

FigmentFan82

If you're not a comic-book movie fan that's totally fine, and you have every right to your opinions and what you enjoy and don't, but this is a very uninformed synopsis of the entire situation. And just based on what you said I can tell there's no changing your mind. Gunn came up with Troma Films, a company that prides itself in pushing boundries. We are living in a very very different cultural time right now. Gunn apologized in 2012 for his tweets as he has stated that as he's gotten older he's changed his general outlook on life and how he views his art for the better. I doubt there is anyone who can say there isn't something they've done or said in the past that they're ashamed of. His tweets being brought up again was a direct far-right attack because Gunn has been very anti-trump. The person responsible for bringing up Gunn's tweets is a truly dispicable person who has had abuse charges leveled against him amongst other things. Gunn doesn't, nor has Gunn done anything outside of tweeting distasteful jokes in terms of real world actions that would directly harm another human being. Disney has every right to hire and fire whoever they want, but the large public outcry against his firing is extremely warranted in this situation. Will it change anything? No. Gunn's new job at WB, and the countless other offers he's been getting is a direct result of the rest of the industry recognizing that he got a raw deal. You don't have to like it, but I'm here sharing real truths on the matter as well to make sure people have more of the facts than simply "he made distasteful jokes on twitter, shame on him" Millions of people have enjoyed GotG, it really doesn't matter if you don't. But I genuinely believe the franchise was better with him, not without.

Mike S

Several times, and I love it and Uni as a whole but to me, Disney doesn't need to be Uni and vice versa,
When you say something like this
I think you can understand my confusion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom