News Disney Riviera Resort announced

GoofGoof

Premium Member
OK, found the source. It was in a very recent DVC promo video on the DVC website, which confirmed a “European Riviera theme” for the new resort.

Those of you in the US, whether members or not, can view it if you are willing to give them your name and address details. Otherwise you’ll just have to wait I guess, until they choose to make further details - probably at the Condo Meeting in December.
Good find. The exact quote is “Riviera Resort, inspired by the charming European seaside”. That puts to bed the debate over which Riviera the resort will be based on.

I think the architecture is loosely based on French Riviera hotels like these:
F474525E-D906-4B2F-AF22-0638D2A60F68.jpeg

80E476F9-9806-4A69-AAE2-9D0FC3E8D7E9.jpeg

Concept Art:
020F9C73-43E0-4654-9426-9D58C456BA3E.jpeg

The concept art has similar elements like the wrought iron oven the windows/balconies and some of the rounded structures on the roof.

nickys

Premium Member
Good find. The exact quote is “Riviera Resort, inspired by the charming European seaside”. That puts to bed the debate over which Riviera the resort will be based on.

I think the architecture is loosely based on French Riviera hotels like these:
View attachment 308216
View attachment 308217
Concept Art:
View attachment 308228
The concept art has similar elements like the wrought iron oven the windows/balconies and some of the rounded structures on the roof.

Thanks for the actual quote.

I have not been able to watch the video yet, :mad::mad: and they have not responded to my query whether this was intentional or inadvertent! Probably the former, I know DVC can’t sell direct in certain states and internationally.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Thanks for the actual quote.

I have not been able to watch the video yet, :mad::mad: and they have not responded to my query whether this was intentional or inadvertent! Probably the former, I know DVC can’t sell direct in certain states and internationally.
That could be the case. It is basically a sales video to get owners to buy add on points. The video focuses mostly on recent new additions and some already known stuff about SW Land. The part about Riviera is at the very end but doesn’t give any additional concept art or details.

nickys

Premium Member
That could be the case. It is basically a sales video to get owners to buy add on points. The video focuses mostly on recent new additions and some already known stuff about SW Land. The part about Riviera is at the very end but doesn’t give any additional concept art or details.

Except confirming the European Riviera theme!

Which actually turned out to be a huge discussion point. I hadn’t actually considered any other possibility until this thread; I guess to anyone in Europe, “Riviera” means France (and maybe Monaco). Now I have a whole new perspective on the subject. :D

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Any news or updates on this?
I think the official word from Disney is opening fall 2019. However, they got the official timeshare license back in July. If this follows history with DVC projects that would put the potential opening date around May 2019 which is in the ballpark of when the gondolas are expected to open too. The next step in the DVC construction process is filing the master declaration which should happen really soon. Sales could actually begin in early 2019 if the resort really opened in May. Copper Creek at Wilderness Lodge (which is the current resort being actively marketed) is about half sold and not on pace to be sold out until next July or August so that may be a reason to delay the start of sales for this project.

As far as theme or details on amenities...nothing new. Construction looks to be moving along pretty well based on pictures posted.

nickys

Premium Member
Any news or updates on this?

I think they may wait until the Condo Association Meeting in early December to release further details and concept art for it. It makes sense for them to have a “big reveal” there, especially if they tease it beforehand, to entice DVC members along.

Bocabear

with it's visibility to the World Showcase, they really need to up their game on thematic decor on this resort...Unfortunately I think the concept art is exactly what we are getting...a common slightly themed Marriott hotel with a sightline directly into the World Showcase...
It's like they don't even care anymore...
seriously.. bad!

eddie104

with it's visibility to the World Showcase, they really need to up their game on thematic decor on this resort...Unfortunately I think the concept art is exactly what we are getting...a common slightly themed Marriott hotel with a sightline directly into the World Showcase...
It's like they don't even care anymore...
seriously.. bad!
I think we get you don't like a lot of decisions they have been making whether thematically or design wise but your attitude seems very negative and kind of ruins the excitement of these projects. Not trying to be disrespectful by the way just sharing my thoughts.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
If that's the goal then they should increase the ornateness of the exterior in comparison to the concept art. More columns, pilasters, ballustrades, plaster inlays, mouldings, friezes and crown adornments.
I think there will end up being a lot more detail than people are expecting. The site that shall not be named had a recent picture update which showed the framing for some of the decorative elements on the roof and the rather large porte-cochere (drive up thingy that you park under when checking in, used the French term since this is supposed to be French Riviera :)). I’m not sure how many additional faux adornments they will add to the front of the structure since they aren’t at that point yet in construction. I doubt this will be as iconic as Wilderness Lodge or Polynesian but I do think the tower will still look impressive when approaching by car. I’m interested on seeing more detail on the pool area and also rooftop restaurant. Those elements will make or break the resort.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think they may wait until the Condo Association Meeting in early December to release further details and concept art for it. It makes sense for them to have a “big reveal” there, especially if they tease it beforehand, to entice DVC members along.
The timing makes sense for that. I think we will see some better concept art and maybe even more details on amenities and theme. I still feel like the only reason we got the very limited and intentionally uninspiring art they released is because they needed to explain what Riviera was when they released the news about the gondolas since it has a dedicated stop. The last thing the DVC sales team wants is potential buyers getting all worked up over the next project and deciding to wait instead of buying at Copper Creek.

Lensman

Bioreconstruct posted a new aerials today:

Definitely a second pool on the peninsula. I'm not sure what the other concrete elements are, but the concrete doesn't have the continuity to be another pool to my eye. Maybe the one on the right by the shoreline will be a gator-proof sandy area? And there's one depression surrounded by an earthen berm that that looks like it had to be pumped out.

There's also a link to a recent Skyliner station photo over in the Skyliner thread.

Last edited:

Bocabear

I think we get you don't like a lot of decisions they have been making whether thematically or design wise but your attitude seems very negative and kind of ruins the excitement of these projects. Not trying to be disrespectful by the way just sharing my thoughts.
The whole point of a discussion thread is to share your thoughts...I was discussing what I was seeing...not other members, but thanks for taking a moment to do that...and I am sorry I am not excited about what I am seeing...How can one be excited about bad design decisions? If you want all sunshine and roses there is a Disney owned website where you can all breathlessly discuss each and every detail or lack thereof.... We were discussing this particular project...and man I WISH they would do something amazing and surprising and beautiful.... I would LOVE to feel positive about it.

Missing20K

I think there will end up being a lot more detail than people are expecting. The site that shall not be named had a recent picture update which showed the framing for some of the decorative elements on the roof and the rather large porte-cochere (drive up thingy that you park under when checking in, used the French term since this is supposed to be French Riviera :)). I’m not sure how many additional faux adornments they will add to the front of the structure since they aren’t at that point yet in construction. I doubt this will be as iconic as Wilderness Lodge or Polynesian but I do think the tower will still look impressive when approaching by car. I’m interested on seeing more detail on the pool area and also rooftop restaurant. Those elements will make or break the resort.

Perhaps, but my bet is we get almost exactly what the concept art shows. I'm hoping for more, but I just don't see it. For me at least, the pool area and rooftop restaurant elements should enhance the project, not make or break it.

Bocabear

How many hotels do you stay in for the exterior though? It's more about what the resort can offer and what it looks like inside (lobby, rooms, restaurants, pool). It's Disney - I'm sure it'll look great.
If that was the case, all of the hotels around WDW would currently look like Holiday Inns and Marriott Boxes...Of course the exterior look of the hotel is an important part of the entire project... Why would they have bothered with any thematic resorts if people only care about having a pool and quick serve restaurant and an average hotel room? By your point, your own Wilderness Lodge that yuou use as a name on here would be just as nice if it was a Hampton Inn in the woods. Why bother making it look special? Why bother with the soaring ceilings, waterfalls and decor trappings....

ABQ

if the rooftop bar is anything like the Aventura hotel at UNI..then count me in for a stay
And that's the irony of the current resort building trends at WDW and Uni for that part. I can't blame @Bocabear for being disappointed in the way WDW is building, but they're unlikely to risk too much in their budget when the competition down the road can build the Fidget Spinner resort and, if it sells well, why do much more? Aventura is a pretty boring office tower. Why would Disney go all in making a new Faux Polynesia or the like when people keep buying rooms in a downtown office building each night?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom