News New sponsor coming to Walt Disney World's Splash Mountain

Minnie1976

I can’t have a straw or top for my drink, but they are going to give me a ziplock bag. Don’t get me wrong I use ziplock bags all the time. I hope it is big enough for my purse. This is very hypocritical Disney.
Omg! Here is an idea when you get the ziplock they need to give you some box top coupons for children’s schools. My grandchildren begs for them, the kids get some little benefit at school when they bring them.

Last edited:

gljvd

Really that recycling point just needs to be labeled as 'Ziplock bag return' and make it look mandatory. That's the only way you're going to stop most of them ending up in a bush out by the park entrance.

I get that they needed the sponsorship but they really couldn't have picked a worse product to associate themselves with. They could at least try and make it look like they are being responsible about it.

All reusable bags is just virtue signaling . They take a really really long time to break down and also cost a lot more to produce than plastic bags. Not only that but the way we make dumps today stops even quick compost stuff take decades or centuries to break down.

If we really get into it , if handing out 1,000 ziplock bags can save 1 phone it would most likely be a net gain as the contents of the cell phone will be much more dangerous when it ends up in a third world country , striped of any precious metals and then set on fire and the chemicals enter the air or even leach into the ground .

Take a look at this https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ld-PCs-laptops-microwaves-fridges-phones.html

Animewarsdude

I know right:rolleyes: Disney wants to make us save the earth by getting rid of lids and straws. They want us to use the paper straws (which is disgusting) and try to fit all our stuff into one bag. But they would love to have Ziploc come and sponsor Splash Mountain with their bags. What is this logic?!?!?! With the guests that ride Splash everyday I bet 1/4 of them will lose the bag in the parks or just throw it on the ground when there was a perfectly recycling bin at the exit of the ride. Disney could've have sponsored a business that actually uses earth friendly materials! But they had to use Ziploc.

Ok I think I'm done ranting :hilarious:
I think it sort of comes down to the fact that Ziploc sponsoring Splash Mountain means that they are reducing costs by having Ziploc pick up some of the operating expenses, and are being given the bags to in exchange hand them out as promotions to guests. The plastic bags and straws are virtue signalling disguised to cut costs. The plastic bags themselves will be a pure cut cost with the new optional bags guests can pay for likely helping cover the cost to switch over to paper straws. Sure as a guest you have the option to bring in a bag and carry it around the park but I doubt most will though if you are staying at a resort you can just ship the stuff back to your room; but I'm sure Disney did a cost analysis with an estimate on the amount of people who will likely end up buying the optional bags to carry their goods.

ThatMouse

On my last trip, I found the cups are hard to hold without a lid. The cup collapses. There were lids and plastic straws available though. But no paper straws. Plenty of plastic bottled water being sold. Plastic bags are hard to recycle so it's better to avoid using them or reuse them as much as you can.

Magic Feather

I have used my camera and phone to take pictures when going down the water fall. No damage.
My personal theory is that they originally wanted to sponsor Kali with the “protect your phone logic” but the whole “no plastics in AK” thing threw a wrench into that plan, so they put it on splash. Plus, since Splash protects your phone anyway, nobody can say they got a faulty bad and their phone was damaged.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
They make a great souvenirs! Be sure to ask for two bags that way you can keep one of your Ziplocs from getting wet!

Last edited:

GlacierGlacier

The elimination of some plastic waste is better than the elimination of no plastic waste.

In a business, finances matter. The introduction of money from Ziploc allows for Disney to spend less of their own money on Splash.

As part of that, though a large quantity of plastic waste (and production/consumption of single-use plastic goods) were eliminated, multi-use plastig goods were introduced in small quantities.

Two steps forward, a quarter step back. But this is normal. The march of progress is a slow and steady beast.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I've been looking lately. Most, if not all, of the plastic lids I've seen have been recyclable. I can't see why straws wouldn't be as well, unless they use a type of plastic that they cannot recycle?

LittleBuford

I've been looking lately. Most, if not all, of the plastic lids I've seen have been recyclable. I can't see why straws wouldn't be as well, unless they use a type of plastic that they cannot recycle?

The problem isn’t whether or not plastic straws are recyclable. Most never end up in the recylcing bin to begin with. Once they’re out there polluting the environment, the battle is already lost.

yclaird

This news is definitely upsetting to hear, especially with the overuse of plastics that we already see in our society! In my opinion, if someone needs to keep their devices dry for the ride, they should be responsible for bringing their own ziplock bags (and recycling stations should still be made available at the end of the ride). My hope is that Disney can come up with a way to manage the use and recycling of the bags... just imagine the mess the plastic will make, or how many animals could wind up eating the bags!

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
If that's in response to my answer, I'm not sure why. What did I say that you find so objectionable?

It was more that Disney could easily instruct customers to toss their drink cups into a separate container, removing the plastic from the regular waste stream. But they won't, because that would likely cost money. There are things they themselves could do but won't because of the cost, and instead put on the PR dog-and-pony show of removing straws because "it's a feel-good story".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom