Do you think you would be a Disney fan if your first time was recently?

My first rip was 1980. Now planning trip No. 28 for next May. Yes, it is not the same. Wouldn't it be a bit boring if it was? Yes, it is much more crowded. This is a result of Disney's success and you really can't fault them for that. Yes, it is much more expensive. What isn't? And it is still the best value for what you get because there is no place like it. If starting out, would I like it just as much? Without a doubt! And my Special Needs 48 year old son would never let me go without him!

Minnesota disney fan

My husbands work mate went to WDW last year for the first time. He is a young man with a wife and 5 y/o little girl. The MIL gifted them with a princess themed trip centered on the little girl, being the only girl grandchild:) They were only there for 4 days during MEA, and they LOVED it and can't wait to go back. They were in awe of everything and didn't begin to get to do much more than a 5 y/o would want to do. They did Cinderella's castle dinner, Bibbidy-Bobbity-Boutique (sp?), and all the little kid rides. They all had a fantastic time. They are awaiting another trip when they can get off during school breaks, the only time they can go. My husband and this person talk Disney all the time. This is one family who really is brand new to WDW and loved every bit of it.

We go once a year, and have been for several years, and continue to love WDW. We have not done even half of our bucket list. So our love of Disney goes on, even with all the changes.

Just wanted to give a perspective of a new family who loves Disney, as it is now.

Nancy Hutchings

First time was in 1971. I have been 40 times since then. The last time was in 2016. While I feel Disney has lost some "Magic" I'm sure I would still be the Disney addict I am even if 2016 was the first time!! That feeling you get when you're walking down Main Street with the castle in view! Nothing else like it!

nj_to_wdw

For what it's worth, my answer is pretty simple. My first trip was on my honeymoon in 1978, and we've been back uncounted times since. Lately we have been staying in the Polynesian and Grand Floridian, but I despise the Fast Pass+ system, there is always construction going on, but nothing ever seems to improve with the attractions (they close some and open others). They increase security hurdles and charge more for parking, and it seems like they are "phoning it in". I have walked into stand up restaurants where there were no employees. Doors were open, nobody around, even when we shouted "Are you open?" My wife and I are currently planning our April 2019 vacation and are trying to decide whether to stay in the park anymore, or just "satellite out" from Orlando to assorted attractions, one or two days being Disney World (instead of our usual 5 or 6 day stay in the park). Our last trip was in 2017.

PTL76

For what it's worth, my answer is pretty simple. My first trip was on my honeymoon in 1978, and we've been back uncounted times since. Lately we have been staying in the Polynesian and Grand Floridian, but I despise the Fast Pass+ system, there is always construction going on, but nothing ever seems to improve with the attractions (they close some and open others). They increase security hurdles and charge more for parking, and it seems like they are "phoning it in". I have walked into stand up restaurants where there were no employees. Doors were open, nobody around, even when we shouted "Are you open?" My wife and I are currently planning our April 2019 vacation and are trying to decide whether to stay in the park anymore, or just "satellite out" from Orlando to assorted attractions, one or two days being Disney World (instead of our usual 5 or 6 day stay in the park). Our last trip was in 2017.

After visiting the parks from the 1970’s on probably 50 times I retired in 2016 and purchased a home 10 miles from Disney in a Golf community. We use it January, February and March and rent it out the rest of the year. We are hearing from our renters that most of them are renting because of the proximity to Disney and that they used to always stay on the grounds.at Disney but it has gotten to expensive to stay. I think more and more people are starting to “satellite out” as you called it.

Randyland

To reply to the questions as posed, the answer is YES, if it were my first visit, I would love what I experienced... That said, it is important to understand that as someone who starting going in the Spring of 1972, I can state with complete honestly that the UNDYING LOVE that was planted in my heart in the first decade could NEVER be a scratch on my finger today in comparison. We who know better, see the changes and it hurts us deeply. There is still plenty of Magic that can be found if you look for it, but I come from a time when you never needed to look to find the Magic... The MAGIC was EVERYWHERE, in EVERYTHING, and in the HEARTS of EVERYONE. I feel very blessed that I was there to be a part of that MAGIC from the start... I carry it with me everywhere and I will until I die... However, it is only plain to see that things today are nothing like they once were. And I fear things will never be the same as they once were again.

LittleBuford

Yes! My first time was as a child in 1991, my second as a teen in 1996, and my third as a young adult in 2001. I didn’t return again until last year, and that was my most enjoyable visit by far. It helps that the crowds honestly don’t bother me and that I had a fantastic experience using FP+.

geekza

To reply to the questions as posed, the answer is YES, if it were my first visit, I would love what I experienced... That said, it is important to understand that as someone who starting going in the Spring of 1972, I can state with complete honestly that the UNDYING LOVE that was planted in my heart in the first decade could NEVER be a scratch on my finger today in comparison. We who know better, see the changes and it hurts us deeply. There is still plenty of Magic that can be found if you look for it, but I come from a time when you never needed to look to find the Magic... The MAGIC was EVERYWHERE, in EVERYTHING, and in the HEARTS of EVERYONE. I feel very blessed that I was there to be a part of that MAGIC from the start... I carry it with me everywhere and I will until I die... However, it is only plain to see that things today are nothing like they once were. And I fear things will never be the same as they once were again.
You nailed it. It's still a really great place, but for those of us who experienced WDW during its "Golden Age," we can see what is missing now.

OG Runner

I am going to give you the answer, I think you were looking for, when you posted the question. It is a bit harder, now, to become
as enamored with the parks than it used to be. There is much more to planning a trip to WDW now. The costs are higher and depending
on the time of the year, the crowds are huge. You need to work a bit harder to get the most out of your trip, to go on the rides you want,
to eat where you want to. (I still haven't been able to get dinner reservations at Be Our Guest.) That being said, there is nothing or nowhere that matches WDW. Everything from walking down Main Street, to taking a ride on the monorail, brings me a great deal of
joy. My first trip to WDW was in 1986, and I went and I only went 5 times between then and 2000. I did not go between 2004 and 2014, but have gone just about each year since. I am a fan and the changes have not changed that.

JiminyandTink

For sure, because it's still amazing and I wouldn't know what I was missing. Maybe I wouldn't have the exact same sentimental/emotional attachment I have now, but I would certainly still be a huge fan.

EthylCooper

If my first visit were now, I think I'd like them, but not love them. I'd definitely be more impressed with Universal than Disney, but I would still see Disney as a step or two above Six Flags. A couple of decades ago Disney would have blown Universal out of the water and left Six Flags looking like a county fair. Their history seems to be cyclical though, so hopefully the quality/value will cycle back up again eventually.

LittleBuford

If my first visit were now, I think I'd like them, but not love them. I'd definitely be more impressed with Universal than Disney, but I would still see Disney as a step or two above Six Flags. A couple of decades ago Disney would have blown Universal out of the water and left Six Flags looking like a county fair. Their history seems to be cyclical though, so hopefully the quality/value will cycle back up again eventually.

A step or two?! You're a tough customer!

EthylCooper

A step or two?! You're a tough customer!

Have you been to Six Flags recently? The rides are amazing, the theming is nice, and in terms of value per dollar, it actually surpasses Disney. Give them another shot if you haven't been in a while, especially if you're a fan of thrill rides.

OG Runner

I am sorry, but you are an example of a vocal minority. Different individuals on these boards have noted Universal is more impressive than Disney. I am sorry, but the numbers just do not bear that out. When one Disney park, the Magic Kingdom, has higher attendance figures than both of the Universal parks put together, it isn't hard to tell which is more impressive. You are entitled to your opinion and
not everyone likes Disney more, but many more people select Disney.

LittleBuford

Have you been to Six Flags recently? The rides are amazing, the theming is nice, and in terms of value per dollar, it actually surpasses Disney. Give them another shot if you haven't been in a while, especially if you're a fan of thrill rides.

Ah, I’m not a fan of thrill rides, which I think explains the difference in our thinking. For me, it’s all about theming, immersion, and the Disney brand, which is what got me hooked in the first place.

EthylCooper

I am sorry, but you are an example of a vocal minority. Different individuals on these boards have noted Universal is more impressive than Disney. I am sorry, but the numbers just do not bear that out. When one Disney park, the Magic Kingdom, has higher attendance figures than both of the Universal parks put together, it isn't hard to tell which is more impressive. You are entitled to your opinion and

But how much of that is due to quality, and how much is due to the reputation the park earned over the past few decades but isn't necessarily living up to now? Obviously I don't have the means to survey a representative sample or anything, but I know several sets of people who've come back from a first trip in the last two or three years, and WWoHP has been the big winner as far as what they all rave about when they return.

geekza

I don't know that it's fair to compare guest sentiment to attendance numbers. While you can certainly see a broad satisfaction rate when looking at the attendance numbers and their continued increase, WDW has the benefit of, well, being WDW and having almost a 20 year head start on Universal. WDW practically built central FL as we know it today. At this point, WDW is riding on its history as much as it is its current level of quality.

I don't think it can be discounted that, especially since the opening of the Potter lands at Universal, the general impression of quality level at Universal has grown. I don't think that we'll see a time soon when people make an effort to come to Universal and skip Disney, but I also don't think it's outside of the realm of possibility that this could happen in the future.

TL/DR Attendance numbers aren't everything.

OG Runner

I don't know that it's fair to compare guest sentiment to attendance numbers. While you can certainly see a broad satisfaction rate when looking at the attendance numbers and their continued increase, WDW has the benefit of, well, being WDW and having almost a 20 year head start on Universal. WDW practically built central FL as we know it today. At this point, WDW is riding on its history as much as it is its current level of quality.

I don't think it can be discounted that, especially since the opening of the Potter lands at Universal, the general impression of quality level at Universal has grown. I don't think that we'll see a time soon when people make an effort to come to Universal and skip Disney, but I also don't think it's outside of the realm of possibility that this could happen in the future.

TL/DR Attendance numbers aren't everything.

I am not saying attendance numbers are everything, but as I said, when one parks attendance is higher than the attendance of the "other" two parks, by about 10,000,000, they are something.

OG Runner

But how much of that is due to quality, and how much is due to the reputation the park earned over the past few decades but isn't necessarily living up to now? Obviously I don't have the means to survey a representative sample or anything, but I know several sets of people who've come back from a first trip in the last two or three years, and WWoHP has been the big winner as far as what they all rave about when they return.

I went to Disney World in January of this year. I then went to Universal in May of this year. The WWoHP is truly impressive, and I am a big
Potter fan, I went through the shops and rode all of the rides. They are excellent fun parks. I even rode the newest F&F ride. (not impressed) I was virtually dropped on screen rides for the Minions, Jimmy Fallon, The Simpsons, and the Transformers, all in one park.
As fun as that was, the variety is not there and the numbers bear this out.

Bpmorley

10 years ago maybe. Not now more than likely. If i was going for my first time now I'd have given up hearing about all the planning you have to do 120, 90, 60 or 30 days out.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom