The Neighbor Lady and TP2000 Walk Into a Bar...

Phroobar

I don't think so...where are you "hearing" this stuff, if I may ask?
I was half listening to Jim Hill. It turns out he was talking about Buzz being turned into Antman and the Wasp at Hong Kong.

giphy.gif

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Hasn't it been said over and over by @GiveMeTheMusic that Disneyland management is making it up as they go along?

And I'm not convinced that Chapek is in any danger of leaving. Remove your fanboy hat and think like a Disney executive for a second. Disney executives/shareholders want money. Chapek brings them wheelbarrows full of money, at the expense of literally everything else (but that part doesn't matter, because money comes above all else). Therefore... isn't he succeeding?
Of course he is. But he's also alienating a percentage of the fanbase (aka, us and other like-minded folks) who can see through his line of corporate BS and realize that he really truly has no clue how to do his job. His appeal rests in the percentage of people who hear the words "new" and "Disney" in the same sentence and grab for their keys and AP cards. But then again, I'd be shocked if those same people would ever be caught dead criticizing anything Disney does.

VJ

Of course he is. But he's also alienating a percentage of the fanbase (aka, us and other like-minded folks) who can see through his line of corporate BS and realize that he really truly has no clue how to do his job. His appeal rests in the percentage of people who hear the words "new" and "Disney" in the same sentence and grab for their keys and AP cards. But then again, I'd be shocked if those same people would ever be caught dead criticizing anything Disney does.
You say that as if Disney cares what we think. They don't. They highlight the positive reactions and ignore the criticism. And they definitely, definitely never admit when they're wrong. If we staged a boycott of Disney right now, it wouldn't even make a dent in their revenue. Disney knows that we're a minority.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

You say that as if Disney cares what we think. They don't. They highlight the positive reactions and ignore the criticism. And they definitely, definitely never admit when they're wrong. If we staged a boycott of Disney right now, it wouldn't even make a dent in their revenue. Disney knows that we're a minority.
I know...that's the sad reality of things. But I'm glad at least (reading in between the neighbor lady's comments) that it appears some folks on the inside are starting to wake up to his ignorance.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
Chapek's reign hasn't been that big of a success, though. Look at the failures of Summer of Heroes and Pixar Fest. Huge flops.
Chapek worked at wdw for a time and now it's having an empty spell

I still hold to this day that $hapek is going to drive my love for the parks to the ground. His ideas are all based solely on advertisement / merchandising / Cost-Cutting / Price Raising

the.dreamfinder

Chapek worked at wdw for a time and now it's having an empty spell
Incorrect. Chapek has never worked in P&R prior to becoming chairman. He’s a marketing guy who started out at Heinz, yes, the ketchup people, then moved over to the Walt Disney Studios. Later, he went over to Consumer Products and rose through the ranks. Ike Perlmutter, during his changes to CP, took a shine to Chapek and helped get him the head job there.

TP2000

Original Poster
Clarification: She brought up Chapek's replacement not because he's rumored to leave soon, just because no one stays in that job for more than about five or six years and she noted that he's already past the halfway mark on that timetable. He'll have to leave eventually.

As I remember it, this Chapek topic came up in a side conversation about management morale in TDA, which is not great. Mr. Dimaro has been working on boosting morale amongst the front line CM's, or at least he's trying to, but morale amongst her TDA peers is not good. She is frustrated that it's so hard now to sign in her friends and family to Disneyland with all the blackout dates her employee pass has, wages have stagnated for lower and middle management in the last decade, etc. She's only been able to sign in family a dozen times this year, when in the past she would use her employee pass a few dozen times per year. She is very close to retiring herself, but fears for the current crop of middle managers who are seeing increased turnover.

She's had a great run, starting as a Disneyland burger flipper out of high school, met her husband there while they were both in college and he went on to a successful career outside Disneyland, while she stayed at Disneyland and rose through the management ranks in the 1970's and 80's. She's got a comfy desk job in the TDA building now. But she worries that the current young folks with college degrees entering Disneyland management can't afford to buy a house and raise a family in SoCal and follow her same path without leaving Disneyland.

Now that I think about it, this particular conversation seemed to be like therapy for her. We talked for about three hours, and two hours were about Disneyland gossip. She has been frustrated with how Disney is running things lately. This was one of the darker chats we've had about Disneyland over the past five years or so.

Last edited:

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Now that I think about it, this particular conversation seemed to be like therapy for her. She has been frustrated with how Disney is running things lately. This was one of the darker chats we've had about Disneyland over the past five years or so.
...which makes total sense since we're a few months away from entering Disneyland's darkest timeline...

There's literally no going back from this point forward.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
Clarification: She brought up Chapek's replacement not because he's rumored to leave soon, just because no one stays in that job for more than about five or six years and she noted that he's already past the halfway mark on that timetable. He'll have to leave eventually.

As I remember it, this Chapek topic came up in a side conversation about management morale in TDA, which is not great. Mr. Dimaro has been working on boosting morale amongst the front line CM's, or at least he's trying to, but morale amongst her TDA peers is not good. She is frustrated that it's so hard now to sign in her friends and family to Disneyland with all the blackout dates her employee pass has, wages have stagnated for lower and middle management in the last decade, etc. She's only been able to sign in family a dozen times this year, when in the past she would use her employee pass a few dozen times per year. She is very close to retiring herself, but fears for the current crop of middle managers who are seeing increased turnover.

She's had a great run, starting as a Disneyland burger flipper out of high school, met her husband there while they were both in college and he went on to a successful career outside Disneyland, while she stayed at Disneyland and rose through the management ranks in the 1970's and 80's. She's got a comfy desk job in the TDA building now. But she worries that the current young folks with college degrees entering Disneyland management can't afford to buy a house and raise a family in SoCal and follow her same path without leaving Disneyland.

Now that I think about it, this particular conversation seemed to be like therapy for her. We talked for about three hours, and two hours were about Disneyland gossip. She has been frustrated with how Disney is running things lately. This was one of the darker chats we've had about Disneyland over the past five years or so.

The sooner that joker resigns the better. I'm unfortunately not surprised one bit about the low morale.

Disney Irish

Premium Member

Since Iger is set to stay on until 2021 (or later) due to Fox, that would indicate Chapek might not actually be in line for CEO.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom