The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Yesterday, I took my car to the car wash. It was absolutely disgusting, and I did not feel like spending hours trying to clean it myself today. My dad is thoroughly against car washes. He believes that if you take your car to the car wash instead of doing it yourself, you're being lazy and wasting money. I don't see how $10 plus the $2 I saved when I put gas in the car for not wasting at least an hour, probably more, of my time, is wasting money, but anyway, because of his opinion, I just decided not to mention it.

He came in today: "You took your car to the car wash, didn't you?"

And there we have it. Conclusive proof that he is about as obsessed with the condition of my car as I am. :hilarious: Surprisingly, once I told him that it didn't cost much and I got a discount on the gas, he really didn't say much.

First of all, I completely support your taking the car to the car wash. Second of all, it's all relative. We spend money on things or services that are best for us. He's spent money on many vacations, restaurant meals, etc., while other people might want to spend their money on other things. There's no right or wrong here--choices are individual. To each his/her own.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
The new environmentally friendly straws everyone has now are really horrible.

Just keeping them clean has to be a pain in the neck. I can see more waste with those than the disposable. People will spend too much on them, get annoyed because of having to clean them, and then throw them away anyway. Imagine going to a restaurant with your own straws. When you are done eating you would have to use the bathroom to clean them. Then you would need to pack them away in some container and carry it around with you. :rolleyes:

Ever since the straw debate came up recently, I kept thinking to myself, why can't people just drink out of the cup without a straw? (I realize there might be certain drinks, such as those with crushed ice, for example, that would need a plastic, not paper, straw.)

But I was thinking that at home, I never use straws. So even if you go out and buy a soda with ice, and there is a lid, why can't you just take off the lid and drink out of the cup?

MySmallWorldof4

Yes Blurg. But I did find 3 pairs of Jeans yesterday afternoon. I HATE jean shopping. Wish I could say I found all three quickly but at least by the time the Event was over, Some Garrett popcorn and Starbucks I left with jeans 'cause I likely would not have gone back for weeks. Hate it that much.
I went to the J. Crew outlet near me a couple of weeks ago and actually found a couple of pairs that fit me well and did not ride low on my hips. I like their classic clothing style.

MySmallWorldof4

First of all, I completely support your taking the car to the car wash. Second of all, it's all relative. We spend money on things or services that are best for us. He's spent money on many vacations, restaurant meals, etc., while other people might want to spend their money on other things. There's no right or wrong here--choices are individual. To each his/her own.
You are so right here. People wonder why we go to Disney so much because it is expensive. Well, we don't really spend much money on other things.

MySmallWorldof4

Ever since the straw debate came up recently, I kept thinking to myself, why can't people just drink out of the cup without a straw? (I realize there might be certain drinks, such as those with crushed ice, for example, that would need a plastic, not paper, straw.)

But I was thinking that at home, I never use straws. So even if you go out and buy a soda with ice, and there is a lid, why can't you just take off the lid and drink out of the cup?
When you are sitting at a table it is easy to take off the lid. Walking around with a drink makes that hard and could be quite messy. Kids using cups without lids can be a nightmare. I think straws are necessary for the kids. When straws weren't available when my kids were little. I turned the coffee cups, with coffee cup lids into sippy cups. Wait, are they going to get rid of all cup lids as well? That would include the coffee cup lids. People could get potentially burned. Can, worms, open.;)

Goofyernmost

I used to take my car to the car wash (after I hit my mid 60's) because I just didn't want to do it anymore, but, I had an obsession with keeping my Cadillac looking good. When I moved here from Vermont it already had 6 years of Vermont winters on it and the exterior and interior was disgusting. I had it detailed and it was like having a new car. Right up until the day I sold it, I kept it spotless (via the car-wash) Then I was forced to let it go because of a mechanical problem that was going to cost over six grand to fix. It had finally reached it's point of no longer worth it. When I tried to trade it in, the most I could get for it was $900.00 and they didn't even know about the mechanical problem yet. It was, after all, 13 years old by then. So I leased my current car and all of a sudden washing it no longer seems important. So once every month or two I take it in to the car wash and give it the basic cleaning. No longer obsessed with keeping someone else's car pristine. Now it's just lazy and only because they can do a much better job of cleaning the interior then I can and that is why I go there even that often.

Sorry, for the long, useless post. I had one of those dreams last night. You know, the type where you are trying to run away from something, but, your body suddenly weighs 40 tons and your legs are unable to move beyond a crawl. I'm trying to mentally work my way out of that so I decided to relay a story with no redeeming quality to get my mind off the dream. Apparently, it didn't work. I hate starting my day like that.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

Because you are likely to be mobile, and even walking can cause liquids to splash about make a mess of clothing or your surroundings. Also because, I'm not a germaphobic by a long shot. I won't tell you the extremes I go to not be one, however, my only departure for letting my immune system do it's job has to do with drinking directly out of a glass that I didn't clean. I don't know whose hand have touched the glass or cup, what kind of contact was made with the part that I am about to place partially in my mouth and on my lips. It makes me shudder just thinking about it. So I always want a straw with drinking from someplace other them my own kitchen. OK, so now you have conformation... I am not Rambo... I do occasionally give in to my inner fears. :eek: However, I still hate winter, so I have that going for me! ;)

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
If the carwash is one where someone else pressure cleans your car then I am with you both.
If it's an automated one then :in pain: I would never use one of them especially if it's a new car ...

Goofyernmost

If the carwash is one where someone else pressure cleans your car then I am with you both.
If it's an automated one then :in pain: I would never use one of them especially if it's a new car ...
I just discovered something about newer cars that I didn't know before. I don't think I told this story here, but, on the 13th of this month, (an ominous date to begin with) I was on my way out to the store and stopped at our mailboxes. As I was getting out of my car I felt it move towards me. I lady had backed into the front corner of it and then proceeded to just continue on. I yelled out and she stopped, I went and looked at the front bumper (made of plastic) and there was one of the softball sized dents that distorted that entire front corner. It looked awful. Our building maintenance man witnessed it and his reaction was that looked like an easy $1500. fix. I agreed. After getting the proper information, both she and I left to continue on to our destinations.

I only went about 4 miles and stopped at my location. I got out of the car and headed into the building. As I passed by the car I glanced over at the bumper and :jawdrop: all I could see were a few scratches with the red paint from her car seemingly embedded in them. The dent was gone completely and the fender was back to it's original shape, lined up and everything. I then took it to that automated car wash and had it run through. After a few days of the Hurricane induced rain it was pretty dirty and I wanted to see the extent of the damage. It came out of the car wash with all but one tiny mark completely gone. I told people about it and many of them expressed their concern about whether or not I should be living alone! After doing some body shop questioning apparently a lot of the newer cars have been using "memory" plastic that returns to it's original shape when dented and the clear coat used on the paint job is scratch resistant and when washed the paint and debris from the other car just washed off. Color me amazed, but, happy.

Moral of the story... Automatic car washes will probably not do any damage at all. They wouldn't stay in business very long if they did. Of course, I'm not from the UK. For all I know they might still be using tree branches to beat the dirt off cars. (just kidding, I think)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom