News Disney to launch new Vacation Planning site to help guests with date-based tickets

nickys

Premium Member
OK, you've updated your ticketing software to something unnecessarily complicated. Now that that's out of the way, can you fix My Disney Experience so that guests can once again connect with other guests? You should be able to connect with people through shared contacts but that hasn't worked for months.

Hahahahahaha! :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

You don’t want much, do you? Good luck with that one. ;)

Rich Brownn

I don't know why anyone thinks that a public accommodation that is highly sought after and could easily be overrun by huge mobs of people crowding counters, queues, and restaurants wouldn't have systems in place to control the crowd.

You want to get a burger at McDonald's? Just drive to any one. Since they specialize in fast food, they have more locations and higher output than can be overwhelmed by demand. You want to eat at the best restaurant in New York City, however, or see the most popular Broadway play? You had better plan more than 6 months in advance, or, be prepared to pay a huge premium for more instant access. Or, keep showing up and being turned away.

It's the law of supply and demand. Disney didn't invent market forces, but has to manage it.

None of you really wants a world where Disney tickets are $10 a day and APs are $150 a year and there are no ADRs or Fastpasses or buying tickets online. You'd show up to a full parking lot. And if you get in, you'd have hours long lines at the ticketing booths. And hours long line for all the 'mountain' rides. And hours long line for any sit-down restaurant.

Disney isn't the enemy. It's everyone else wanting to go to Disney and competing with you for service -- they're your enemy for quick and easy service. Disney tries to democratize the process with online first-come-first-serve reservations, which is a heck of a lot better than that happening in person in huge mobs in the Florida heat. It's a system that is inherently complicated because managing millions of guests is inherently complicated if you don't want throngs of people at the gates and lines constantly at the risk of trampling people to death (cf. Black Friday and first-come stadium events).
Let's use your Broadway analogy and combine it with how Disney now works. You wanna see "Hamilton" - we have seats for $100,$150, $200 and $700 depending on when and where. But if you add another show the per-show seats go to $85,$100,%150,aand $500. If you add two more shows the pre-show seats are $75,$95 and $300. But only if you choose Hamilton as your first show on selected dates. On other dates your discount might be more or less. And if you do Hamilton as an add on, orices change. Also you must select your seat 90 days in advance, and if you're planning on drinks or food from the concession stand, you have to select that 60 days in advance. Oh, and even if you have tickets, shows may fill to capacity anyways, and you may have to select an alternate show when you arrive. Not confusing at all :D

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Let's use your Broadway analogy and combine it with how Disney now works. You wanna see "Hamilton" - we have seats for $100,$150, $200 and $700 depending on when and where. But if you add another show the per-show seats go to $85,$100,%150,aand $500. If you add two more shows the pre-show seats are $75,$95 and $300. But only if you choose Hamilton as your first show on selected dates. On other dates your discount might be more or less. And if you do Hamilton as an add on, orices change. Also you must select your seat 90 days in advance, and if you're planning on drinks or food from the concession stand, you have to select that 60 days in advance. Oh, and even if you have tickets, shows may fill to capacity anyways, and you may have to select an alternate show when you arrive. Not confusing at all :D

Well, Disney did make surge pricing for Broadway tickets an industry standard...

Naplesgolfer

I don't know why anyone thinks that a public accommodation that is highly sought after and could easily be overrun by huge mobs of people crowding counters, queues, and restaurants wouldn't have systems in place to control the crowd.

You want to get a burger at McDonald's? Just drive to any one. Since they specialize in fast food, they have more locations and higher output than can be overwhelmed by demand. You want to eat at the best restaurant in New York City, however, or see the most popular Broadway play? You had better plan more than 6 months in advance, or, be prepared to pay a huge premium for more instant access. Or, keep showing up and being turned away.

It's the law of supply and demand. Disney didn't invent market forces, but has to manage it.

None of you really wants a world where Disney tickets are $10 a day and APs are $150 a year and there are no ADRs or Fastpasses or buying tickets online. You'd show up to a full parking lot. And if you get in, you'd have hours long lines at the ticketing booths. And hours long line for all the 'mountain' rides. And hours long line for any sit-down restaurant.

Disney isn't the enemy. It's everyone else wanting to go to Disney and competing with you for service -- they're your enemy for quick and easy service. Disney tries to democratize the process with online first-come-first-serve reservations, which is a heck of a lot better than that happening in person in huge mobs in the Florida heat. It's a system that is inherently complicated because managing millions of guests is inherently complicated if you don't want throngs of people at the gates and lines constantly at the risk of trampling people to death (cf. Black Friday and first-come stadium events).

This is the best post on this subject I have yet read. Kudo's to you Sir!

Delgado

I can understand the theory behind date based pricing, even though I find it highly unlikely that a few dollars difference in pricing will sway anyone into changing the dates of their trip. Thus the "goal of spreading out crowds" seems like a weak justification for pricing increases. However, the biggest concern for me is the time limitations placed on the tickets. My family often takes a 2 week trip to Orlando each year and we often do 4-5 days in Disney. We loved the flexibility of being able to pick those days from the 2 weeks based on weather/mood/etc. However, now we would have to pick a specific date up front and jam our Disney days all in to a week's time. Or else pay a premium. THIS is the real issue to someone like me.
Completely agree with you. We do the same. But with the way the increases are for parking, tickets, and food coupled with the reduction in entertainment. It’s finally to the point we decided Disney once a year instead of 3 or 4.

RSoxNo1

The price point is less of an issue for me than the need to unnecessarily complicate things. They are adding gradients of planning multiple times per year and your average guest, regardless of affordability can't help but be confused.

How much does a 10 day ticket cost? There are now 27 different answers to that question for adults and 27 different answers for kids. Then when you decide on your ticket and hotel you get to make dining reservations 180 days in advance, but somehow when you go in 180 days in advance there's nothing available. Well you needed to look 189 days in advance. Don't worry though, you won't make the same mistake when you can book Fastpasses 60+9 days. But wait, I can't pick any 3 attractions? I can pick 1 from this group and 2 from this group? OK now at the Animal Kingdom I can pick 1 from this group and 2 from this group or 3 from this group?

Business writing has taught me to break up things like the preceding paragraph to make it less confusing but I deliberately left it as a block of text because that's what Disney is now. It's unnecessarily complicated and confusing. Keep it simple, create a quality product and charge for it. Stop hiring people that don't plan vacations or set foot in a park to show off their book learning and put their stamp on the process.

Last edited:

Po'Rich

I've been playing with the new ticketing system. Using my recently bought 8 day tickets for a family of 4 as a guide, I wanted to see if there were any dates where I would have benefited by holding off my purchase. What I found was that there are only two weeks (at the end of January) where I would have paid roughly the same. For all other weeks, the price increased--in most places, the increase is significant.

If this was just about trying to spread out crowds, then I would expect for there to be some weeks where the price would have decreased as a way to encourage people to visit during those times. Instead, this is simply another price gouge hidden in a convoluted system.

Jon81uk

Then when you decide on your ticket and hotel you get to make dining reservations 180 days in advance, but somehow when you go in 180 days in advance there's nothing available. Well you needed to look 189 days in advance

Only if you want Cinderella's Table or other similar high-demand venues. I've found the best reservation times for food at any point during that six months.

Too many people think I have to book at six months so I will get four reservations a day and cancel the ones I don't need, meaning as cancellations come up there are more options later on. If people stopped promoting the fact you must have these dinner reservations, it would get easier for everyone.

Patcheslee

Just to give own personal effect of ticket increases. If I was to book the same June 14th-23rd package I already have a deposit on it would be a $`119.5 increase for the 10 day tickets, 3 adults, hopper+WP. Glad I booked a few months ago, but between this, and the TS increases booking after this trip starting to feel negative to me. Maybe I'm just hyperaware of increases that if I didn't research wouldn't sting as much.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
If this was just about trying to spread out crowds, then I would expect for there to be some weeks where the price would have decreased as a way to encourage people to visit during those times. Instead, this is simply another price gouge hidden in a convoluted system.
There are a limited number of dates where the price went down fractionally. But you are right, it's not about spreading out crowds. It's about $$$. This is just the opening salvo. Get people used to date based ticketing, then in a few months, roll out the annual price increase and nail those suckers guests to the wall.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
There are a limited number of dates where the price went down fractionally. But you are right, it's not about spreading out crowds. It's about $$$. This is just the opening salvo. Get people used to date based ticketing, then in a few months, roll out the annual price increase and nail those suckers guests to the wall.

IF YOU DON'T ENJOY GIVING ALL OF YOUR MONEY TO DISNEY, SIMPLY DON'T GO!

:hilarious:o_O

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
You're right, it's so simple, can't believe I didn't think of that before.

:hilarious:

Need a bored at home type to remind me of these things.

I know, right? I'm not sure how any of us would survive a week without such helpful advice from Disney fans. Would we drown because they didn't tell us we can't breathe under water? Would we starve because they didn't tell us we can find food without ADRs? Thank goodness we don't have to find out.

Thanks Disney fans!

:hilarious:

RSoxNo1

Only if you want Cinderella's Table or other similar high-demand venues. I've found the best reservation times for food at any point during that six months.

Too many people think I have to book at six months so I will get four reservations a day and cancel the ones I don't need, meaning as cancellations come up there are more options later on. If people stopped promoting the fact you must have these dinner reservations, it would get easier for everyone.
Try booking with multiple families now. Outside of quick service restaurants it's next to impossible. The over planning is especially discouraging to large groups.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Just to give own personal effect of ticket increases. If I was to book the same June 14th-23rd package I already have a deposit on it would be a $`119.5 increase for the 10 day tickets, 3 adults, hopper+WP. Glad I booked a few months ago, but between this, and the TS increases booking after this trip starting to feel negative to me. Maybe I'm just hyperaware of increases that if I didn't research wouldn't sting as much.
Driving? Don't forget the resort parking per night...

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Query - Anyone else having BM scheduling issues during peak season? I want a stall between 9:30 and 10 AM near Discovery Island, but the only one I can book is in Future World at 11:15. Don't really want to park hop for that. I could go back to the room, but was hopeful there were some hidden toilets I could access just for convenience. Regardless, my heart overflows with magic. Forgot - the day in question is 12/30.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Try booking with multiple families now. Outside of quick service restaurants it's next to impossible. The over planning is especially discouraging to large groups.

I've had issues with this already. If I'm hanging out with my parents not at Disney, my dad is incredibly sarcastic. "Did you already book us dinner at 4:15 or can we eat where ever we want at a reasonable time?" We used to live down there and have been going since 1972, so my parents have never adjusted to the new reality.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Query - Anyone else having BM scheduling issues during peak season? I want a stall between 9:30 and 10 AM near Discovery Island, but the only one I can book is in Future World at 11:15. Don't really want to park hop for that. I could go back to the room, but was hopeful there were some hidden toilets I could access just for convenience. Regardless, my heart overflows with magic. Forgot - the day in question is 12/30.
In an emergency, you can substitute any dark ride.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
True, but ride length is getting shorter and shorter. *sigh* A good old bucket and those giant UoE bench seats were quite the life saver.
The best option is Dinosaur -- you can always claim that the carnosaur "scared the carp out of me."

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom