News Park attendance showing significant softness heading into the Fall 2018

jrhwdw

Could it have to do with MK still not having a night parade??? RollsEyes

If MNSSHP is down, is HalloWishes without a HEA Upgrade to blame?

Of course weather doesn't helps things as it poured/thundered last night before DPB's BTY Stream.(BTY was fine)

Would this have any effect on ROE's Interim or full replacement?

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Lotta numbers there. What about the marginal satisfaction for not having to wait 20 min for food because they closed half the QSR in the park for "staffing"....or getting to meet Goofy in a line of 7 instead of 37 because they have a full cast available?....or the marginal satisfaction you get from catching a bus in a short amount of time because they kept enough drivers on to keep people moving? and so on and so forth...
I'm sharing what the logic is, not endorsing what I think it should be.

SSH

F&W and the MNSSHP seem like the main draws for the fall season, maybe they’re not the draw they used to be?

I know a few people who came back from F&W and were disappointed with what they felt was poor value for the money. These were different folks - not related - not one said they would return. Again, just a few people's opinions, but for what it's worth....

geekza

I honestly think that much of it is due to people holding off until GE opens or even the 50th. Some will disagree with me, but as prices continue to skyrocket, a decent percentage of folks who are deciding whether or not to go to WDW will hold off until they feel like there's something there that will be truly worth the thousands they'd have to spend to visit. In this case, we know GE is coming late next fall and that 2021 will be a big year for WDW fans. I think most folks will wait. The only reason we're still going this year is that we can afford it right now, but with costs continuing to balloon, we likely wouldn't be able to afford to go by the time the "big things" are going on. I have an ever-increasing feeling that this will be the last time I'll be able to go. I think Disney overestimates the number of people who will continue to pay what they're asking.

jrhwdw

I know a few people who came back from F&W and were disappointed with what they felt was poor value for the money. These were different folks - not related - not one said they would return. Again, just a few people's opinions, but for what it's worth....
Granted, I've never been to F&W, but I thought it was always popular with Epcot guests.

SSH

They decided to follow trends instead of set them by charging for parking at their hotels, something they've never done before. It's not surprising that the numbers aren't up to par this fall, when you look at the work to boost guest spending. I think if they had done a few things differently over the past couple of years, the numbers would have met expectations.

What annoys me is that it's so ridiculously easy to give a little back...they could have easily made a tiny concession to those of us paying for parking: maybe a small food court credit...a coupon for gift shop. Or 2 free FPs. But no, they just add a new cost with nothing of value in exchange. This was on top of higher rates than I paid last year for same all star value room. Suddenly I now must pay an additional 10-15% of the nightly room rate to park (on top of paying $120/night when I paid $100 last year?)
Is there covered parking now at least? Nope...same broiling sun.
Do I get a free car wash at least for my $75-100 extra? Nope.
So no thank you. I voted with my wallet and cancelled my upcoming onsite stay.

Last edited:

Rteetz

They overly marketed the addition of two more minor attractions.
I disagree here. Toy Story Land was marketed less than Pandora in ways. While the attractions were not major e tickets (not everything can or should be) it was a major addition to a park that desperately needs it. The addition also cost a ton of money (yes more than it should have) and if I was running a business of course I would market the heck out of that.

Tick Tock

Another factor which may or may not be contributing to this, but much of the U.S. and the rest of the world has had an unbearably hot UNBEARABLY HOT summer this year. So perhaps this could be influencing some families to refrain from booking a family getaway to the central Fla swamps until the thermostat becomes a bit more merciful (?) While it is obvious Fla is like this in Sep, some people are just over the heat & humidity, making Disney not the ideal getaway for the time being.

Or I'm totally off-base and it's because Star Wars opens next year like everyone else has said is the reason...

cmb5002

Lox from a mobile food stand in 90 degrees and 100% humidity... brave man.
Well, I had salmon sushi at Japan's stand, so....yep. I think I had about 10 orders of the potato pancakes over the last 2 years. I would have been disappointed that they weren't there this year, but we had to move our trip to August.

ThatMouse

Too bad the room rates and availability don't reflect this "softness." I would love some insider stats on occupancy. There is no way these resorts are 100% booked. We have another trip in early Dec we are paying rack rate we snagged early on. Now everything is showing booked, yet we expect our usual moderate to low crowd levels.

Rteetz

Too bad the room rates and availability don't reflect this "softness." I would love some insider stats on occupancy. There is no way these resorts are 100% booked. We have another trip in early Dec we are paying rack rate we snagged early on. Now everything is showing booked, yet we expect our usual moderate to low crowd levels.
Occupancy and park attendance are not equal. You can have high occupancy rates and low park attendance numbers.

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member

Idk about December, but through October they are pushing heavy discounts. Even more so for AP.

@Kingdom Konsultant any thoughts?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom