News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

PizzaPlanet

Think of it to have been a self contained mini land, accessible from Sunset and possibly Hollywood.

No more of a jump from Grand Av to SWL.
I see what you're saying, but to me it seems silly to make that jump for a mini land and an indoor rollercoaster when there's already one at the end of Sunset. Anyway thanks for the information, it's interesting to think about alternate proposals that were rejected.

Timothy_Q

Could the Magic Kingdom have gotten a new ride that added more variety instead of Tron next to SM? Sure!

But considering all the stupid decisions happening right now (GotG in Epcot, closing GMR, possibly Indy in AK), I'm choosing to be happy about Tomorrowland ganing a new ride that feels futuristic, that isn't character-centric, that isn't replacing anything, and that's part of an update to a land that critically needs it.

The positives substantially outweigh the negatives

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I see what you're saying, but to me it seems silly to make that jump for a mini land and an indoor rollercoaster when there's already one at the end of Sunset. Anyway thanks for the information, it's interesting to think about alternate proposals that were rejected.
Maybe that’s why it was rejected?

Yeah, Disney would never put two covered coasters so close to eachother!

Next Big Thing

The latest information we have is from the latest photos.

Just be patient and wait until the next batch are taken to find out the answer your question.

All questions will be answered in time through those photographs.
I am patient, I’m simply wondering and my question was more posed at insiders who may know.

doctornick

I understand that, and it works for that show to be isolated from the rest of the park. But having a single sci-fi themed ride weirdly disconnected from everything else makes no sense.

That seems odd anyway since a big selling point for Tron is the canopy and having the outdoor portion provide kinetic energy in the land. Isolating and hiding the ride devalues that.

I agree specifically because of how well TRON is part of Tomorrowland in Shanghai. It doesn’t seem to be nearly as well intertwined for WDW, and instead, it is sort of it’s own thing.

It'll be somewhat to the side, sure, but it seems to me that the ride will be close to if not over part of the Speedway which will provide some nice views while riding that. And over the train berm -- even if the train is covered right under Tron, you should still be able to view Tron as you approach on the RR. And the canopy definitely goes over the walkway between TL and the Circus

IMDREW

There will be major congestions on the speedway under the canopy cause everyone will be looking up instead of forward :hilarious:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Will the speedway get rerouted?

If so, anything major? Or just along the lines of the final curve that keeps getting shortened?

There is no overlap of TRON with Speedway.

1533832288018.png

Timothy_Q

The white part. Check the artist's rendering.
Marni has previously said that rendering isn't very accurate.

That's why I'm asking if the current plans include major rerouting (a more exciting track layout) or just shortening some curves to fit the Tron plans. Seems the Speedway revamp has gone through many different propositions

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The white part. Check the artist's rendering.

The path of the Speedway is changing, but because of the path to TRON, not because of the TRON ride itself.
Marni has previously said that rendering isn't very accurate.

That's why I'm asking if the current plans include major rerouting (a more exciting track layout) or just shortening some curves to fit the Tron plans. Seems the Speedway revamp has gone through many different propositions

The speedway shouldn’t be affected. Hopefully it will be altered by its own overhaul but I don’t expect the layout to change.

The TRON entrance has been proposed in several places.

Giraffiki

The TRON entrance has been proposed in several places.

That's an interesting thing to say. Do you mean that it could work like Shanghai (pathway from near current smokers path), or more of a direct route from a path that runs between Space and Tron kind of where the temporary exit is now?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
That's an interesting thing to say. Do you mean that it could work like Shanghai (pathway from near current smokers path), or more of a direct route from a path that runs between Space and Tron kind of where the temporary exit is now?
Several options have been mooted for the "grand entrance path". Once they’ve built it I’ll go into the other options.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom