News Reflections of Earth confirmed to be replaced by Harmonious

jrhwdw

The lens of nostalgia always makes people look at things more fondly, but in this case, the soundtrack is a masterpiece and the story fits everything that Epcot was about. It was the perfect cap to a day at Epcot. Since 1999, each of the original pavilions has changed to different degrees of controversy, and in my opinion, it's the last piece of the golden age of Epcot. I think some of us, myself included, hang onto it tighter for this reason. It seems like if you grew up watching RoE, the majority love it and a minority think it was time for change. Feels like it's the reverse if you're more of a WDW newbie. That's only a small sample size of this corner of the internet, but I think you've got the general idea.

Granted I'm focused more on Entertainment than Attractions, but what happened to the rest of the pavilions? I know Donald and a little COCO in Mexico, Elsa in Norway and Ratatouille coming to France.

tirian

I know this is unpopular, but I have 2 thoughts... and both rub against the grain here.
1) I see a 20 year show is getting replaced and think "its about time" Things, even great things, get stale.

2) I don't hate IP. Fill it in, where ever, or don't ... Either way. no big deal.

After all, no one hates everything Disney quite like a true Disney-fan.

Is that because true Disney fans know Walt wasn’t lazy and kept creating new content instead of slapping cartoon characters on everything?

It’s a good thing intense Disney fan cultures didn’t exist in the 1960s; otherwise, we might not have Mary Poppins, the Haunted Mansion, Pirates, the Matterhorn, monorails... and the list goes on.

I completely agree that ROE was stale. I disagree with the company’s short-sighted insistence on shoving characters into everything.

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
As a somewhat newcomer to WDW (2 trips, first was in September, 2015), I've never understood the appeal of Illuminations (or Fanstamic! for that matter, but I don't want to derail the thread). It makes me wonder if it's more the nostalgia of it that makes it feel so special to people. Wishes, otoh, I fell in love with that the first time I ever experienced it!

I'm looking forward to the new show at Epcot. Maybe we'll have a reason to stick around past 8:30 then.

I saw it for the first time 10 years ago and remember loving it even from the first viewing, so definitely not nostalgia for me.

TwilightZone

Another good idea for IP I have for an epcot show is, while it may never happen, would be meet the robinsons. The keep moving forward message would be great for a night show and epcot. But maybe that's just me.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Another good idea for IP I have for an epcot show is, while it may never happen, would be meet the robinsons. The keep moving forward message would be great for a night show and epcot. But maybe that's just me.

...or perhaps, IP in yet another repetitive fireworks show in a park not built for it is a complete joke?

...I think we might be too subtle here...

llrain

Special for us as well as we were married at epcot, had a dessert party specifically for illuminations . "Promise" was our wedding song as well.. so we feel your pain as we see everything of our wedding aside from our ceremony disappear next year, we knew it wouldnt last forever though I guess

Well, since everyone is weighing in with opinions . . . .

-I saw original Illuminations on my Honeymoon. So, imagine how important that
was to me! I was crushed when I heard it was changing.
-But then! Saw the new one, and saw it again and again, now with my kids, and so
that has become very special. So I am very sad, it is my favorite nighttime spectacular
and I've been to all in WDW and DL (no overseas parks)
-BUT I was astounded by Happily Ever After. I get what you all are saying about IP, but
the technical wizardry, timing, everything about that show is amazing.

SO.

Illuminations:ROE, I will miss you as much or more as original Illuminations.
IP, I do not welcome you, but I accept your inevitability. Original EPCOT Center is no more. I have accepted that.
Happily Ever After, thank you for blazing the trail with your technological wizardry.

And here we go . . . . with optimism, in keeping with the original feel of EPCOT Center.
It's happening. I plan to try to embrace it.

To all who come to this place of joy, hope and friendship, welcome.
Epcot is inspired by Walt Disney's creative vision. Here, human achievements are celebrated through imagination, wonders of enterprise and concepts of a future that promises new and exciting benefits for all.
May EPCOT Center entertain, inform and inspire and above all, may it instill a new sense of belief and pride in man's ability to shape a world that offers hope to people everywhere.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Special for us as well as we were married at epcot, had a dessert party specifically for illuminations . "Promise" was our wedding song as well.. so we feel your pain as we see everything of our wedding aside from our ceremony disappear next year, we knew it wouldnt last forever though I guess

Same...country pavilion wedding ...living seas reception...France fireworks thing (guess what the cost was?)

...but the show needs to go. But not for another Disney highlight clip reel. Need to do an original concept/theme

TwilightZone

I wonder if we are to blame for the new epcot show to be IP based. I mean, we all did complain about rivers of light, which was the first non IP night show in years. Maybe disney listened to that and took that information too wrong and now we have this.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Is that because true Disney fans know Walt wasn’t lazy and kept creating new content instead of slapping cartoon characters on everything?

It’s a good thing intense Disney fan cultures didn’t exist in the 1960s; otherwise, we might not have Mary Poppins, the Haunted Mansion, Pirates, the Matterhorn, monorails... and the list goes on.

I completely agree that ROE was stale. I disagree with the company’s short-sighted insistence on shoving characters into everything.
All in favor say: AYE!!!

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I wonder if we are to blame for the new epcot show to be IP based. I mean, we all did complain about rivers of light, which was the first non IP night show in years. Maybe disney listened to that and took that information too wrong and now we have this.

I would say we’re to blame because too many people embraced the Norway stupidity and got geeked up at D23 for guardians of the galaxy to be shoved into places not meant for fiction without purpose...

gerarar

Premium Member
I rather would've heard that Disney was planning on taking down Fantasmic! for an extensive refurbishment next year. That nighttime spectacular really needs the updating more imo and given new tech/stuff.

Only saw RoE a couple times, but it was still a wonderful show to watch from wherever in world showcase, but my memories serves that Japan as my favorite.

trainplane3

100% this. I love RoE and hate to see it go, but it's 20 years old and needs to change. I'm fine with change, love it really. But having to cram the latest Pixar or Disney Animation Studio into a ride or a show got old years ago (to me). I saw enough ads for Frozen that it caused me to hate it before even seeing it.

Ads are a thing for a reason, but shoving it down my throat at every step in the park drives me away from it. Heck with how much Star Wars is shoved at me, I'm starting to slowly care less of it. Marvel suffered similarly about 2 years ago to me. I like when they do tiny promotional things that are exclusive (as much as I didn't care for the overlay, the TL Incredibles thing was kind of nice...and not permanent). I may have been a weirdo when I was 10, but I liked Epcot since it was full of things I've never seen before and not *latest Pixar movie goes here* plastered on top of *semi relevant country/pavilion*. Though I am kinda bummed that Coco didn't go into Mexico since there is a very solid and not half-"efforted" cultural tie there.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Maybe it will be a 20 minute tribute to Vampirina doing the baby shark dance.

And no, I will not apologize for making anyone watch that. I am indeed that cruel and heartless.

images(25) (1.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom