News Park attendance showing significant softness heading into the Fall 2018

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
See that is where people confuse Disney for Six Flags or Cedar Fair which needs to constantly build attractions to keep attendance. I agree Disney needs to be continuously building good rides for people to enjoy. But a long time ago Dis figured out that even with prices increasing people will still come. Because of the atmosphere and other entertainment they offer they provide something regional parks frankly can’t afford or dream of offering to the quality set by Dis.

I don’t disagree with your point...

But there is a valid one that chapek might be looking at the parks paradigm with an outdated model.

Pressler ran with “product to park and vice versa” and it lead to the worst management/approach in Disney history.

When you cheapen the product...as both advocate...it’s not the driver to get people there any longer in a changing world.

As far as the dilenation between Disney and regionals...nobody disputes the difference.

But it’s way dangerous to go into a world with shorter attention spans/more entertainment with the tact they don’t have to build. You need now more than ever and the parks will cost more to run.

“Here’s a Halloween party and peter pans flight “ won’t last forever...people will get bored.

eddie104

I don’t disagree with your point...

But there is a valid one that chapek might be looking at the parks paradigm with an outdated model.

Pressler ran with “product to park and vice versa” and it lead to the worst management/approach in Disney history.

When you cheapen the product...as both advocate...it’s not the driver to get people there any longer in a changing world.

As far as the dilenation between Disney and regionals...nobody disputes the difference.

But it’s way dangerous to go into a world with shorter attention spans/more entertainment with the tact they don’t have to build. You need now more than ever and the parks will cost more to run.

“Here’s a Halloween party and peter pans flight “ won’t last forever...people will get bored.
You just made a point about the Halloween parties and cupcake parties people infamously mention. Those actually draw people to come back to the park to spend more money and with todays generation they are very popular because of the "instagram" worthy experience. Chapek has no business being in the position he is in considering having no experience with running theme parks. I do agree that Disney needs to maintain a standard of quality to the products they are offering. I just hope when they build all these attractions the same people don't claim it's too crowded because that is what they wanted to begin with.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Thanks for your kind comments. I think that there are a lot of folks around here who think that, because some of us are critical of the current company, we obviously hate everything having to do with Disney. Nothing could be farther from the truth. I'm critical because I care about a place that has had a tremendous positive impact on my life, from the time I was a small child. I've seen it at its best and, like other long-time visitors, know what a truly unique and special place it has been and could be again. I have no problem with Disney making money. I want them to make money so that a place like WDW can endure and continue to enthrall subsequent generations with its magic. If I didn't believe that the right management decisions could ensure WDW's continued success and, yes, growth and evolution, I wouldn't bother. I may have no direct power over whether or not this happens, but pointing out observations and experiences in support of raising guest expectations can be, I believe, useful and constructive.

THIS!!!

Chomama

They have had the room only discount at least the last 3 years I have had the card. The discount only is worth having the card. No annual fee, and I really only use it to book the initial package/room.
Do you book through Disney or visa? Like just any visa cardholder can get the discount? Sorry to bug you but I have not heard of this and wasn’t sure where to go to get a quote. Thanks!

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Do you book through Disney or visa? Like just any visa cardholder can get the discount? Sorry to bug you but I have not heard of this and wasn’t sure where to go to get a quote. Thanks!
Book through Disney directly online. I had to ask for the link though. But some great discounts.

azox

I wouldn't call it dead, but it certainly was no weekend crowd.

Good point. Just completed a survey from our trip last week, and they asked us for a detailed day-by-day listing of which parks we were in.

They had that information already in the system via (a) Gate entry records and (b) POS purchase records.

With the cost cutting, it makes you wonder when they will start shutting down whole parks certain days of the week. I know they want to make more profit, but at some point it makes WDW no fun.

flynnibus

Premium Member
It's a 35% discount for Visa card holders....I haven't seen a Disney Visa card discount for a room only for some years though...maybe goes along with the "softness" of attendance.

I thought the Visa holders just got 'early access' to some of the promos... not promos unique to chase.

Clamman73

I thought the Visa holders just got 'early access' to some of the promos... not promos unique to chase.
True...but I don't know if that's always the case with every promotion....I was a little mistaken about whether or not Visa cardholders were getting discounts or not for the past recent years...I was just thinking about the Fall period for rooms only.

flynnibus

Premium Member
True...but I don't know if that's always the case with every promotion....I was a little mistaken about whether or not Visa cardholders were getting discounts or not for the past recent years...I was just thinking about the Fall period for rooms only.

I've had the card for 11 years and don't know of anything but the early offers, financing offer (on vacation packages/rooms), merch discounts over $50 in select locations, and the in-park perks that change periodically.

It's useful for the 6 months free financing on the booking (especially on cruises). The other discounts rarely lineup for us. Plus the rewards dollars are tied to disney only.

Phil12

I've had the card for 11 years and don't know of anything but the early offers, financing offer (on vacation packages/rooms), merch discounts over $50 in select locations, and the in-park perks that change periodically.

It's useful for the 6 months free financing on the booking (especially on cruises). The other discounts rarely lineup for us. Plus the rewards dollars are tied to disney only.
I was a charter member but I got rid of the card last year because the discounts were so poor and I used the card so infrequently.

Rosanne

Word from inside the park is that there are signs of some significant slowdown in attendance this month.

Alarm bells are beginning to sound, with various areas being asked to trim back labor and begin cost saving measures.

For those of you who may not be regular readers, this isn't entirely new, and has occurred several times over the last couple of years.
We are going to Disney the end of this month. I have been trying to get a Fast Pass for Pandora Flight of Passage ever since it opened. We have resident annual passes. We are only allowed to book a fast pass 30 days in advance. Every day says "no more fast passes." It may not look crowded inside the parks because everyone is waiting in line for the good rides. Any advice on how to get a fast pass for this ride 30 days in advance? I guess they are all taken by people that can get them 60 days in advance. Its so crazy now with these passes that I'm ready to drop my annual pass and just forget Disney and go to Universal. I wish they would go back to the old way of getting a fast pass and forget about getting them online. All these people that were able to get a Fast Pass and then dont go, dont bother to cancel their pass in order to allow others to get them. There must be a better way???

whiterhino42

Word from inside the park is that there are signs of some significant slowdown in attendance this month.

Alarm bells are beginning to sound, with various areas being asked to trim back labor and begin cost saving measures.

For those of you who may not be regular readers, this isn't entirely new, and has occurred several times over the last couple of years.
Maybe it has to do with the outrageous price gouging

Tony the Tigger

We are going to Disney the end of this month. I have been trying to get a Fast Pass for Pandora Flight of Passage ever since it opened. We have resident annual passes. We are only allowed to book a fast pass 30 days in advance. Every day says "no more fast passes." It may not look crowded inside the parks because everyone is waiting in line for the good rides. Any advice on how to get a fast pass for this ride 30 days in advance? I guess they are all taken by people that can get them 60 days in advance. Its so crazy now with these passes that I'm ready to drop my annual pass and just forget Disney and go to Universal. I wish they would go back to the old way of getting a fast pass and forget about getting them online. All these people that were able to get a Fast Pass and then dont go, dont bother to cancel their pass in order to allow others to get them. There must be a better way???

They’re not all gone. Common misconception. Just try again every once in awhile, not necessarily in the morning.

If that doesn’t work, your best shot is the night before and early morning of your park day to get a FP.

#nodrama

kong1802

Our AP's expire in a few days and we've gotten an FOP FP 1 time in our 30 or so visits over the last year. This includes checking day before and morning of numerous times. People have had better luck.

I suggest either getting there an hour before opening, or just getting in line about 5 minutes before closing. The before close method was very successful for us.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Our AP's expire in a few days and we've gotten an FOP FP 1 time in our 30 or so visits over the last year. This includes checking day before and morning of numerous times. People have had better luck.

I suggest either getting there an hour before opening, or just getting in line about 5 minutes before closing. The before close method was very successful for us.

You're obviously doing something wrong. Multiple people have stated that FP is readily available for FoP day-of. They can't just be that lucky (or searching for a small number of people)... can they? ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom