News Disney to launch new Vacation Planning site to help guests with date-based tickets

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I don't know why anyone thinks that a public accommodation that is highly sought after and could easily be overrun by huge mobs of people crowding counters, queues, and restaurants wouldn't have systems in place to control the crowd.

You want to get a burger at McDonald's? Just drive to any one. Since they specialize in fast food, they have more locations and higher output than can be overwhelmed by demand. You want to eat at the best restaurant in New York City, however, or see the most popular Broadway play? You had better plan more than 6 months in advance, or, be prepared to pay a huge premium for more instant access. Or, keep showing up and being turned away.

It's the law of supply and demand. Disney didn't invent market forces, but has to manage it.

None of you really wants a world where Disney tickets are $10 a day and APs are $150 a year and there are no ADRs or Fastpasses or buying tickets online. You'd show up to a full parking lot. And if you get in, you'd have hours long lines at the ticketing booths. And hours long line for all the 'mountain' rides. And hours long line for any sit-down restaurant.

Disney isn't the enemy. It's everyone else wanting to go to Disney and competing with you for service -- they're your enemy for quick and easy service. Disney tries to democratize the process with online first-come-first-serve reservations, which is a heck of a lot better than that happening in person in huge mobs in the Florida heat. It's a system that is inherently complicated because managing millions of guests is inherently complicated if you don't want throngs of people at the gates and lines constantly at the risk of trampling people to death (cf. Black Friday and first-come stadium events).

nickys

Premium Member
Which ones went down? I was trying to figure that out as the headline states it but I can't find any that went down - all the ones listed went up.

I did see someone who’s tickets for a January trip went down. And also a 6 day ticket for May sometime .... But it’s not like you’re going to just “find” an example, because there are so many variables.

AEfx

I did see someone who’s tickets for a January trip went down. And also a 6 day ticket for May sometime .... But it’s not like you’re going to just “find” an example, because there are so many variables.

Ah, we were specifically talking about the AP prices. The original link from the article led to this discussion thread - it has since moved to a dedicated thread, hence the confusion.

Andrew M

Universal Hollywood is generally a one-day thing.

This just further adds complexity over an already complex system, IMO. You basically need a PhD in Disney to master making dining reservations, fastpasses, etc. and now to buy tickets.

It may not be crazy to us, but think of that person who has never been to WDW before and is trying to navigate all this - when they are asking so much money for all this, and your trip can be made or broken before you even arrive based on how you plan - yeah, I think it is all just getting to be way too much.

This. This is the main problem out there for people who haven't been as an adult and now want to take their kids for the first time. A friend of ours is taking his family for the first time. They let a family travel agent friend book all the restaurants and it was a disaster. Meals in hotels all the way across property when they were going to be in the parks, meals in parks on off days. They would have been completely miserable had they showed up and had to follow that schedule.

Unfortunately I'm sure it happens far too often, and especially at today's prices you could easily be blowing way more than a whole month's income on a miserable vacation.

RSoxNo1

Now everyone is in England...
DisneyUK.jpg

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Looks like Undercover Tourist and other resellers still have the old tickets available for sale. Does anyone have any insight on this?

This was from a couple of days ago
I hear Disney will allow 3rd party ticket wholesalers to sell the old Magic Your Way tickets through late October, roughly a couple of weeks after the Oct 16 launch. As of today, I don't know one vendor who's got a working system for new tix.

DisneyOutsider

"Compared to previous pricing, some tickets have decreased, increased or stayed the same, depending on the start date and length of the ticket. For example, a 6-Day Ticket starting November 22 2018 will now cost $5 more per day than in 2017. A 1-Day Ticket for December 25 2018 will cost the same as 2017. A 3-Day Ticket starting February 10 2019 will cost $4 less per day than in 2018."

I remember everybody bashing me for suggesting this exact thing.

Been really interested and waiting for this release. I was skeptical (though I'd say my skepticism stopped short of bashing), but you were right. Some slower dates went down, busier times went up.

Slov72

I took a look at prices for next Oct-Dec to see if there were any clues to SWGE opening dates but didn't see any obvious hike in prices around any specific dates....do you think this can change in the future or are the prices somewhat setting moving forward? Do you think once the opening date is announced that they will hike the prices?

AEfx

I took a look at prices for next Oct-Dec to see if there were any clues to SWGE opening dates but didn't see any obvious hike in prices around any specific dates....do you think this can change in the future or are the prices somewhat setting moving forward? Do you think once the opening date is announced that they will hike the prices?

Oh, I think you can guarantee that the prices will go up between now and then - SWL or not. I won't be surprised if they don't rise several times between now and then.

jbolen2

This is how much it changed for the dates we go each year.

Attachments

• 36D75F89-917C-4916-9D15-83D68356F579.png
    36D75F89-917C-4916-9D15-83D68356F579.png
    184.9 KB · Views: 129
  • 36F6FBCA-5101-432C-8FD7-7851D58C3814.png
    36F6FBCA-5101-432C-8FD7-7851D58C3814.png
    141.4 KB · Views: 123

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No

Are you saying someone who purchased tickets earlier this year had their ticket price adjusted?!?! I bought mine in March and are paid for but of course I cannot look at them online today as the site is down to see tickets for bringing the new pricing tool aboard MDE.
Sure would be cool if my January tickets went down in price....but since they are not dated I cant see how that would happen unless its because I have booked a resort for January and they ASSUME I am using undated tickets then?

jbolen2

You have to adjust the Undercover Tourist price by whatever the discount was in order to make this an apples to apples comparison.. so it likely changed a little bit less than those photos suggest.

I have a screen shot of the Disney site price for these before just gotta dig back and find it. It was around 510-515 if I remember correctly.

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Ok thanks that makes sense! Guess I will be able to see how much they would be under new system and if significant amount change toward my favor wonder if I can call guest services and get a price adjustment?!:angelic:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom