News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

geekza

I think what inadvertently killed Future World was EuroDisney. It cost so much money and was initially such a huge flop that there wasn't money to put into keeping the other parks up-to-date for years. By the time that there was money, late-stage Eisner was in full effect and we started getting less-than-stellar (pardon the pun) attractions like Test Track and Mission: Space. Again, the older attractions were either left to moulder or, in the case of Imagination, ruined. Then came 9/11. Then Iger came in and the era of not giving a damn about the parks other than them being a place to shove IP into any nook and cranny began.

tparris

I think what inadvertently killed Future World was EuroDisney. It cost so much money and was initially such a huge flop that there wasn't money to put into keeping the other parks up-to-date for years. By the time that there was money, late-stage Eisner was in full effect and we started getting less-than-stellar (pardon the pun) attractions like Test Track and Mission: Space. Again, the older attractions were either left to moulder or, in the case of Imagination, ruined. Then came 9/11. Then Iger came in and the era of not giving a damn about the parks other than them being a place to shove IP into any nook and cranny began.
I will say aside from the fact that it replaced WoM, I personally think TT is one of the better rides Disney has made since the fall of EPCOT Center. At least it's original as well.

geekza

I will say aside from the fact that it replaced WoM, I personally think TT is one of the better rides Disney has made since the fall of EPCOT Center. At least it's original as well.
I think that it was an interesting idea and has some really nice parts, but still feels kind of cold and barren. It's not a bad attraction, but for all the money and time spent on it, they never seemed to be able to get it to be something special. I'll take Test Track over something like GotG any day, though.

lazyboy97o

Michael does not nor has ever understood EPCOT Center. That’s what killed it.

rle4lunch

I think that it was an interesting idea and has some really nice parts, but still feels kind of cold and barren. It's not a bad attraction, but for all the money and time spent on it, they never seemed to be able to get it to be something special. I'll take Test Track over something like GotG any day, though.

It's definitely missing *something*... we ve come to not make it fp worthy. Maybe our Spring trip next year I'll take my 4 year old on it. He'll probably get a kick out if it.

trainplane3

At the very least, I think TT brings some amount of imagination with it. Sure it isn't anything super deep but it gives you a simple yet cool overview on car design (in the regular queue) and then lets you design your own car. Ya...your car doesn't have an impact on the ride but it certainly brings more imagination and thought then the literal Imagination pavilion does. The post-show area is fun and I still find myself doing it with my friends on every trip.

I still think Tron Track lacks a lot on the ride, mainly the first half right up through the old "cool"/"hot" rooms. There's a lot of black walls with nothing going on. But it still brings some amount of imagination and wonder with it that current Epcot lacks.

M:S is basically "Welcome to training, we're going to stick you in a box and then you space now k?". Not a lot of build up but the new preshow video does a slightly better job of explaining astronaut training then the old one. The Seas still carries the message of "don't screw up the oceans, alright?" but with Nemo stuck into it. The Land is still decent but I'm not sure what flying around the world has to do with growing plants and a replacement for the old Lion King movie would be nice.

JJJ

There is a lot LOT more red tape.
Can you expand on where this red tape comes from? Since Universal and Disney are so close together, it doesn't seem to be related to getting permits and other things approved. Is it that upper management (like Bob Iger level) keeps a closer tab on the parks than Universal/Comcast does? Or is it something else that's self-imposed?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Can you expand on where this red tape comes from? Since Universal and Disney are so close together, it doesn't seem to be related to getting permits and other things approved. Is it that upper management (like Bob Iger level) keeps a closer tab on the parks than Universal/Comcast does? Or is it something else that's self-imposed?
Different methods of achieving what needs to be done.

montyz81

What’s killing Epcot today is the need to battle Uni at their game which is to say.. Disney doesn’t need to be the best , the most innovative, or the bench mark for innovation and quality. They just need to be slightly better then good enough. No offense to the millennials reading this, but good enough is usually more then enough for millennials because they can get the rest on the video screen in their pocket. And, millennials are who Disney is hoping will come to spend money for the next 30 years,ie their new target market.

tparris

What’s killing Epcot today is the need to battle Uni at their game which is to say.. Disney doesn’t need to be the best , the most innovative, or the bench mark for innovation and quality. They just need to be slightly better then good enough. No offense to the millennials reading this, but good enough is usually more then enough for millennials because they can get the rest on the video screen in their pocket. And, millennials are who Disney is hoping will come to spend money for the next 30 years,ie their new target market.
I agree. That doesn't apply to everybody of that age though. I'm 16 and I would sell my soul to be able to experience EPCOT Center.

Jenny72

Yeah, I think it's possible that Disney is underestimating the hunger for optimism about the future. People are pretty depressed right now regarding the future of the country and the world. I think it's why my son really ate up the Energy attraction and Living with the Land. He came out talking about ideas he had for how we could address the challenges facing us. (The answer, by the way, is magnets.) This could have been Epcot 2.0 -- updating these rides to provide hope and ideas in the current (depressing) climate.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom