News Disney to launch new Vacation Planning site to help guests with date-based tickets

AEfx

I seem to remember paying somewhere around $1600 for 5 annual passes in 2005 and there were no blockouts. Now I'm looking at $4000 for the same level of access in 2018.

Thanks but no thanks.

Yeah, I had one from about 2004 to 2011. They went from like the high $300's to just under $500 in that period, if I recall. $500 was when I was out.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
I would be ok with paying more if I got more. But that seems to be the opposite strategy.

Slow parks? Raise prices and cut services because that will bring in more guests. But that’s the dirty little worst kept secret at P&R the guest doesn’t count for squat. It’s all about maximizing that quarterly earnings report.

MickeyMinnieMom

I think they have jumped the shark when they need an entire website to explain something that should be so straight forward as buying a ticket to a theme park.
I disagree. I think it might feel this way just because this is a change.

Buying tix for Universal Hollywood a year or two ago wasn't that different. Daily pricing with a separate site that walked you through the process. Is it all that different from the Universal Orlando ticket site now? I just took a look at it, and I don't think so.

AEfx

I disagree. I think it might feel this way just because this is a change.

Buying tix for Universal Hollywood a year or two ago wasn't that different. Daily pricing with a separate site that walked you through the process. Is it all that different from the Universal Orlando ticket site now? I just took a look at it, and I don't think so.

Universal Hollywood is generally a one-day thing.

This just further adds complexity over an already complex system, IMO. You basically need a PhD in Disney to master making dining reservations, fastpasses, etc. and now to buy tickets.

It may not be crazy to us, but think of that person who has never been to WDW before and is trying to navigate all this - when they are asking so much money for all this, and your trip can be made or broken before you even arrive based on how you plan - yeah, I think it is all just getting to be way too much.

Tony the Tigger

I hear Disney will allow 3rd party ticket wholesalers to sell the old Magic Your Way tickets through late October, roughly a couple of weeks after the Oct 16 launch. As of today, I don't know one vendor who's got a working system for new tix.

I thought this deserved to be reposted since it might help some surprised folks save a few bucks today.

Mander

In the Parks
No

This just further adds complexity over an already complex system, IMO. You basically need a PhD in Disney to master making dining reservations, fastpasses, etc. and now to buy tickets.

It may not be crazy to us, but think of that person who has never been to WDW before and is trying to navigate all this - when they are asking so much money for all this, and your trip can be made or broken before you even arrive based on how you plan - yeah, I think it is all just getting to be way too much.

You're not wrong here. I'm helping family friends plan their first trip in sixteen years and it'll be there first with their kids (14 and 11). Thinking about all the changes from their perspective has really reminded me of how over complicated this process has become.

MickeyMinnieMom

I always "joke" with people that I have a PhD in Disney in order to plan our trips. I don't disagree, overall (mostly because of ADRs and FPs). I just don't think this adds that much complexity. Is it really that different from this? https://www.universalorlando.com/we...s/index.html?days=1&adults=2&children=0&flr=0

LSLS

I always "joke" with people that I have a PhD in Disney in order to plan our trips. I don't disagree, overall (mostly because of ADRs and FPs). I just don't think this adds that much complexity. Is it really that different from this? https://www.universalorlando.com/we...s/index.html?days=1&adults=2&children=0&flr=0

So, looks like that doesn't change the price of tickets, it changes the price of the express pass for what it's worth.

And I will say, I've always found the Universal site a bit of a jumbled mess personally.

MagicHappens

I had a hunch they were going to increase ticket prices across the board so we bought APs last week. I understand that for some, ticket prices did go down. I'm sure for the majority it went up. The parking fees increase was unexpected.

disneyflush

I was reading through reviews of Magic Kingdom on TripAdvisor yesterday that were posted in the last few days and the bad reviews were definitely reflective of people not doing their homework before heading to WDW and being surprised at the lack of spontaneous options. There were a ton of super positive reviews as well by people who did do their homework.

Jon81uk

The ticket price is only set by the price of the first day though. You go into the site, choose how many days and the first day you want to visit. Can't see why that is so complex?

AEfx

The ticket price is only set by the price of the first day though. You go into the site, choose how many days and the first day you want to visit. Can't see why that is so complex?

It's that it is just another layer, another thought process - trying to figure out how to get the best deal on tickets. The stated intention is to make people come at different times based on more attractive prices, which makes it yet another aspect to juggle. If you have a date set in stone, sure - but again, it just adds to the overall complexity of planning when people are trying to navigate and schedule a trip.

nickys

Premium Member
And I will say, I've always found the Universal site a bit of a jumbled mess personally.

I read a funny report from someone who reckoned they’d totally screwed up bu buying tickets for the California park instead of Orlando. When she phoned to plead her case (since the small print says the tickets are non-refundable), she was told that “this happens all the time; we have to refund several people each day who do the same thing”!

AEfx

I had a hunch they were going to increase ticket prices across the board so we bought APs last week. I understand that for some, ticket prices did go down. I'm sure for the majority it went up. The parking fees increase was unexpected.

Which ones went down? I was trying to figure that out as the headline states it but I can't find any that went down - all the ones listed went up.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom