News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

AugieJ

How large is this building in comparison to RNRC or Space Mountain?

I know this coaster is to be "one of the longest indoor coasters"; will it be longer than both RNRC and SM?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
How large is this building in comparison to RNRC or Space Mountain?

I know this coaster is to be "one of the longest indoor coasters"; will it be longer than both RNRC and SM?

GotG "gravity building" - about 120 feet tall. Footprint 1.9 acres.​
RnRC's gravity building - about 98 feet tall. Footprint 0.75 acres. Length of track: 3,403 ft​

Space Mountain - about 115 feet tall. Footprint 2.0 acres. Length of track: 3,190 ft​

Could the building actually be themed to the Nova Corp headquarters on Xandar? Setup the premise that you are becoming a Nova Corp officer as you go through the new queue building and first mission is to head out in one of those star shaped ships thats in the first film and also in the concept art?

geekza

Could the building actually be themed to the Nova Corp headquarters on Xandar? Setup the premise that you are becoming a Nova Corp officer as you go through the new queue building and first mission is to head out in one of those star shaped ships thats in the first film and also in the concept art?
The only problem with that is that Xandar is not really someplace that is going to be training any Nova Corp members anytime soon. Then again, the folks in Imagineering probably don't really care about something like that. It has been tossed about that it may be the Xandar Pavilion for sort of an intergalactic "World's Fair" in order to keep the attraction tenuously tied to Epcot. They haven't really announced anything official yet, so even those "in the know" here can't really talk details. We'll find out soon enough, I expect.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
The only problem with that is that Xandar is not really someplace that is going to be training any Nova Corp members anytime soon. Then again, the folks in Imagineering probably don't really care about something like that. It has been tossed about that it may be the Xandar Pavilion for sort of an intergalactic "World's Fair" in order to keep the attraction tenuously tied to Epcot. They haven't really announced anything official yet, so even those "in the know" here can't really talk details. We'll find out soon enough, I expect.

Stop with all the logic and reasoning. We all know theming and continuity have no place in a Disney theme park anymore. ;)

geekza

Stop with all the logic and reasoning. We all know theming and continuity have no place in a Disney theme park anymore. ;)
I wouldn't say no theming, but these days it seems to be, "We have these great ideas! Here are our designs." Management comes back with, "Sounds good, but we'll only give you half of the resources and money you need, so pare it down to the essentials. People are still flooding the parks and seem to be content with 'good enough.' Also, see if you can find a way to add an upcharge component."

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I wouldn't say no theming, but these days it seems to be, "We have these great ideas! Here are our designs." Management comes back with, "Sounds good, but we'll only give you half of the resources and money you need, so pare it down to the essentials. People are still flooding the parks and seem to be content with 'good enough.' Also, see if you can find a way to add an upcharge component."

Sounds about right. Cost containment, profit margins, and up-charges have more sway than any of those old, antiquated ideals that only built the theme parks that were at one time marvels of engineering and theming and wonder. No place for that in today's profits-profits-profits motivation of "leadership".

lazyboy97o

These days Walt Disney Imagineering is given obscene amounts of money for projects. Lack of funds isn’t an excuse.

sedati

There's no reason to tie the look of the gravity building to the actual attraction. The old Energy pavilion needs to serve as the sole visual connection as that's where you go to ride it.
Same reason it doesn't make sense for the Soarin building to give any visual cues as to what's inside it because you only see it from places where the theme is completely different. What's more, neither the Soarin building or the gravity buildiing can work as weinies as you can't actually get to them and trying to would most likely send you to the wrong place.
I'm not saying they shouldn't be themed or look nice, but it would be better have those structures serve the area for which they are most visible, and not for what's actually inside.
Just my opinion.

Last edited:

OG Runner

I really enjoy Disney coasters and find a coaster with some type of enclosure lets me enjoy a coaster more.
I have ridden Space Mountain and Rock n Roller Coaster tons of time, but I couldn't get myself on the Hulk
coaster when I went to Universal. During construction though it really is cool to see the layout of the ride,
as with the current Harry Potter coaster being built and realizing we probably won't have an idea of the
ride elements of this coaster until we ride it, when it is opened.

azox

I really enjoy Disney coasters and find a coaster with some type of enclosure lets me enjoy a coaster more.
I have ridden Space Mountain and Rock n Roller Coaster tons of time, but I couldn't get myself on the Hulk
coaster when I went to Universal. During construction though it really is cool to see the layout of the ride,
as with the current Harry Potter coaster being built and realizing we probably won't have an idea of the
ride elements of this coaster until we ride it, when it is opened.

I agree with you about enjoying enclosed coasters. I have been to other parks and none of their enclosed coasters seem to be as good as Disney and Universals. RNRC, SM and the MUMMY are all great coasters. The darkness gives them an awesome element of surprise and makes you feel like you are going faster than you really are :) I am glad to see us getting GOTG and Tron in the coming years to add to the lineup! (now if Universal would only bring Space fantasy ()
to Orlando!!!)

eddie104

I agree with you about enjoying enclosed coasters. I have been to other parks and none of their enclosed coasters seem to be as good as Disney and Universals. RNRC, SM and the MUMMY are all great coasters. The darkness gives them an awesome element of surprise and makes you feel like you are going faster than you really are :) I am glad to see us getting GOTG and Tron in the coming years to add to the lineup! (now if Universal would only bring Space fantasy ()
to Orlando!!!)
Maybe the new 3rd gate would add something like that.

sedati

Blog Mickey has some new pics of the tunnel structure going up:
http://blogmickey.com/2018/09/photo...s-for-guardians-of-the-galaxy-roller-coaster/
I think the assumption was that it would be a horizontal section only, but I'm thinking the entry side may go vertical before it enters the main gravity building. It's taller than it seems there's need for, and I'm seeing angled braces for the topmost pieces. Hard to say from the pics, but steel's going in fast and we should have a clearer picture day by day.

raymusiccity

to Orlando!!!)

Space Fantasy looks like it's right up Universal's alley......lots of screens and mirrors!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom