News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

tonymu

Premium Member
My guess is that the angled pieces (Blue) are not decorative but will extend the bridge up for the launch track. I could see the launch track (Green) starting level with the return track (Red) from the load area in the UofE building and then when it reaches the opening in the bridge (Pink) that does not have any cross members it will go up to enter the gravity building at the top through the upper portion of the corner angle extension of the building. It will then go through the gravity building and return near the bottom (Red) to the unload area in the UofE building.
GOTG Bridge.jpg

Mike S

Right?

I'm fairly simple. Energy should've been the proposed big bang overhaul. GotG a new build at DHS. Both parks receiving what they need, strengthening their theme and identity, adding capacity to DHS and reinvigorating underutilised capacity at FW, resulting in both Marvel and EPCOT at WDW, and two rides at not much more cost than the single one that they are building now.

Also, between the Tower and Energy I might have sacrificed the Tower...
I value FW more than DHS. Although both parks are now dead anyway. Two mediocre IOA's carved on the rotting carcases of two of the greatest theme parks ever built. :'(
To be fair, most of DHS has stunk for a very long time. Making it more like IoA is a vast improvement.

1990sWDW

@marni1971 can you confirm which side of the tunnel is launch & return in your amazing drawing?

Attachments

• EDDE8EB2-3511-46E0-8C79-26496FA6F491.jpeg
    EDDE8EB2-3511-46E0-8C79-26496FA6F491.jpeg
    25.5 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:

geekza

As I watch this thread, and others on wdwmagic:
It is occurring to me that not only is Universal trying to imitate the Disney from days gone by, Disney is now starting to become what Universal is trying to move away from.
Any others see it happening too?
I agree. Disney used to be the gold standard that others attempted to imitate. In the last few decades, Disney has stopped innovating and started copying. Universal, at least currently, seems to be looking at providing a guest experience more in line with what Disney used to provide, though they still have a looooong way to go.

celluloid

Which is why Disneyland (1955) should not have opened with:
Mr. Toad's Wild Ride (1949)
Mad Tea Party (1951)
Peter Pan (1953)
20,000 Leagues Under the sea Exhibit (1954)
Davy Crockett Museum (1955)
Sleeping Beauty Castle (1959)
King Arthur's Carousel (1963)

Comparing the world of today's pop culture and pop culture more than 60 years ago, things flow by a lot more with "noise" and flash in the pans. So half of your list are things that were temporary exhibits or attractions in the first major theme park project. The knowledge now is different. You are not wrong by any means though. A great ride or attraction that resonates can stand on it's own.
My post that was quoted with media hiccups adding to all of the other budget cuts happening was the drama of the yet to have filmed footage for the attraction. The James Gunn debacle killed a lot of enthusiasm from cast and crew as well as made signing things difficult.

So, the attractions that did last on your list were all over budgeted with care to a world that had never seen rides like those before. A budgeted coaster with a few dark ride theatrics is not going to have the same pull as those had 60 years of expectations bragged for four years.

MickeyMinnieMom

As I watch this thread, and others on wdwmagic:
It is occurring to me that not only is Universal trying to imitate the Disney from days gone by, Disney is now starting to become what Universal is trying to move away from.
Any others see it happening too?
Don't see that at all, personally. I hear that sort of thing on boards, but nowhere else. I'm still hearing from people I know how Universal "is fun for a bit, but just isn't Disney". Anecdotal, self-selection bias, etc. ;)

Missing20K

It really doesn't surprise me they have removed the concrete floor slab. Just like in a warehouse building, its not there for structural support of the building. With the extent to which they have already removed everything, this is a total update to the infrastructure of the building. I would suspect they will need to run a lot of things under the slab and/or replace/remove things that were under the slab. Based on what they are likely spending in order to get this ride built, the concrete slab is a small drop in the bucket and its much easier in the future if you know exactly what is there without any old stuff confusing things.

On another note, I would have removed the old solar panels so I could fully access the roof and make any repairs or alterations for the new ride. Upgrade them with the current tech if they are coming back. I would also consider the possibilities of a lighting package that highlights the ribs that run across the building. With all the cool lighting available, you could really hide some wonderful things in with the solar panels that are not visible during the day, but amazing at night. That would be easier to design and install at the end with new panels. Just a thought.

This guy builds.

I always shed a tear when a fountain is removed, because I grew up going to a mall that went from about seven fountains, to one, to zero.

If only they replaced them (or added new ones) as quickly as they removed them.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Right?

I'm fairly simple. Energy should've been the proposed big bang overhaul. GotG a new build at DHS. Both parks receiving what they need, strengthening their theme and identity, adding capacity to DHS and reinvigorating underutilised capacity at FW, resulting in both Marvel and EPCOT at WDW, and two rides at not much more cost than the single one that they are building now.

That would have been much smarter. Oh wait, that would mean higher operating costs, and higher operating costs do not equal "cost containment", so that's an automatic no-go from Chapek and Iger. :mad:

Also, between the Tower and Energy I might have sacrificed the Tower...

Sacrifice ToT? I'm sorry, we can't be friends anymore. ;)

I value FW more than DHS. Although both parks are now dead anyway. Two mediocre IOA's carved on the rotting carcases of two of the greatest theme parks ever built. :'(

Sad but oh-so-true.

aladdin2007

So I am still seeing the access road under the tunnel, is this remaining or will they will have to go around the entire new structure like it was once possibly thought?

tparris

@marni1971 can you confirm which side of the tunnel is launch & return in your amazing drawing?
I wouldn't expect him to say anything regarding details of the layout quite yet. We are extremely lucky that he decided to show us what he did. Also, @marni1971 I will be extremely disappointed if we don't get a giant "M A R T I N" in the new building when the ride is complete.

trainplane3

I already pointed that out right after he posted it and he's keeping it under wraps so none of the "surprises" will be spoiled.
Also, @marni1971 I will be extremely disappointed if we don't get a giant "M A R T I N" in the new building when the ride is complete.
Literally the only way I'll accept this ride. Martin has more in common with FW then Guardians do.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
My guess is that the angled pieces (Blue) are not decorative but will extend the bridge up for the launch track. I could see the launch track (Green) starting level with the return track (Red) from the load area in the UofE building and then when it reaches the opening in the bridge (Pink) that does not have any cross members it will go up to enter the gravity building at the top through the upper portion of the corner angle extension of the building. It will then go through the gravity building and return near the bottom (Red) to the unload area in the UofE building.
View attachment 320143
Unless the trains will be low speed at that point, I can't see launching into a lateral curve like that... unless the track is heavily banked, that would put a LOT of stress on the front/outside wheels.

Monorail_Red_77

They are keeping the current road, it will pass under the connecting tunnel just as it already is now.
Yes, they recently refurbished this road, its staying. In fact, over behind Wonders building the small parking lot was removed so the road could hug closer to the Wonders building due to the gravity building moving in right behind.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
Also, between the Tower and Energy I might have sacrificed the Tower..

Other than sacrificing tower I 100% agree with your assessment. Energy didn't deserve to go like this, but Mr. Bobby really loves himself some Marvel / GotG in the parks no matter if they're thematically consistent or not. Can't say i'm a fan of DCA's direction but seeing that and where EPCOT is going - it's unfortunate.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Unless the trains will be low speed at that point, I can't see launching into a lateral curve like that... unless the track is heavily banked, that would put a LOT of stress on the front/outside wheels.

I agree. So... it's likely that the major launch happens after the turn.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom